“So many freebies for the price of a standard room!”
Review of Ovolo Laneways

Ovolo Laneways
Ranked #14 of 160 Hotels in Melbourne
Sydney, Australia
“So many freebies for the price of a standard room!”
Reviewed January 21, 2013

To be greeted on arrival with the news that we had been automatically upgraded from a Studio to a Studio Suite had me impressed already. To then be told the hotel featured free wifi, free mini-bar, a happy hour with free (take from the fridge) drinks (beer and wine) and free grab n go breakfast I was more than excited about our three night stay in Melbourne for a trip to the Australian Open.

The Studio Suite room was ideal for couples, and although the studio would most likely have been cramped, the suite was spacious and allowed a relaxing couch space. The bathroom itself isn't small, rather no room was left for a basin/vanity so yes, brushing your teeth or doing anything where you would like a basin space to wash would be difficult. And the usual shower featuring half screen makes for a wet bathroom if you aren't careful. Bathroom is the only reason for not giving 5 stars!

The international tourists will love the benefit of free wifi - a rarity in Australian CBD hotels still, and locals and tourists alike, who could disagree with a few beers on a arrival, each night, and stocked up each day. Plus if you are on the go to get to events and activities, the pastries, juice and apple breakfast with coffee machine (free 24/7) means you can get into your day with food in your stomach.

The location is exactly what you need for any CBD events activities and perfect for sporting events in the Melbourne Park/MCG precinct. 1 min walk to tram stop. $8 cab to Southern Cross station or Crown Casino. The staff were a delight and more than accommodating to requests, including a late checkout and as promised, I will be recommending to friends. We will be back!

Room Tip: Studio Suite ideal for couples wanting a bit of space.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (233)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Geelong, Australia
Reviewed January 20, 2013

I stayed one Friday night at the Ovolo in between the tennis at Kooyong, a show at Festival Hall and a show at the Princess Theatre the next day. The Princess Theatre is in the same block as the Ovolo. I walked all the way to Festival Hall on the Friday evening -- a fair hike (about 40 minutes), but I had heaps of energy and actually enjoyed it.

The service I received at reception was excellent, both on check-in and check-out. The reception area is small but well-presented. The property itself has no carpark, but the staff advised me that I could use a carpark in nearby Bourke Street, and receive a discounted rate. You just need to walk up an alley and across Bourke St to get to the carpark.

I had booked a studio, but was thrilled to walk into a room with a lounge/kitchen separate to the spacious bedroom. The room was near-new and spotless with modern decor. It was fairly dark with just a couple of 'frosted' glass windows, but I was grateful for this, as it was a very hot day (high 30s deg C). Even in winter, as long as it is warm, I suspect it would have a cozy feel to it.

I loved the blackboard (although I couldn't find any chalk), complementary mini bar, bag of goodies (e.g., lollies, chips, nuts, mints), fluffy thong slippers and 'grab-and-go' breakfast. I'm sure you pay for these things somehow, but they are a really nice touch. Local calls are free. I made two short calls to country Victoria, and I don't think I was charged for those even though I declared these at check-out :-) The TVs, couch, bed, pillows and shower were excellent. I would stay here again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed January 20, 2013

Before Christmas I spent a lovely Sunday night here celebrating my daughters Birthday. The staff were wonderful. The Extras were a great surprise. Drinks and Nibbles and Excellent Coffee. Breaky was a great idea if you dont mind a grab a danish and drink and go straight out to shop. Late checkout was wonderful - ours was Mid afternoon - when available! so close to Her Majesty's theatre and right at the top of China town. Perfect. Very quiet. We booked a studio suite which is bigger than a studio and more comfortable to watch tv. Free snacks in room and free mini bar with beer wine fruit juice and water. Help yourself Cappuccino machine in foyer. Lovely staff. Bathroom is fine even though the basin is small the shower is fine. Booked through the Entertainment Book which was a good rate too. One of the quieter hotels I have stayed at in the city. No pool. We just wanted to shop and see a show. Did I mention the staff were great :) Thanks

