“Fantastically helpful staff”

Ranked #15 of 159 Hotels in Melbourne
Northcote, Victoria, Australia
“Fantastically helpful staff”
Reviewed May 28, 2013

I stayed two nights as part of a conference I organise, with another 11 rooms booked at the same time for our speakers. I cannot praise this hotel and staff highly enough. Nothing was too much trouble for them, I left gift bags and thank you cards with reception for all our guests who I couldn't meet personally, and the staff ensured they were all delivered safely.

Everyone was raving about the quality of the free wi-fi, and the included mini bar, and I have to say the grab-and-go breakfast was a bit of a life saver as I had a couple of very early starts while I was there! The room (1 bed suite) was clean and comfortable, and though I could have used more bathroom bench space, the toilet lid was perfectly flat and became a useful space of its own!

Lastly, I really enjoyed the bonus of an Apple TV in my room, blasting my music from my phone to the TV via Airplay while I got ready to go out was a real treat. I'd recommend this hotel to everyone who wants some special touches and great location and isn't fussed about the lack of a view (in the CBD it's a rarity anyway!).

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank Lauren W
Josh N, General Manager at Ovolo Laneways, responded to this review, June 13, 2013
Dear Lauren W,

Greetings from Ovolo Melbourne,

Thank you for taking the time to share your Ovolo experience on Trip Advisor. I am delighted you and your delegates enjoyed their stay and will pass your feedback on to the entire team.

Ovolo Hotel Melbourne

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (229)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed May 28, 2013

Loved it! Staff were friendly from the moment we arrived. Room was spacious and I couldn't have got it any cleaner myself! Perfect location as well. We've recommended it to friends and we are planning on booking for our wedding night! Thanks for an awesome stay :)

• Stayed May 2013
2 Thank ReneeD83
Dear ReneeD83,

Greetings from Ovolo Melbourne,

Thank you for sharing your short yet glowing review on Trip Advisor. Congratulations on your upcoming nuptials and we will see you on the big day!

Reviewed May 28, 2013

We stayed at Ovolo last weekend and would recommend it to everyone. We stayed in a 2 bed appartment with 4 adults and had plenty of room. The room was clean and tidy but not spotless which didn't bother us. The amount of extras you get during your stay is unbelievable, free loot bag, free mini bar topped up daily (4 beer, 4 glasses of sav blanc, soft drink and water), free nespresso coffee, free breakfast and free happy hour every arvo (awesome). The staff were very friendly and went out of their way to help. We will stay at Ovolo again

• Stayed May 2013
2 Thank 19thsupporter
Dear 19thsupporter,

Thank you for sharing your Ovolo experience on Trip Advisor. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and will pass on your compliments to the team.

Please do not hesitate to contact me directly if I may assist you with any future reservations.

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed May 26, 2013

The Ovolo is located at the top of Little Bourke Street in Melbourne, very near nice parks such as the Treasury and Fitzroy Gardens and close to exhuberant China Town. The famous Bourke Mall is also close by. Public transport is good and will whisk you anywhere quickly and efficiently.
The Entrance and Lobby of the hotel are in artistiic glass and black... Intriguing if a bit difficult for the eyes. Everything is roomy enough though.
Reception is quick and efficient and very friendly.
My room was on the small side but it had all the electronic gear - which I generally don't use - that modern travelers like. Moreover, the minibar is free; it's stocked daily with glasses of wine, lots of juices, water, and also beer. There's a good welcome bag with potatochips and other sundries. Bathroom rather small and I kept hitting my head on a kind of ledge when I brushed my teeth. Good water pressure. Bed rather too soft form my comfort, though. Downside was that my room had no see-through window, merely a strip of opaque glass (see photo); and you couldn't open it. Internet - unusually free in Australia - worked but seemed rather slow.
Housekeeping was mediocre; if you don't want your sheets changed it's usually asked, but here they just weren't. Vacuuming was badly done.
Breakfast of the continental sort is free in the lobby and you can also take it to your room.
Service by the front desk was really excellent, and 'they' were very helpful, too, with all kinds of tips.

Room Tip: My room at the back was pleasantly quiet, but it had no see-through window.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Stoic1948
Dear StoaGroningen

Greetings from Ovolo Melbourne,

Thank you for sharing your feedback on Trip Advisor. I am glad to see you found our location favourable and enjoyed our all-inclusive approach.

Whilst a small selection of our rooms do have glass bricks in lieu of windows our front desk team would be delighted to assign you a room with large panoramic windows upon request.

I have liaised with our housekeeping department in order to address the shortcomings you experienced while in residence and I am confident this should now remain an isolated incident.

Please feel free to contact me directly should you wish to stay with us again in the future.

Surfers Paradise, Australia
Reviewed May 26, 2013

Lovely new hotel in a quiet area of the CBD. The two bedroom two bathroom apartment was perfect for two couples to share, and we all loved the pinball machine in the lounge!

Can't fault the free mini bar, happy hour drinks and breakfast... although we all overheard the gentleman on reception call guests enjoying the muffins 'seagulls'.

Would stay again if the same apartment was available.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank MKKCDF
Dear MKKCDF,

Greetings from Ovolo Melbourne,

Thank you for taking the time to share your Ovolo experience on Trip Advisor. I am delighted you enjoyed our Penthouse Suite and could not fault our all-inclusive approach.
I would like to extend my sincerest apologies for any comments you may have overheard from our front desk team and I am confident this was an isolated occurrence. The staff at Ovolo Melbourne pride themselves on their customer service without exception.

I hope we will have the chance to welcome you back in the near future.

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed May 25, 2013

what a breath of fresh air, a hotel which has unique character, great customer service and a great location. We spent 3 nights in a 1 bedroom room and can not complain about anything. Congratulations to the staff.

Room Tip: any room would be good
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank SP_JP
Dear SP_JP,

Greetings from Ovolo Melbourne,

Thank you taking the time to share feedback regarding your recent stay. I am delighted you found our hotel a “breath of fresh air” and will pass on your compliments to our front desk team.

Next time you wish to book do not hesitate to contact me directly so I may personally assist you.

Brisbane
Reviewed May 23, 2013 via mobile

Well I can only agree with all the other rave reviews of this unique hotel. We spent 3 nights in a 2 bedroom room. Great location, comfy beds & pillows, a TV in both bedrooms & the lounge area, all with foxtel and a big range of chanels. Free mini bar which is restocked daily & delicious pastries & muffins served in the foyer each morning. Staff are friendly & very helpful. Would definitely recommend this hotel & will stay there again

Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank brisbanegirl51
Dear brisbanegirl51,

Thank you for sharing your feedback on Trip Advisor. I am delighted you enjoyed your time in residence and hope to welcome you back to Ovolo Melbourne in the near future.