“Good char kway teow!”

Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Singapore, Singapore
“Good char kway teow!”
Reviewed March 20, 2013 via mobile

It was just yesterday that I ate at the Glen Waverly branch and on my daughter's recommendation shared the fried flat noodles aka char kway teow with her. Good wok hei (breath of the wok) and portion was big, with Chinese sausage, fish cake slices and not cockles, but clams. Reminded me of home. Curry chicken was not Nonya styled but still decent.

• Indonesian first
Australia
“Quick Decline”
Reviewed March 3, 2013

This was my favourite Malaysian restaurant in Kingsway & our favourites were Lobak, Char Kway Teow, Mee Goreng & the Fried Fish with Nonya Sauce. So on Monday 18 February 2013, we excitedly brought our friends from Malaysia to sample Malysian hawker food in Glen Waverley. They ordered Mee Goreng, Curry Laksa & Hokkien Mee.

When the food arrived on the table, the presentation & look of the food was poor & unappetising & certainly did not look like what we were used to. Portion sizes had also shrunk. Upon eating, the flavour was disgusting & definitely non- Malaysian. We were so embarrassed & have vowed never to return.

We don't know if the chef was fostered off or walked away to Papparich a few doors away. Whatever the reason for the appalling food, franchising is about consistency in quality & quantity. I can see Straits of Malacca dying & closing its door very soon.

Just beware & save your dollars by buying ready made mixtures from the Asian groceries - you would at least be guaranteed quality from A1, Tean's packet mixes than going to this restaurant!

• Visited February 2013
“Service improved”
Reviewed February 8, 2013 via mobile

I live locally and whilst I loved the food the service was hit and miss, however the new management has improved things dramatically. She informed me was also being sent to box hill, no doubt to trouble shoot any problems. Just hope the service doesn't drop down again

“Quality has gone down since it opened”
Reviewed February 3, 2013

We have frequenty Straits since it's opened last year, however, there's been a noticeable drop in the quality of the food & service in the last couple of months (Since December).

The signature dish was definitely the Char Kway Teow, however, that too has become quite bland and uninteresting.

Service has dropped considerably. We visit for lunch at least once a week, and tea used to be served within a minute or two of being seated. My last visit, we had to flag several waiters just to get our order taken (weekday lunch), and then again try and find someone to get us the tea.

The final straw was when we ordered 3 char kuey teows (there were 6 of us) and 2 of the Char Kway Teow's came together, as did the other 2 orders (different dishes) and the final kway teow took a further 25 minutes! No explanation or apology was given, and my colleague was no impressed as the overall lunch took about 1 hour 20 mins, due to the delay.

I really hope they lift their game, as it WAS one of the better Malaysian places in Glen Waverley.

• Visited January 2013
Melbourne, Australia
“Not-so-good Malaysian hawker food”
Reviewed January 10, 2013

Lunch today was my first experience at this restaurant. The decor and atmosphere weres inviting and resembled modern KL. There was quick order taking and drink service. We (3) ordered Fried Quay Teow, Curry Laksa and Singapore Fried Noodles. The first two dishes were served with minimal wait considering the number of diners. After we ate these we hastened the waiter on many occasions for the final dish, and after about 15-20 minutes, and repeately being told that "its comming" we decided to cancell. We noticed the two tables surrounding us were also waiting for one dish (different to our order) - so one hungry person at these three tables and not sure if this is the norm - perhaps many others were waiting too!
The prices were very reasonable but the quality of the two dishes were sub-standard to what you would get in Malaysia.

Our experience today was disappointing in terms of quality of the dishes and the overall service, therefore I can not recommend Straights of Malacca, Glen Waverly - I am sure you would find better nearby.

• Visited January 2013