“Will be back”

Ranked #15 of 158 Hotels in Melbourne
Melbourne, Australia
“Will be back”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 22, 2013

We had a great stay for a single night in Melbourne. Great Location for restaurants and theaters. Rooms are well presented and clean. The staff friendly and helpful. We asked nicely and received in full.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Kelly O, General Manager at Ovolo Laneways, responded to this review, December 25, 2013
Dear Wickedweasel,

Seasons Greetings to you!

Thank you for such a fab review on the hotel. It is great to hear that you liked our rooms, location and staff. I look forward to welcoming you back in the New Year and further exceeding your expectations.

Have a wonderful 2014!

Ovolo Hotel Melbourne

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (224)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 21, 2013 via mobile

Ovolo hotel advertises itself as a luxury boutique hotel and it was with great anticipation that we checked into the hotel over the pre-Christmas weekend.
The hotel certainly impressed in terms of "hard ware": beautiful layout of the room, ingenious space efficiency, complimentary beverages and pastries, a welcome goodie bag, it was the perfect welcome.
It was however sorely lacking in soft ware: beverages that were consumed were not replaced and a request down to reception for replacement was answered by a surly unsmiling counter staff who handed them over without a word even after my husband had thanked him for it. This encounter albeit lasting barely a minute, left a very unpleasant impression on us.
If either the hotel or staff are unhappy about replacing the beverages, perhaps complimentary drinks should not be offered in the first place.
When I realized that the hand soap had not been replaced, I pressed the housekeeping button ( there is one near the main door) only to have it completely ignored, which again makes us wonder why the button was installed in the first place.
A face to face request for soap made at the counter was met with the very same surly, unsmiling staff who had taken up the drinks for us earlier in the evening.. why this bespectacled gentleman is in the hospitality line is any one's guess, he certainly loathed attending to hotel guests as we were once again presented with his poor appalling attitude.
If Ovolo wishes to maintain its 5 star LUXURY status, it will be in their best interest to drastically improve its service quality.

Stayed December 2013
1 Thank Hsueps
Dear Hsueps,

Seasons Greetings to you!

Thank you for your review and feedback on your recent stay at the hotel. I am glad to hear that the hotel initially impressed you and that you enjoyed the rooms and freebies on offer.
I am however sorry that you felt the property lacked in replacement of stock and also customer service.

Regarding the mini-bar beverages, these should be restocked daily when housekeeping cleans your room. If this did not take place I sincerely apologise and can only put it down to an oversight during the cleaning of your room. I will however speak to my housekeeping team about this and ensure it does not occur again.

I am also a little saddened to hear that one of my team members was not his smiling and accommodating self during your stay. Our staff usually get great feedback for their service so I am concerned you felt it was lacking during your stay and can only apologise on behalf of the team. I do thank you though for mentioning this as I can now chat with the team to ensure they are more accommodating to our guests.

Hsueps, I hope you can return to the hotel in New Year as we would like to restore your faith in Ovolo as a brand.

All the best for 2014!

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 17, 2013

We had a lovely stay here, room was just gorgeous, couch very comfy, staff were fantastic, very central and easy walk to lots of attractions. The extras made all the difference: apple TV, wifi, breaky, happy hour, mini bar.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JC233
Dear JC233,

Seasons Greetings from Ovolo Hotel Melbourne!

Thanks for the fab review on the property. So glad to hear you loved the rooms, the freebies, the service and the location of the hotel.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Ovolo soon!

All the best for 2014!

Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 15, 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights with our 5 month old baby. Service was good, we had a cot provided in our studio suite. Lots of freebies including minibar, movies and pastries for breakfast. Love the fact that they provided bowls, plates and cutlery in the room as well. However, the bathroom sink was just WAY too small for anything, water splashes everywhere whenever we used it. The lobby could have been bigger, it was as narrow as a corridor from the hotel entrance to the lifts.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Dear welovetravels21,

Season Greetings to you and your family!

Many thanks for your recent review on Ovolo Hotel Melbourne.

I am glad to hear you liked the Ovolo touches and in room freebies whilst staying at the hotel. And I will be sure to let the team know their service has be great.

Regarding the basin in the Studio and Studio Suites I do understand that they are quite small, unfortunately we did not have a lot of room for anything bigger in these rooms. It is a design feature that we are aware of and we are looking into new design options in the New Year for these rooms.

