“Great first experience at the quiet end of town”
Review of Ovolo Laneways

Ovolo Laneways
Ranked #14 of 160 Hotels in Melbourne
Hobart, Australia
“Great first experience at the quiet end of town”
Reviewed February 19, 2013

We stayed here as a family group in February 2013, when it was stinky hot - all the aircon worked extremely well!!
This property is just off Spring St - the very top end of Little Bourke, so you are in the city, and in Chinatown, but miss a lot of the noise and bustle of further down.Easy walk to theatres and fab restaurants on the doorstep.
We stayed in a 2 bed terrace penthouse, and it was spacious with good fit out. Main bed had ensuite, but the other bathroom was on the other side of the kitchen from the second bedroom. Good toiletries and excellent sheets and towels. Slippers but no robes.
Terrace was lovely, with large table and sun lounges . Free minibar (nice but yuk, aren't we over sav blanc yet?), wine cabinet, small microwave, no stovetop or oven and as mentioned in another review, no toaster. i know they offer a selection of sweet pastries as a grab-and-go brekkie, but I still want my Vegemite toast!! Excellent Nespresso machine in reception area. Wireless was OK, and it is very pleasant not to have an additional charge for it.
Friendly staff, helpful, happy to oblige with late check out. Will most probably stay again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank zoshi
Josh N, General Manager at Ovolo Laneways, responded to this review, March 3, 2013
Dear Zoshi,

Greetings from Ovolo Melbourne,

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your recent stay. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed our location and that we provided you with a comfortable refuge from the heat. The Australian tradition of having Vegemite on toast is certainly not lost on me and therefore I will put forward your suggestion of placing toasters in the rooms to the appropriate departments.

Ovolo Melbourne prides itself on customer service and on this occasion it has not gone unnoticed. I would be delighted to personally assist you with your next reservation so do feel free to contact me directly should you wish.

Ovolo Hotel Melbourne

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (233)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
sydney
Reviewed February 18, 2013

I stayed at the Ovolo for 5 nights by myself on a business trip. I picked the hotel for the location, price and the modern feel. When I arrived the staff were friendly. I was given a room on the 3rd floor. Initially when I opened my yellow door (a nice bright touch in an excessively dark corridor) I was a little disappointed. The first thing I noticed was that the room looked straight out at a brick wall, and if I looked out the window below, I saw 4 big garbage bins. Hmmm, 5 nights looking at this. Nevertheless, the room was reasonably pleasant. I got one of the studio suites with a queen size bed and a lounge area; the room was narrow but acceptable. I usually like to get a room with a bath. This accommodation didn’t have one and I missed it greatly. I had read previously on trip advisor that there is nowhere to put a toiletry bag and that’s correct. The bathroom is small. I cut my finger on the unframed mirror in the shower recess (I admit, my fault!). The bed was extremely hard and so was the lounge. I like a softer bed, so I piled the pillows on top of the bed and slept on those. The bed was raised on a platform, so there was a step up to the bed. Not a problem for me but it could be an issue if you are a bit of a drinker perhaps or have mobility issues. The bed platform was made of black material. This did look quite smart but there were some stains on it that could not be removed. You could hear the plumbing from adjacent rooms, so this woke me up in the morning. I liked the grab and go breakfast and the minibar being included in the cost. The free WiFi was unreliable. I couldn't get the Apple TV to work, but I was happy with the TV channels. Would I stay there again? It wasn’t all bad, the location was particularly good, but no I wouldn’t. I asked for a razor one morning and was told it would be waiting for me at reception. Generally when a woman asks for a razor it means she isn't dressed to come to reception. Ok, so this wasn't 5 star and perhaps my exceptions were a little excessive, but it felt more like a fancy hostel than a hotel to me.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank greenrock7
Josh N, General Manager at Ovolo Laneways, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Dear greenrock7,

Greetings from Ovolo Melbourne,

Thank you for taking the time to share your candid feedback regarding your recent stay with us. I was delighted to read you found the reception staff friendly upon arrival and enjoyed Ovolo Melbourne's location. After reading your room description it is concerning that you cut your finger on the frameless mirror and will have housekeeping investigate this as a matter of urgency, in addition I will have our I.T. technician inspect the wireless connection to ensure the issues you encountered remain isolated. Whilst our Studio Suites have raised beds Ovolo Melbourne does feature accessible rooms and suites for those with limited mobility.

On another note it was disappointing to read we did not take the shaving kit requested to your room, whether male or female the ritual of shaving is generally post or pre shower and for this I apologise. Whilst we are not a 5 star property we certainly endeavour to provide 5 star service and on this occasion we fell short.

I understand first impressions are hard to change however should you wish to give us a second chance it would be my pleasure to personally assist you.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed February 17, 2013

We live locally in Melbourne and were having a nice out and wanted to try a different or newish hotel and chose Ovotel for our overnight stay. Location was good with lots of food choices close by and in and around the theatre district. Staff were friendly and helpful, the inclusions that were offered were great including free wifi, in room mini bar free(which included some water, mineral waters, beer which is better than having to pay for these types of items), then there were bar fridges down at reception where you had a choice of free water and juices(anytime) and alcohol (beer/wine) for a couple of hours in the early evening, all a great offering.
We stayed in a 1 bedrom suite which was on the first floor, facing Little Bourke Street and the room was set out really well. You stepped down into the spacious lounge room with tv and comfy couch then the separate bedroom and separate bathroom were very roomy and set out well. So the hotel had a great vibe, but the only thing that brought it down to an average was the noise.
Not sure if it was the location of the room, just being a floor up from the ground and situated over a restaurant/bar or probably because the windows were just not double glazed, so you literally just heard every conversation that walked by or stood by the window. I understand the garbage trucks etc are part and parcel of every city so that was not an issue, it was just being able to hear everyone, it really felt like a window may have been opened, but that was not possible.
Not sure if rooms situated in other parts of the hotel would be different but I believe double glazed windows would have cut out majority of that noise and just left the usually "big city" noises that you get in any large city. So that was really the only disappointment as it meant we really didn't have a relaxing sleep at all, after enjoying a nice dinner and day out. Maybe something for Ovotel to think about for any future hotels or their next refurbishment.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Josh N, General Manager at Ovolo Laneways, responded to this review, March 2, 2013
Dear Vic C,

