“Great for a business lunch”
Review of Virginia Plain - CLOSED

Virginia Plain
Cuisines: European, French, Wine Bar
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Central Business District
Melbourne, Australia
“Great for a business lunch”
Reviewed December 5, 2012

A business lunch today at Virginia Plain was an absolute pleasure. Service is standout, paticularly the sommelier. Food was interesting, perfection in execution and price. I am so sick of share plates, no booking policy, loud spaces and crowded tables. For a business lunch, I want none of these. Efficient, affordable, atmosphere and service-focused. I'm so happy I work nearby in Flinders Lane.

1 Thank Gallasingery

Sydney, Australia
“Ticks all the boxes”
Reviewed November 14, 2012

Great space, excellent food, attentive service and interesting music.
Oh... and the wine list has some great selections.
Loved the crab sandwich, the baccala (salt cod) and the steak tartare.
Despite the strong competition in the area, Virginia Plain holds its own amongst the Little Flinders restaurant offerings.

• Visited November 2012
Melbourne, Australia
“What's her name? Virginia Plain!”
Reviewed November 5, 2012

I always liked the Roxy Music song, strange, even for Bryan Ferry, vocals ending abruptly with the words to my review title. Anything with Brian Eno on the synthesiser is going to be worth a listen I reckon. So when a friend said she had recently been to VP and wanted to go back I eagerly accompanied her. We chose the 4 course degustation. The waiter recommended a white wine from Italy the name of which I do not know but it was heaven. We started with the artichoke salad. I just don't know what to say - it was sublime - little chips of deep fried Jerusalem artichokes in a salad with globe artichoke and some hazelnut dressing that was pure magic. Our next course was Prawn cocktail - delicious prawns some deep fried, some cold - very nice. Next was a lamb dish with lamb cooked two ways. The 36 hour lamb was a winner, the somewhat cold barely cooked lamb cutlet not to my liking. Dessert was a chocolate fondant with vanilla ice cream beautifully presented and if I could connect my stupid Samsung to the computer I would include a photo. I'm not a great chocolate dessert fan as they are usually too sweet but this was not - delicious, rich dark chocolate. I really like the decor - looks to be lots of cushioning so when it gets full it shouldn't be too noisy. Staff are excellent. I will be back - pretty good value $70 each plus tips. I know if I were in Flinders Lane wondering which restaurant in the vicinity I would chose - Virginia Plain is much more interesting. This deserves to "make the big time"! (Hopefully it was named after the song and not the cigarettes!).

• Visited November 2012
Melbourne, Australia
“Lovely - staff and food”
Reviewed October 17, 2012

Really enjoyed today's lunch of the crab sandwich and the carrot gnocchi. The staff were lovely. We'll be back,

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank 1602Bernadette
Exeter, United Kingdom
“Excellent service”
Reviewed October 15, 2012

Whilst on holiday read a good review in Sydney newspaper so decided to try VP on a Monday night. Even thought the large restaurant was 90% empty staff were attentive and our waitress in particular was very knowledgeable about both wine and food choices. Food was imaginative and well presented. Only criticism would be that our choice of a Seafood Stew for two was rather sparing on the contents, containing only 8 mussels, 4 clams and three small pieces of fish between two people (which we mentioned).

• Visited October 2012