“Always a treat”

Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
“Always a treat”
Reviewed May 24, 2014

We discovered this little gem in Balaclava. The place is a bit hard to find the first time, but oh boy, once you know where it is, you will keep on coming back. The atmosphere is great, the staff are super friendly and helpful and the food is fantastic. I do not drink coffee, but it smells great and my coffee-snob husband claims it is great. Their spicy chai is the best I ever had. I have gone back many times and tried many different vegan dishes. All of it has been really delicious. There is a banana bread breakfast, fantastic! Mushrooms on toast - loved it! For lunch they have different dishes displayed on a blackboard - they have all be super delicious. The pastries are truly wicked too. This is my favourite restaurant that serve the best vegan food in Melbourne.
Many non-vegans go there for the great food and coffee too.

• Visited May 2014

“One of the best in Melbourne”
Reviewed March 21, 2014 via mobile

I love this little café. The food is great and affordable, large servings and always fresh. The coffee is amazing too!

1 Thank Anne9132
Norwich, United Kingdom
“Great place for breakfast”
Reviewed March 16, 2014 via mobile

We are visiting family in St Kilda and they took us here for breakfast, we did wonder where we were going when guided down a side alleyway and saw the place BUT it was great, buzzing and a nice atmosphere, we all really enjoyed everything we ordered, the Blackpool breakfast was great, the mushroom dish really tasty but the banana cake with fried banana was the best, we will be back again very soon ( oh and the coffee was good too!)

Visited March 2014
“Some of the best vegetarian and vegan fare in town”
Reviewed December 29, 2013 via mobile

The first time I tried to find this place it took me about 20 mins of marching up and down Carlisle street, but it was well worth the effort as the Monk is a shining pearl of a cafe! Beautifully made coffee, chai to die for and a simple but beyond fabulous array of breakfast, lunch and dinner items fit to burst with vegetarian and vegan deliciousness (dinner on Fridays only last time I checked). Exceptionally friendly staff. TINY place so be prepared to wait for a spot.. however they're always willing to bring you a coffee outside while you hang about - very charming!

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank Felicity_and_Ian
Echuca
“Ridiculously hard to find: Ridiculously worth it”
Reviewed December 23, 2013

This place can be so hard to find if you'r not a local that simply getting there should be worth getting your first cup free. Won't cost them a cent because the coffee is so good you'll order another one. I even asked a local who said he was a coffee drinker and all I got out of him was that the place didn't exist. I got so desperate that I stood in the rain and typed in the number of the shop directly behind me (into Maps on my iPad) and it said to turn left in ONE METER! Got to be joking: there is only a scungy little pebbly lane leading to a staff car park area. Right? Wrong! Desperation won out and I made my way down the laneway to discover a tiny little coffee gem. There were three different single origins on offer and I loved every one of them.
The place is small beyond belief so be prepared.

• Visited October 2013