Afternoon Tea - The Windsor Melbourne
Ranked #13 of 4,246 Restaurants in Melbourne
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Central Business District
Reviewed August 24, 2014

A delightful High Tea in an historic setting, very simple in presentation and classic sandwiches and scones. Modest selection of teas, well steeped. Nice touch to have clotted cream, which you don't see at The Pierre. However the $20 per glass for Aussie champagne, plus $69 prix fixe, make this a very expensive outing especially if you have children, who pay full tariff at 13!

Nigel M, Manager at Afternoon Tea - The Windsor Melbourne, responded to this reviewResponded September 4, 2014

Dear jhngll
It is fantastic to hear you enjoyed your visit.
We do include French sparkling in our price and have a range of 12 different teas.
I will bear in mind children pricing for our next review.
Nigel

Write a ReviewReviews (1,143)

Reviewed August 22, 2014

I took my daughter here as a special treat and it was so delicious. The service on arrival was very high class and we were treated like queens. The High Tea started with sandwiches and while there was nothing over the top about them, they were absolutely delicious. Followed that up with lovely hot scones with jam, lemon curd and cream. We were already full by this point. We then finished it off with tiny little cakes that were so special. So much work in every little piece of cake. And to be honest I had to leave 1 behind. It broke my heart but I could not fit that last little cake in. This is really a luxury experience and something that would be lovely for special occasions. There was quite a lot of 'Happy Birthday' being sung around me. I had an internet special voucher for this occasion but the price without it is very expensive and I would never pay that sort of money for coffee and cake. I would not recommend bringing kids to this. Its a lot of money to spend.

Dear JackieMack
Great treat for your daughter.
I am delighted to hear you enjoyed the food and service so much.
Lots of effort goes into making our pastries special.

Reviewed August 20, 2014

I recently had "High Tea" at the Hotel Windsor with my husband, this is the second visit for myself, it is a delightful experience. On being seated a glass of sparkling wine is offered, the table settings are immaculate, full silver service, fine bone china, spotless linens. The three tier presentation of the food is perfect for afternoon tea. Ribbon sandwiches are fresh, soft bread, tempting fillings, the scones are light and delicious, with curd, jam and thick cream, what more could one wish for, then we come to the spectacular dainty pastries each one a delight. There is a wide choice of teas or coffee. The waiters are friendly, helpful and extremely efficient. I look forward to returning once again to this elegant restaurant in a truly "Grand Hotel". Many thanks for a lovely afternoon.

Nigel M, Manager at Afternoon Tea - The Windsor Melbourne, responded to this reviewResponded August 21, 2014

Dear Patricia O
It is superb to hear that your second visit was delightful.
I appreciate all your kind words for food and service.
I wait in anticipation to see you again at the Grand Hotel.

Reviewed August 20, 2014

I have been several times to the Windsor for high tea and have always enjoyed it, but this time I must say the cakes and scones were nothing special. I really feel that $89 for sandwiches and cakes is quite expensive and will be definitely looking at other places to be spending my money. I must say the staff were friendly and surroundings beautiful.

Dear Livia Vidotto
Thank you for visiting us.
Sorry to hear it wasnt special.
We will as always be working hard to make it fabulous for all.

Reviewed August 19, 2014

High Tea at the Windsor on a Sunday should be on everyone`s Bucket List. It`s the utmost in indulgence Everything exceeded our expectations. The food was plentiful and beautifully presented and the service faultless. Couldn`t believe a meal could be so nice. I was treated by my daughter for a special occasion, so I don`t know how much it cost. All I know is that she was also happy with the whole experience.

Dear eaglehawk
Beautiful treat to be taken out on a Sunday to our Afternoon tea.
Delighted you enjoyed it so much.