“Perfect location and room”
Review of Ovolo Laneways

Ovolo Laneways
Ranked #14 of 160 Hotels in Melbourne
Melbourne
“Perfect location and room”
Reviewed March 11, 2013

My son and daughter in law were booked in here for a week in February, and just loved the facilities, the cool features, and the space and layout of thier room. The complimentary mini bar is a great idea, along with the coffee and bubble gum dispenser in the lobby. I found it easy to get my car outside to pick them up and drop them off, and the location close by so many restaurants, the station and trams is ideal. Apparently it was a bit noisy on the last night.
The staff could not have been more welcoming or helpful.
I'll be recommending it to more vsistors to Melbourne.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LilibetMelbourne
Josh N, General Manager at Ovolo Laneways, responded to this review, March 24, 2013
Dear LilibetMelbourne,

Greetings from Ovolo Melbourne,

Thank you for taking the time to post your “Perfect” review on behalf of your son and daughter in law. It is delightful to see our service, location and rooms have managed to prompt a review from yourself.

I do hope we will have the chance to welcome you to Ovolo Melbourne in the future so you may experience our service first hand.

Ovolo Hotel Melbourne

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (233)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Frenchs Forest, Australia
Reviewed March 10, 2013

We stayed in this new hotel for 3 nights. Look it isn't that bad, but it's not that great either. To start with the entrance is a bit funky with a coffee machine, drins and things to eat. But it is so narrow the people using these facilities tend to block the way in. It was exceptionally hot so reception really heated up during the day with the door opening and closing. I know these were exceptional circumstances but none the less not great.

To the room - again it was funky with different coloured doors for each room. It was fairly minimalistic and basic. The kitchen had a microwave and the basic mini bar was free. The bathroom had no where to put you stuff and we all seem to be carrying more product with us so my wife and I had to leave our bathroom bags in the kitchen. There was alos no shaving mirror in the bathroom and poor light to shave by. The rest of the bathroom was very functional.

Bedroom - no shelves to put anything on except for your bags. Bed was comfortable but it was one of those that are singles joined together so hard in the centre.

Lift - one lift was out and the other needs a service as it clunked all the time.

Staff - great and very accommodating. Were keen to help as much as possible and engaging when appropriate. They had a problem with other rooms with air conditioning breaking down with the exceptional weather and had to move people around at 5 in the morning.

Parking - was available a short walk away so this worked out well.

So overall it was OK but not great as we were expecting a better experience. I'm sure if we paid for a better room that things may have improved but based upon many other hotels I have stayed at it was disappointing for the price, and I probably wouldn't stay there again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank spj709Sydney
Josh N, General Manager at Ovolo Laneways, responded to this review, March 16, 2013
Dear spj709Sydney,

Greetings from Ovolo Melbourne,

Thank you for taking the time to share your candid feedback, albeit less than perfect. I can gather from your room description you may have been staying in a 1 Bedroom Suite, of which we have many different layouts offering different desk sizes or bedroom storage space. I am also delighted to report that after light routine maintenance both elevators are in service, functioning as intended.

On a lighter note I was pleased to see you found our staff accommodating and engaging.

I understand from your review you may choose to stay elsewhere when next in Melbourne. Should you change your mind however please contact me directly so I may personally see to your accommodation requirements.

NSW
Reviewed March 9, 2013

Really top location for a girl's weekend. We loved the decor of our 2 bed suite; funky and spacious. Really appreciated the comp. mini bar and all those flat screens. Great being in Chinatown and steps to great restaurants and lots of cool new bars. The huge chalkboard with its welcome message was a quirky item in the room but why no chalk left for guests??? No probs with bathroom sink (funny what people fixate on). Now for the negative, and it pains me to write this but for some people this could be a deal breaker. The insulation in the place re sound is woefully inadequate. We had snoring issues and (blushing) toilet noises were noticed!!! Not cool, people. I even heard a woman in the room next door having an early morning phone conversation; thank god we were a group of girls without partners, if you get my drift. I probably would stay again but not with a group.

Room Tip: Pack ear plugs and chalk.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank OzgirlNsw
Josh N, General Manager at Ovolo Laneways, responded to this review, March 10, 2013
Dear OzgirlNsw,

Greetings from Ovolo Melbourne,

Thank you for taking the time to share feedback regarding your recent experience with us. I was delighted to read that you found the décor of your room funky and appreciated Ovolo’s all-inclusive approach. Our chalkboards are indeed a quirky touch; we do have chalk available for guests, however this is upon request.
On another note it was disappointing to see that you found the sound proofing of your room inadequate, I can appreciate that when using facilities anywhere in the world privacy is a requisite. It is with this in mind that for larger groups we recommend our Terrace Suites, with private en-suite bathrooms and bedrooms separated by a large living space any disconcerting sounds should be alleviated.

Next time you wish to stay I would be delighted to personally assist you with your accommodation requirements.

