“A night out in Melbourne CBD with views”
Review of Trocadero - CLOSED

Trocadero
Cuisines: European
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Melbourne, Australia
“A night out in Melbourne CBD with views”
Reviewed March 11, 2013

This restaurant has amazing city views. Situated right opposite Flinders Street station across the Yarra. We were a table of 5 and were taking our staff out for our end of year celebrations. The food was faultless, absolutely delicious and unexpected. The menu can seem a little confusing but got with it as we ordered many different dishes and everyone was blown away. The were two important elements to the evening that did not go so well. First the waiter we had was absolutely useless. We found him very hard to hear and when you could hear him instead of making a the menu clearer he made it even more confusing. We were starving and there was oil and butter on our table but no bread. I asked the waiter possible 7 times for the bread over the course of waiting over an hour. Got the attention of what looked like the head waitress and thankfully she responded immediately. The outdoor area definitely does not match the food. They have put synthetic grass outside along with a kids table tennis setup - like what the?? The lighting outside was interrupting the beautiful city skyline and as the night got darker those hideous lights got brighter - like get it right people? The food was well worth trying but the rest of the restaurant needs help!

• Visited January 2013

Melbourne, Australia
“Fine dining without all the fuss”
Reviewed March 5, 2013

I've been to this newish place twice since it opened last year, and both proved to be a satisfying experience. The first time was more like a quick snack before a show at Hamer Hall, so I only had the triple cooked potatoes with truffle mayonnaise and pecorino. But even so, I enjoyed it a lot and it made me curious to go back.

So the second time I had a proper, 3-course dinner with a friend. We shared the heirloom tomato salad with buffalo mozzarella, which was really refreshing during one of those long summer days in Melbourne. For the main, I tried the onion risotto (sweet and tender, with a nice contrast of scattered pepitas) and my friend the garfish pie (apparently it's one of the favorites here and keeps featuring on the specials).

Desserts are a must-try here. The tiramisu has an unusual presentation, with the surprising twist of blackcurrant jelly (nice, but I think the jelly should have been less acid). And the caramel cooked cream with pear and popcorn crumble, already mentioned by several reviewers, really lived up to its reputation. This smart dessert made me smile at the first spoonful.

Service was friendly and punctual - I guess they are trained for this because a lot of people go here before a show or concert next door. But you can just go here to enjoy the food, too. In terms of taste and presentation, it can compete with other fine dining places in Melbourne, with the added flexibility (eat as much or as little as you'd like) and a relaxed atmosphere.

• Visited March 2013
2 Thank SpiceNSpruce
London
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best Dessert in Melbourne.”
Reviewed February 14, 2013 via mobile

Serving one of if not the best dessert in Melbourne.sat on the terrace late evening for a dessert and a cheese plate, excellent service, lovely surroundings. Perfect for pre and post theatre drinks.

1 Thank laurenspyrou
San Francisco, California
“Breaks the rule”
Reviewed January 25, 2013 via mobile

I needed a quick business lunch and to host some special guests. Wine list was excellent the one dish I had was fish beautifully cooked. Accompaniments were also excellent if a bit fussy. The position is stunning. The normal rule of great place equals overpriced bad food does NOT apply here

2 Thank 69Armstrong
“Trocadero fine dining”
Reviewed January 23, 2013

This restaurant is fantastic, absolutely divine food that really showcases Victorian seasonal produce. I am a sweet tooth and I was lucky enough to be out with three people who both share desserts and got to try almost everything on the menu, the salted caramel dessert was as good as all the amazing reviews it has received over the past few months since they opened. The wine list is overwhelmingly comprehensive, but the waiters are extremely knowledgeable and helpful! All in all a fantastic fine dining experience, good value but a little pricey, you pay for what you get, and you get everything you would expect and more with a sensational view of Flinders st station and the yarra and the CBD!

• Visited December 2012