We stayed here for my 30th birthday after getting a $169 a night deal from Wotif.com.
-It's in a great location - you can easily walk up to Fitzroy or into town. Takes about 20 mins to walk to Flinders St station.
- the cleaning staff are not stingy with the replacement of shower gel/shampoo miniatures if they've been used (a real bugbear of mine!)
- free mini bar and snacks on arrival
- flexible check in and out times - we arrived at 11am and they let us in, and left at 2pm. Our room was free before and after but I thought that was great service.
- helpful (and seemingly 24 hour) reception staff
- personalised air con in the rooms
- bowls/plates and cutlery in the room so you can buy cereal and milk/takeaways
- windows not double glazed so can get a little bit noisy with the trams nearby and people partying in the street. We were on floor 2 and we still managed to sleep though. Also not sure how cold this would mean it gets in winter.
- grab and go breakfast is pretty bad; the pastries are hard and dry like they've been there forever and the muffins are tasteless. Buy some cereal and milk from the 7/11 round the corner.
- the sink in the bathroom is way too small (about 6 inches out from the wall!) so when you attempt to wash your face or drink water from your hands after brushing your teeth, you manage to get it all down your legs and on the floor. Poor design really as the shower is massive.
It was just about good value at the equiv of £100 a night but I wouldn't pay more, especially with no real breakfast.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- See the world in colour! Inspired by the hidden laneways and street art that Melbourne is known for, this 43-room boutique hotel is your perfect opportunity to embrace the culture and enjoy effortless living in the heart of the city. Within the unsuspecting charcoal facade is a realm of hidden surprises. Be prepared to be taken on an exciting sensory journey from the dramatic and smart concierge-style reception, through dimly-lit corridors accentuated by brightly coloured doors and illuminated custom artwork, before arriving at the calming and restorative guest rooms. Six distinct room types provide an uncluttered and trendy approach to urban living with seamless integration of the Ovolo touch – all the little things that make effortless living a reality for the modern, tech-savvy traveller. Smart space planning, diverse furniture and joinery components allow guests to reconfigure the rooms to suit their unique purposes. Designed to impress, Ovolo Laneways also features three penthouse suites complete with outdoor rooftop terraces and supercharged offerings. Whether you are travelling as a group or hosting an intimate party, this is the ultimate “rich friend’s house” for your crowd to celebrate or relax against the backdrop of Melbourne city skyline. Situated at the top pocket of Little Bourke Street surrounded by theatres, restaurants and bars, the hotel is literally footsteps away from all that Melbourne has to offer. But really, who needs to go anywhere when your room rate already includes everything? Grab N’ Go breakfast*, Wi-Fi, mini bar, self-service laundry, happy hour*, gym access? – Yep, all free. *only when you book direct on Ovolo Hotels website ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Orbitz, HotelTravel.com, Hotels.com, Cheap Tickets, Priceline, Agoda, Travelocity and Odigeo so you can book your Ovolo Laneways reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.