Reviewed March 6, 2013

Location location location and more
Courteous and helpful staff
Comfortable beds , big clean bathrooms
Wouldn't change a thing about it, stones throw from british consulate , shopping areas, tram stops , Chinatown , walking distance from fed square , brilliant eateries nearby

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Mustangviper
Dear Mustangviper,

Salutations from the team at Ovolo Melbourne,

Thank you for sharing your brief but "splendid" review. It was a pleasure to read that you would not change a thing about your time with us.

Please contact me directly next time you wish to book, it would be my pleasure to personally assist you.

Kind Regards

Norton Shores, Michigan
Reviewed March 3, 2013

it looks and feels new and fresh, with an appreciated modern and contemporary design and function. on the edge of chinatown and greektown areas (so not noisy from street busyness) but very close to eat at any one of great restaurants or cafes or bakeries, on east side of town. easy to explore nearby Fitzroy and Treasure Gardens. Close to the best gelato on Spring street @ the Grocer and to amazing breakfast at The European on Spring. We had penthouse, 2 bedrooms, and terrace with views of city scape; loved it. free drinks in fridge every day refilled. snacks on arrival. delightful pastries every am in the lobby with juice, water, coffee any time of day. umbrellas for use in rain. loved all the i-capable devices, free wifi, apple tv as well, that was a first for us. we had 2 older adult kids with us, and this place worked great for us. staff helpful and friendly, they greeted us as we went in/out every time.

Room Tip: choose the Penthouse if you can. plenty of lounging room, and the bathrooms were gorgeous, roomy als...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Gerald H
Dear Gerald H,

Greetings from Ovolo Melbourne,

Thank you for sharing your candid feedback in relation to your recent stay with us. I am delighted you found the hotel “fresh and contemporary” and our location favourable. Ovolo Melbourne’s technologically advanced rooms are definitely refreshing and work seamlessly with our free unlimited Wi-Fi. With the unseasonably hot weather we have been experiencing I am glad you found the gelato store around the corner to offer some relief.

Gerald H next time you and your family are in Melbourne should you wish to stay with us again I would be delighted to personally assist you with your accommodation requirements.

Canberra, Australia
Reviewed March 1, 2013

I stayed in a 1 bedroom apartment, which was on the small side, but fine for my business trip. I worked late into each night of my stay, and the wifi was free and reliable. I also appreciated the free mini-bar and goodie bag. The staff were really helpful in recommending some excellent restaurants in the neighborhood. My room was on the 4th floor facing Little Bourke Street, and I wasn't bothered by any street noise (and I am a light sleeper). Whilst I agree with another reviewer that toast is nice at breakfast, I think there is not enough room in the foyer to offer much more than they are currently doing. The pastries and muffins with Nespresso coffee were fine.

The location is excellent for restaurants and wine bars, access to parks and gardens for a bit of exercise, and transport. I'd be happy to stay here again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank TnJnBnK
Dear TnJnBnK,

Greetings from Ovolo Melbourne,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. I am delighted you found our location and inclusions favourable. Our front desk team are proud of their local knowledge and I will certainly share your feedback with them.

I do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future, please contact me directly next time you wish to book so I may personally assist you.

Hong Kong
Reviewed February 27, 2013

Having had a great experience at another Ovolo hotel in Hong Kong I chose to stay here, also influenced by the fact that it was voted as one of the top 4 best new hotels in Australia by "The Australian" Newspaper. And believe me, it was a great choice. The location is just brilliant, between Parliament and China Town and in the midst of a multitude of great bars and restaurants. (Just round the corner is Siglo, Rooftop Bar above the very cool Melbourne Supper Club with stunning views of the beautifully lit Parliament Building, a must try!) It is so central that everything else such as Shopping, Business and major sites are in immediate walking distance.
The rooms are generous in size and have a very contemporary hip vibe to them. This is a boutique hotel so expect something different than the typical standard chain hotel. Music, Design and Vibe all have an edgy cool factor and the super friendly team make it a very personal and intimate experience. And best of all, everything seems to be included in the room rate. The Minibar including Wine, beer, water, softs etc. is free, WiFi is free (unusual in Australia) a complimentary Snack Bag with Crisps, Chocolates, mixed nuts, wine gums and mints is included, free breakfasts Danishes and all day free coffee and drinks in the Lobby. They also provide Apple TV so you can stream your own movies and music to the TV (I have not seen this anywhere else in Australia) and I simply love the super toiletries from Malin & Goetz!
The choice for hip hotels in Melbourne is rather limited so this is a perfect choice and probably a good example of what a trendy hotel should be like. I will be back!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank captainkirk1
Josh N, General Manager at Ovolo Laneways, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
Dear Captainkirk1,

Salutations from Ovolo Melbourne,

Thank you for sharing your feedback and bar recommendations, Siglo never disappoints!
Being the first Ovolo property to open outside of Hong Kong it is wonderful to hear that we have managed to keep the famous Ovolo experience alive.

Ovolo Melbourne’s size means our team are able to interact on a more personal level with our guests creating a more boutique and intimate experience, which has not gone unnoticed. I am delighted that you enjoyed our rooms and bathroom amenities Malin + Goetz are a New York based company and definitely a rare find.

I can see that we have now managed to recruit you as a return guest and would like to extend my personal service to you next time you wish to book.