Salutations from Ovolo Melbourne,

Thank you for taking the time to share your honest feedback regarding your recent stay with us. I am delighted to see that you enjoyed most aspects of your stay and found our staff friendly and helpful. On another note it is distressing to see that you did not receive a relaxing sleep due to the street noise, as you have mentioned we are in the city however I will discuss your suggestion of double glazing with the appropriate departments. Guest comfort is of the utmost importance to us and on this occasion we fell short of providing you both with this.

Please do contact me directly should you wish to stay again as we have rooms on higher floors and in different positions throughout the building which should alleviate any street noise.
I do hope we will have the chance to welcome you back to Ovolo Melbourne in the future.

Brisbane
Reviewed February 14, 2013

Such a fun hotel, so clean and you feel so at home So many extra features. It is truly worth every cent. We needed some tram cards so we called the reception and the guy said he had three that we could borrow! Everything about this hotel is awesome.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Shawna4
Dear Shawna4,

Greetings from Ovolo Melbourne,

It was such a pleasure reading your short yet glowing review. I am delighted to see our front desk team were able to furnish you with Myki cards and you found everything about Ovolo awesome.
On behalf of the entire Ovolo Melbourne team we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed February 13, 2013

I recently stayed one night at the Ovolo. I usually stay at the Lyall but was drawn to the location of Ovolo for this trip, as well as the 'flexible checkout'. The location is great, close to restaurants, bars and cafes. On arrival you walk into reception/bar/breakfast/sitting area, and are greeted by staff at work desks. This was all a bit strange. The area is just too small and the fact that the fridges/ coffee machine and morning pastries is in front of check in is not conducive to a relaxing drink or snack with any personal space. As I mentioned I had booked this hotel on the basis of the advertised flexible check out. (I had an important mtg at 2.30pm and didn't want to be wandering the city for hours before this) but in the end this policy didn't seem to be any different to any other decent hotel's check out policy. I rang and enquired about the check out and was told to ring the day before to confirm. When I arrived I was told to 'ring down in the morning and if nobody had booked the room I could stay longer'. In the end there was no check out beyond 12pm available and no where in the hotel to sit and work ( The Lyall had actually confirmed the late check out when i enquired about the room). The room I had was fine (2 bed). It was a bit dark with view of the side alley and a bit noisy with the garbage bins being emptied but clean with a comfortable bed. Wifi and extras were a nice touch. They could lift this to the next level with good quality goodies (gummy bears, crisps and singha beer didn't really do it for me). Robes in the room would be a good addition. I didn't have breakfast at the hotel but the pastries looked nice. So overall the stay didn't really meet my needs. Would I stay there again? Probably not.

• Stayed February 2013
Dear familyof997,

Greetings from Ovolo Melbourne,

Thank you for taking the time to share your candid feedback regarding your recent stay with us. I am delighted you found Ovolo’s location great and our extras nice. We are indeed a small property with the size of the building limiting the space we have in our lobby and other public areas. Ovolo Melbourne’s flexible check-out is based on availability, as we endeavour to ensure all guest rooms are ready by our check-in time (1400) if we are full in a particular room category it is not always possible to extend a late check-out which seems to have been the case on this occasion. I have taken your feedback regarding bathrobes and in room amenities on board and will certainly discuss this with the appropriate departments.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed February 8, 2013

All the little extras, free wifi, free mini bar, free local calls, free light breakfast, all add up to "I feel valued". Nice, modern decor, spacious rooms and lovely staff meant this was quite possibly the nicest hotel stay I have ever had. It felt so welcoming. I hate the way so many hotels, rip off their captive audience (guest does not seem appropriate somehow) with over inflated prices for amenities. How refreshing that Ovolo have seen fit to make their guests feel welcome & comfortable. Lovely & quiet (no traffic noise), plenty of bars & restaurants handy plus right I theatre district. Handy to tram & train station. This one gets the big tick & I will not go elsewhere on future trips to Melbourne. Well done Ovolo!

• Stayed February 2013
2 Thank Caroline C
Josh N, General Manager at Ovolo Laneways, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Dear Caroline C,

Greetings from Ovolo Melbourne,

Feedback such as yours certainly makes us feel proud of what we do. I am delighted our staff and inclusions made you feel so welcomed.
Caroline please contact me directly next time you wish to stay, it would be my pleasure to personally assist you.

Australia
Reviewed February 8, 2013 via mobile

3 night stay in a studio apartment recently. Excellent service. Clean and very comfortable hotel. Quiet. Spacious. Free wifi. Free stocks from mini bar replenished daily. Delicious pastries available from front desk all day (grab and go) and coffee available at front desk as well as in room. Apple TV. iPod dock. Parking available close by at a cost of $15. No wait for elevator. Staff were very pleasant. Strongly recommend

Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank GingerandTommy
Dear GingerandTommy,

Salutations from Ovolo Melbourne!

Thank you for taking the time to share your "Terrific" feedback regarding your recent stay. I was delighted to see you found our staff pleasant and elevators fast, being a boutique property elevator waits are extremely rare!
Please contact me directly next time you wish to book so I may personally assist you.