“friendly pib with a good restauarant”
Review of Metropolitan hotel

Metropolitan hotel
Ranked #2,752 of 4,065 Restaurants in Melbourne
Cuisines: French, Australian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Accra, Ghana
“friendly pib with a good restauarant”
Reviewed July 7, 2013

We had a late lunch here before a Saturday evening game at the Etihad. The bar is very friendly and the restaurant very well appointed. I had what was effectively fish and chips for my main course and this was fine, but I was disappointed with the fruit crumble for dessert, although this didn't spoil a good lunch with friends.

The manager was very attentive and keen to please.

• Visited June 2013

Melbourne, Australia
“not really impressed by the food”
Reviewed September 16, 2012

You could tell they were trying! It sounded great on the menu - for example, an entree of salmon gravlax, with a citrus salad - there were a few slices of salmon with tiny cubes of orange and grapefruit dotted around the outskirts of the salmon. The venison cheeks my partner had were quite tasty. Being a salmon lover I also ordered a main of salmon, which was fine, except slightly more cooked than I like it, and served on a wooden chopping board with no lip on the edge of it, so that when it was placed down in front of me the juices ran straight - you guessed it - down onto my lap and over the table.... Urrgh. Jim had duck, which I tasted and thought to be chewy. Am I sounding picky? I think if you're paying a lot of money things should be pretty good, especially if they want return customers (we won't be), We shared a cheese platter for desert - we hadn't intended to eat desert but the serves hadn't been generous by any stretch of the imagination. We had got a special deal through travelzoo so we didn't pay full price - $55 for 2 courses, but by the time we added desert, 2 glasses of wine plus a port, and a pot of tea, it was another $51 on top of that. I would not have been a happy camper paying full price for this place - as it was, it was no where near good enough for us to return anyway.
Staff were very attentive and polite - they even said it was their pleasure as they tipped the juices off onto my lap (I'm sure they would have been mortified if they'd known). I didn't say anything as it wasn't a lot and it'll wash out! It gave us a laugh.
Pleasant setting, fire going in fireplace, plenty of room.

• Visited September 2012
Trafalgar South, Australia
“Only slightly pretentious”
Reviewed July 7, 2012

This old style pub with comfortable original decor, and a quaint public bar, has a magnificent old style dining hall with an open fire place, high ceilings and comfortable seating.

We were there for a large birthday party, so the menu was fixed, and the staff a little rushed. However, any little mistakes or oversights were quickly and cheerfully remedied.

The entree was a mixed plate of olives, deep fried prawn rolls served with a quite delicious chilli ginger sauce (clearly made on the premises) and roasted, delicately marinated, beef spare ribs. There was just enough for everyone to have a small taste of everything.

A slightly more generous amount with the entree would have been appropriate.

Mains were a fixed choice between beef, chicken, fish and vegetarian.

The serves we're modest but not stingy, and the food was well cooked, but not excellent. The main courses lacked cooked vegetables and all came with chips and a mixed rocket salad which was uninspiring.

Dessert was pot luck of cheese platter served with a scraping of quince paste, an olive sized ball of fig confit and just enough lavish bread to cope with the two slices of cheese - a reasonable blue and a well matured PortSalut. The other choice was vanilla icecream with some pretentious description and a layered slice of chocolate, peanut butter and biscuit, misdescribed as a terrine.

We paid $50 per head, and found this to be moderately good value.

“food was great”
Reviewed March 22, 2011

have been here on one previous occasion about a year ago, the food and service the first time was great and was curious if that was still the case.
We had a group of 5 we all had entre, main and cheese board for dessert.
Must say food was great, fresh, well presented and plentiful. Each course was excellent and we all had a variety of dishes and all impressed. Wait staff great, they were informative about the food and wines available. Food prices reasonable, although being big wine drinkers did find the wines a little pricey.
will go back and would recommend this restaurant

• Visited March 2011
Melbourne, Australia
“Great, but can be better on the small things.”
Reviewed July 29, 2010

Great food and a really nice old-world atmosphere, warm and comfortable and a top quality cuisine. However was let down with a direct view into the kitchen, this is usually okay however becomes annoying when the chefs are singing and bantering each other. The noise was distracting especially when one hangs out and shouts through the pass to a waiter about someone doing something on the weekend. It echoes through the room.

The service could have been quicker, I had my menu for a Good 20 minutes without even an offer for drinks.

1 Thank polymath2002