“Real South East Asia Flavor”
Review of Mamak

Mamak
Ranked #111 of 4,330 Restaurants in Melbourne
Cuisines: Malaysian
Dining options: Late Night
Neighborhood: Central Business District
Reviewed July 15, 2013

The food in Mamak is good !
I went there for dinner with friends, kind of surprised the taste is very authentic and similar to our Indonesian flavor. What a taste of home :D
We had yummy and spicy Sambal Sotong, crispy Ayam Goreng, and flavorful Kacang Panjang Belacan. 3 main course for 4 persons, and we're well fed.
I want to try the dessert, however the foods were really good with rice, too full for dessert.

The place is well decorated but the tables quite small... we kind of have to "squished" the plates to fit the table. And service need to be improve (quicker).

1  Thank Young_Fenfen

Reviewed July 9, 2013

This place was packed with a line out the door and down the side walk. The tables are very cramped and too small to hold everyone's food. The food was very good.

Reviewed June 25, 2013

I went for lunch with my colleagues. They chose the lunch special options with sambal sotong/ kari ayam and rice. I thought I would have the Nasi Lemak with the addition of sambal udang. Theirs arrived with a heap of sotong (squid). Whereas mine came with two prawns in sambal! And coconut rice, anchovies, peanuts and not much else. I’m not about how much money you pay, but the value. And this wasn’t worth the value.

The teh tarik was too sweet and I couldn't taste any flavour of tea if there was any. Safe to say, if you're going there for lunch opt for the lunch specials. After all I have heard about Mamak, this was disappointing. After I get over this, I may go back, but I know what I'm ordering!

Reviewed June 25, 2013

In one of my previous reviews I mentioned 'Nasi Kandar Pelita', a Mamak in Kuala Lumpur. The food at Mamak was just as good. I had roti canai, of course. I also had kari ayam with rice as a lunch special. The chicken pieces were still on the bone, as they should be and the gravy was a palate explosion of spices and coconut milk. Unusually there were lots of whole spices, such as cloves, Black and green cardamom and star anise.
On arrival you can't help but notice the three full-time roti makers just inside the window. This is like authentic Mamaks where roti is made to order and arrives fresh and steaming to your table. This is served with two dipping sauces. The rest of the food is prepared at in a kitchen at the rear, but the stars of the show are at the front. Only one niggle, the rice was poor, overcooked and low quality.
The tables are small and as the restaurant got busier it got quite cramped. However this is not a place to linger, but merely to eat and go. The service is quick and efficient and they are obviously used to dealing with crowds.
I will be back to try the satay next time I am in town. It is well worth the trip! Of course Mamaks being Muslim are not licensed.

Reviewed June 16, 2013

The restaurant name is self-explanatory as MAMAK serves authentic Malaysian food. Ordered Nasi Lemak + Fried Chicken and boy was I not disappointed. The Teh Halia (Ginger Tea) that I ordered also fulfilled its purpose on a cold winters day (Teh Halia warms the body pretty fast) My advice is that in order to get maximum benefits and minimize waiting times from MAMAK, try going early (eg: before 1pm) and avoid the lunch crowd as there's a strong reason why it's so popular during lunch time. The waiting staff were also pleasant with customers and efficient in delivering meals.