“One of the Finest High Teas. A must do.”

Afternoon Tea - The Windsor Melbourne
Ranked #1 of 118 Coffee & Tea in Melbourne
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Central Business District
Melbourne, Australia
“One of the Finest High Teas. A must do.”
Reviewed July 8, 2013

My girlfriend and I have close birthdays, this year we decided to celebrate it with High Tea at The Windsor. I had read some mixed reviews just of late and wasn't sure what to expect. I WAS BLOWN AWAY by how gorgeous the place, the food and our wait staff was. Food was to die for. Every bit of it superb. There was so much to choose from. We ate until we could eat no more. We had Champagne and tea which was perfect. Vince was our man and he went way above to make the afternoon special for us. He was amazing, nothing was to much trouble, he made us feel like we were the only table in the whole room. He was kind and friendly to our two girls. He gave them Lemonade in Champagne glasses, which they thought was the best. He spoke directly to them and not us as their parents about what they wanted and liked to eat. He asked if we were there for a special occasion and before we left he had Happy Birthday plates for us and sang Happy Birthday to us. Thank you Thank you Thank you Vience. The Windsor is very lucky to have such a great person working for them, you are an asset to them.

• Visited July 2013
Nigel M, Manager at Afternoon Tea - The Windsor Melbourne, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Dear Lynda
I am delighted that you had such a memorable visit for such a special occasion.
We appreciate your kind words regarding the experience you had.

I have personally thanked Vince for paying special attention to you on your visit.
It is great to see Vince making the extra efforts to attend to the small details which make all the difference.

I look forward to seeing you at The Hotel Windsor in the future.

Warm Regards

• Korean first
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
“the finest afternoon tea in the world ?”
Reviewed June 24, 2013

My wife and I travel a lot and where ever we go we visit hotels cafes etc., to have afternoon tea.
My wife was Japanese (now British) and when she came to The UK she brought her book of 'places to have afternoon tea in' a wonderful book in Japanese by some keen writer who steemed to have spent a lifetime visiting afternoon tea establishments, sampling their wares and taking photos. It was a great help and despite following in some of his footsteps, we didn't gain weight.
We have visited a great many places, but we always remember The hotel Windsor. It is the standard by which we measure all the others.
We think it serves the finest afternoon tea in the world. The question mark is because we have only visited 40 countries between us so there may be somewhere better. But we doubt it.

Dear John
I would like to thank you for your fantastic review of Afternoon tea at The Windsor.
It is great to hear that you rate us so highly.

I will present your kind words to our team they get great satifsfaction from such feedback.

Looking forward to having you join us again at the Windsor in the future.

Yours Sincerely
Bangkok, Thailand
“Overpriced Afternoon tea”
Reviewed June 14, 2013

There is no denying the Windsor has the reputation as one of the places for Afterrnoon Tea but what you get in terms of pure heritage charm, you lose in terms of having a very average afternoon tea that is overpriced.

If I were the Manager of the restaurant I would make the following immediate changes to the Afternoon tea...
1. Individual tea pots on the table, do not rely on the ad hoc waiting staff to appear
2. Tea strainers, where were they? No one wants bits of tea leaves stuck in their teeth when dressed to the nines for tea at the Windsor
3 Introduce some varieties in the types of bread used for the sandwiches and add more fillings.
4. Warm the scones... It was the talk of the train on the way home the cold scones!
5. Reduce the price by $10 for the weekday afternoon tea - way over priced without the weekend indulgence buffet
6. Train the staff to be a little more generous - many times you will be there for a special occasion, offer an extra glass of bubbly to the birthday girl or an extra macaroon...
7. Never bring out flat, tired, left over bubbly from the previous sitting....

1 Thank Little W
Nigel M, Manager at Afternoon Tea - The Windsor Melbourne, responded to this review, June 20, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to give such honest feedback regarding your visit to Afternoon tea at the Hotel Windsor.
We are disappointed that we did not meet your expectations on this visit.
I would like to extend my sincere apologies for this.
The points you have highlighted have all been discussed with the service and kitchen team. The majority of items outlined are already part of our service delivery however we have not met that standard on this occasion.
We pride ourselved on consistently delivering an exceptional afternoon tea experience. These valuable comments will assist us in managing the performance of our team.
Yours Sincerely
Director of Food and Beverage
Perth, Australia
“Afternoon Tea @ The Hotel Windsor”
Reviewed June 11, 2013

Enjoyed a lovely High Tea with my family (6 ladies) last week. As soon as we arrived we were shown to our table which was beautifully arranged. We were promptly served a complimentary glass of Champagne and soon our delicious food arrived. Scones with jam and cream, an assortment of finger size sandwiches and then an enormous erray of petit four sweets. There was certainly plenty to eat and everything was delicious. There is a Tea Menu with a huge selection of hot fresh tea to be had. Everything was just lovely and enjoyed by all, what a great way to spend the afternoon in Melbourne.l

Nigel M, Manager at Afternoon Tea - The Windsor Melbourne, responded to this review, June 19, 2013
Thank you for your kind words following your visit to the hotel for Afternoon tea.
I am delighted you had such a pleasant afternoon.
I will share your experience with our service and kitchen team.
We look forward to seeing you at the Hotel Windsor in the future.
Warm Regards
Director of Food and Beverage
melbourne
“Disappointing”
Reviewed June 11, 2013

We went to the Windsor for High Tea for my nieces birthday on Sunday afternoon, we had booked several weeks in advance and had advised one member of our party was vegetarian. On arrival we were shown to our table and waited a good 20 minutes until anyone came with champagne at which time I mentioned my daughter (aged 6) would like a lemonade, the waitress promised 'pink lemonade in a champagne glass' and off she went....never to be seen again. We asked another staff member to follow it up and he returned with plain lemonade in a normal glass - not that big a deal but miss 6 was disappointed. We waited quite some time for our food to arrive and had to call someone over to ask for it...at which time we reminded them there was a vegetarian at the table....confused looks followed and we were asked if it was mentioned at the time of booking, we advised it was (and was reconfirmed by telephone that week) and off she went...we were then informed our food would take a bit longer as the chef had to prepare a vegetarian plate. All up we waited around 40 minutes for our food (it was a 3.30 seating and we hadn't eaten lunch in anticipation so we were starving). I asked the waitress to take a photo for us and she replied 'can I come back and do it?' as she hurried off to serve someone else (never did get that group shot)......
Finally the food arrived and it was average. Certainly not something to write home about and seriously lacking in the savoury department (ribbon sandwiches...thats it...we do high tea regularly for birthdays and at other establishments we've been served quiches and savoury pastries which I thought was fairly standard for the price). The sweet stuff was just too overpowering and really all ended up just tasting like sugar done up in different ways!!
All in all a really disappointing experience in terms of food and service, go to the Sofitel instead.

1 Thank tajyd