“Something different and new”
Review of Mamak

Mamak
Ranked #108 of 4,153 Restaurants in Melbourne
Cuisines: Malaysian
Dining options: Late Night
Neighborhood: Central Business District
Reviewed May 30, 2013 via mobile

I was presently surprise when walked pass Mamaks in melbourne apparently I went on opening night and it was packed, I knew what was good and ordered and loved it. My first experiance was a trip to Sydney I looked up places to go and they said if there's a cue then it's good and visited Mamaks in Sydney. We of course went a few times on our stay and loved it.
Id call it an experience of something recommended if looking for an affordable place to eat, most dishes I'd share with another.
It's not a cafe its not quite but when ive been its been busy, it's a social gathering a place to meet after a long day at work and another style of eating in the varse selection melbourne has to offer I'd go back I like busy and culture

There are newer reviews for Mamak

Reviewed May 26, 2013

Mamak Melbourne is an offshoot of the Sydney restaurants of the same name that regularly have queues down the street as none of them take reservations.
We ate there for Saturday lunch. Seating and service was fast, professional and friendly. This is a place to eat, not to talk or go for a special occasion or the atmosphere. Cost was a modest $30 for two for a fast lunch of a few bits and pieces.
Food was genuine spicy Malaysian hawker style with authentic flavours. The specialty roti are great and the satay sauce was to die for. Would go back or recommend it anytime to anyone who loves this style of food.

Reviewed May 2, 2013 via mobile

Amazing, affordable food. Having lived in Malaysia it brought back so many delicious memories of food courts and hawker centres. Will definitely be heading back

Reviewed May 2, 2013

Recommended by a local - so we went early about 5:30 to avoid the queues. The place was half full - so was seated quickly and ordered lots of food. Once we finished ordering, we looked around and it was almost full up! we had the roti and the satay and fried chicken to start with - all 3 were fantastic - great taste esp. the peanut sauce to accompany the satay chicken. Then we went for Nasi Lemak with the cuttlefish covered in that lovely spicy sweet sauce and the lamb curry. The lamb was fab - tender and plenty of flavour. Their national dish - unusual combination of textures and tastes but worked really well. No space for desserts but left the restaurant happy. There was a long queue by the time we left about 90 mins later. If you are in Melbourne - GO!

Reviewed April 26, 2013

I recently went for lunch expecting a lot of this highly regarded cheap restaurant. I possibly was expecting too much. Yes the meal I received was very tasty but nothing better than many other similar type restaurants that can be found in Melbourne. My Malaysian Chicken Curry came with rice and at 11$ for lunch was good value, the same dish at dinner for 16$ is not so good value. For me it was no better than i make from the canned malaysian curry sauces with a bit of cinnamon bark thrown in. The roti is better and as all reviewers note it is very good, light and fluffy accompanied by tasty dipping curries.

I will give it another go and return with friends so that I can try more dishes. Just a side note if you are after a truly cheap edible meal then try the nearby Indonesian Blok M not too far away and it is 1/3 rd to 1/2 the price of Mamak. Serves classic Indonesian street foods at oh so good prices - but with only one cook and one waitress do not expect super service and the food may come out in a random to what you want order.