Room Tip: Request a suite. Room is bigger :)
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Chris T
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed January 19, 2013 via mobile

I have no idea how a hotel with the smallest room and bathroom sink could be so captivating! There was something about this little place that I just loved. The front office staff were really friendly, the TV in my room was big and great. The linen was new, the funky door and blackboard was a nice touch also.
The cons would be obviously the size of the room... It was tiny. There wasn't very much cupboard space if you plan to stay long term. The bathroom sink was off the charts tiny... People are not exaggerating about that but it did the job. The biggest issue for my stay was the lack of working air conditioning.. My room stayed at around 28 degrees which was just too warm. Perhaps this wouldn't be a problem in the winter though. All in all a funky little hotel with a different concept and I just loved it!

Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed January 18, 2013

This hotel was quite central to chinatown. The room was quite small and seemed to feel a bit dated. Bed was comfortable and had a good nights sleep. There was a standard window right above the shower, so people from the neighboring towers could look in at night when the light was on. Staff were helpful and nice, but the hotel rooms need a little bit of attention.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Adam M, General Manager at Ovolo Laneways, responded to this review, October 21, 2014
Dear Simao,

Thanks for the for your review. I'am glad you enjoyed the all inclusive drinks and grab and go breakfast. We are looking at adding to the selection of complementary items so next time you stay you will find some nice new additions. Our location makes for a perfect escape in the city and is walking distance to most things in the city.
I can certainly understand why the issues you faced during your stay would make you feel a little uneasy. Our hotel is 100% non smoking and this is something our housekeeping and Front Office teams take seriously. I can ensure you that this is not a common occurrence. In regards to the general cleanliness of the room I can not apologise enough. Our house keeping management has since been improved and our key focus is detailing of rooms.
Next time in Melbourne pop in and say hello and hopefully stay the night!
Gold Coast
Reviewed January 18, 2013 via mobile

Actually found this hotel on Tripadvisor while looking for hotel in Melbourne during tennis. What a delightful surprise! Small boutique and new. Offering quirky point of difference - free minibar (restocked fridge every day with 2 wine, beer, water & soft drink) and free goodie bag on arrival. Fresh fruit at reception plus fresh pastries and coffee in the morning! Rooms are fresh and modern with the most comfortable bed! Blackboard with cute message from staff in room & a beanbag.

Bathroom and basin tiny - hardly bigger than a plane toilet! And rooms not 100% soundproof - noise from outside seemed worse on weekday. We had a studio room which was great size with big windows looking into brick well but they allowed natural light.

Staff are great. Friendly and happy. One of our friends left their wallet on the plane and receptionist, while we were checking in, got right onto Jetstar and the wallet was located.

I really like this hotel. Definite return guests :-)

• Stayed January 2013
Berlin
Reviewed January 17, 2013

Maybe I was hoping for to much... Having read some amazing reviews I was really looking forward to treating my partner and myself. The rooms looked lovely in the photos but in real life are small and basically furnished. The bathrooms don't seem to be designed for functionality and the rooms while clean did have dust and even hairs in the corner. I just wish the small attention to details was provided. Over all over priced for a lacking experience.

• Stayed December 2012
4 Thank James L
Josh N, General Manager at Ovolo Laneways, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Dear James L,
Greetings from Ovolo Melbourne,
It is incredibly distressing to hear you did not enjoy most aspects of your stay. We pride ourselves on our service and it appears on this occasion we have fallen short of your expectations. I have liaised with our housekeeping department regarding the state of your room and whilst I’m sure this was an isolated incident I would very much like to speak with you in more detail so we can ensure this does not happen again.
First impressions are hard to change I know, however we would like the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel and I would be delighted to personally assist you with each aspect of your stay should you wish to do so.

Kind Regards,