Hopefully we can have you and your family stay again in 2014. By this time we may have some new in-room features.

All the best to you and your family in the New Year!

San Francisco, CA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 7, 2013 via mobile

If IKEA ran a hotel, it would be the Ovolo.

I booked a 1br suite and was excited for my stay based on the hotel's website. But then I arrived at the actual hotel ...

I arrived to a small, narrow lobby with luggage piled up all around and a big group of people seemingly living in the lobby with their luggage open changing their clothes. Did I accidentally book a hostel?

I was given a key to room 110 and upon entering was surprised at how dark the room was. Then I realized it had no windows. Only glass blocks where the windows should be. They seriously sell a room for these prices with no windows?

I went downstairs where I was politely (but condescendingly) told that I should have noted my desire for windows when I booked my room SERIOUSLY?!? Should I have requested a toilet too?) and that they were fully booked, but that the disabled accessibility room was available ("that room comes with windows.").

Then, the keys they gave me didn't work. And the replacement keys didn't work either. The front desk clerk came up with us the third time and also couldn't get they keys to work. Along the way, we encountered other guests whose keys were not working. (Maybe management should see a pattern here?)

The furnishings are cheap and uncomfortable. The rooms are small and cramped. Even a 1br suite was very small; you have to shimmy between the wall and the bed to get out. As for the "free minibar" and "free happy hour," you get what you pay for. Cheap swill.

I've stated at many small boutique hotels that execute flawlessly. This us not one. This hotel is a cheap masquerade of a hip boutique hotel. Don't waste your money, and don't be fooled by their self-proclaimed "hipness." There are much better alternatives.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Be_devine
Dear Be_devine,

Seasons Greetings to you!

Thank you for your review and feedback on your recent stay with Ovolo Hotel Melbourne.

I am disappointed to hear that you didn't enjoy your time at the property and felt the design was not executed to a flawless fashion. Our property is quite small and so it was designed by Hassel to take the Melbourne street feel from outside, and in to the hotel. Hence the narrow lobby and darkened public spaces. As for the windows, I am sorry that this was not explained on check in. A few of our rooms do have glass bricks but are mostly allocated for guests requiring a quieter room. I can only presume you were allocated this room due to availability during your stay and for that I am sorry.

Our lift keys have also recently been upgraded as we realise the magnetic stripping on the keys was posing an issue for some guests.

Be_devine, I do hope that at some point you can return to the hotel if in Melbourne again and give us a second chance to really restore your faith in the Ovolo brand.

All the best in the New Year!
Melbourne
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 6, 2013

We stayed at the Ovolo in October for one night when we had a business-related function to attend. The location was perfect as we were able to access a late night bar and meal nearby afterwards and then walk a short distance back to the hotel. We love this part of the Melbourne CBD. We enjoyed the minibar and also the 'grab and go breakfast' as we both headed out of town to work in the morning. We found our one bedroom suite very comfortable and quiet - we slept well. The staff were helpful and parking convenient. We would stay here again.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Dear R_J_11,

Seasons Greetings!

Thanks for such a great review on Ovolo Hotel Melbourne. If you are in Melbourne on business quite often please drop our Sales Manager, Amy Collins a line and she can set you up with a corporate rate agreement for the New Year.

We would love to see you return to the property in 2014!

All the best in the New Year!
Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the Ovolo for a week, checking out on the 27th November. The room was great, spacious, clean and tidy, with the freebies very useful.
Talking of freebies, the stocking up of the mini bar/fridge every day was great, whilst it was mostly the soft drinks we used, when you add up the cost, it saved us quite a few dollars.
The free coffee available whenever you wanted it, along with the free grab and go breakfast came in very useful aswell.
The staff couldn't do enough for you. They were all very welcoming, polite, and if you needed something, it was done straight away.
I thoroughly recommend this hotel, and if the others in the chain are this good, I would use them again tomorrow. Thankyou for helping make our Melbourne stay so enjoyable.

• Stayed November 2013
1 Thank samred72
Dear samred72,

Seasons Greetings!

Thank you for such a wonderful review on Ovolo Hotel Melbourne. I am glad to hear you enjoyed your time at the hotel and loved the freebies! We enjoy giving back.

Looking forward to having you stay again if you're back in Melbourne anytime soon!

All the best in 2014!