“Love Love this hotel”

Ranked #15 of 158 Hotels in Melbourne
Bangkok
“Love Love this hotel”
Reviewed November 5, 2012

A gorgeous new boutique hotel, petit reception, with the friendliest staff ever, NONE of the attitude of the larger hotels... Fantastic location, a hop step and jump from Longrain, or our new fave restaurant Gingerboy... great contemporary rooms, comfy bed, gorgeous shower and lots of free goodies... including the FREE mini bar... which didnt have wine on our visit, but I was promised was being added to the inventory very soon...
We will def. be back for our next 'date' night....

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank DDKRLWalters

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (224)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed November 5, 2012

New homey boutique hotel with character and loads of free perks (grab and go breakfast, mini bar, snacks pack on arrival, local calls, newspapers...) Very central location within walking distance from major landmarks. Friendly staff and clean spacious rooms though bathroom sink is ridiculously small. Excellent value for money. I would not stay anywhere else!

Tips: (1) best breakfast options nearby (right behind Ovolo) at The European and The Mess Hall. (2) Best airport transportation: Skybus (10 min intervals all day at AUD 17), 20 min ride to reach city centre. Skybus can arrange free connection ride to your hotel.

• Stayed October 2012
2 Thank ToniYuen
Josh N, General Manager at Ovolo Laneways, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
Dear ToniYuen,

Greetings from Ovolo Melbourne,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your stay with us. I am delighted you found the hotel “homey” and value for money.
Please contact me directly next time you wish to book so I may personally assist you.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed October 25, 2012

I stayed here for 2 nights and it is a very nice hotel. The staff are all friendly, the room i was in was spacious and super clean. I had an amazing nights sleep and a seriously delicious breakfast. Check out was a breeze and a i had a taxi waiting for me. Great !!!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Harry K
Sinagpore
Reviewed October 24, 2012

The location, service and little details (including lots of freebees - free wifi, free beer in the minibar, free amazing coffe and pastries in the lobby each morning...) have earned this hotel 5 stars. I stayed there last weekend and loved the location (at the edge of the central CBD grid near Chinatown). Being central and within walking distance of the main city sights is key for me. I loved going out the front door and jogging down to the south bank of the Yarra for my morning run and we were also right next to a tram stop for taking an easy trip down to St. Kilda beach. We had a one bedroom suite on the 4th floor - it was new, clean and well designed. The bed was super comfy, the rain shower had good water pressure and the wifi worked really well. I think the best thing though was how well the front desk staff took care of us - they made dinner bookings, answered all of our questions with a smile and were generally really lovely. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank AJoyce01
Josh N, General Manager at Ovolo Laneways, responded to this review, March 6, 2013
Dear AJoyce01,

Salutations from Ovolo Melbourne,

Thank you for taking the time to share your open and honest feedback, I am delighted to see our attention to detail was the driving force behind your 5 star rating.

Next time you wish to book please contact me directly so I may personally assist you.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed October 22, 2012

I stayed at The Ovolo at the weekend as I had walked past it on a recent visit and wanted to try it out. The location is excellent as it's close to transport, great eateries/bars/cafes and yet is quiet enough that you don't feel as though your in the CBD. Rooms are basic but stylish and the service is incredibly personal. The concierge/reception staff were excellent and couldn't do enough to help, securing me a last minute reservation for dinner and not only confirming with a courtesy call but also leaving me a personalised letter with details. My partner was incredibly impressed. The free wi-fi, mini-bar and light breakfast to go were a welcome change and not having extras meant checkout was seamless and fast. Have already told friends about this place, have recommended the larger two bedroom to an interantional exec and will definitely be back here again. Most of all this place had all the attraction of a boutique serviced appartment, with extra service and no attitude. You've got my vote. Thank you!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank Carolina T
Dear Carolina T,

Greetings from Ovolo Melbourne,

Thank you for taking the time to share your candid feedback. It was indeed a pleasure reading your glowing review and I am delighted our staff went above and beyond without displaying any attitude.

Please contact me next time you wish to stay as it would be my pleasure to personally assist you.

Brisbane
Reviewed October 19, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for two nights when taking part in the Melbourne marathon. On our first day I was all set to give this place 5 stars. We were a little early for our check-in but a call to housekeeping confirmed that our room would be ready in 15 minutes so we were invited to wait in the foyer and help ourselves to free coffee from the Nespresso machine.
Our room was small but fresh, modern and clean, with everything we needed for a short stay. I loved the timber-laminate flooring - nothing worse than stained hotel carpets. The chalk-board in the room had the day's weather forecast which was very thoughtful. And what's not to love about free Wifi, free soft drinks from the mini bar and a little welcome pack of snacky goodies. Breakfast comes in the form of a self-serve takeaway Nespresso coffee, shiny crisp apples, bottled water, and a delicious selection of fresh pastries. Who needs more than that? For us, the location was also excellent - an easy 20 minute walk to the MCG, 10 minutes into the city centre and right around the corner from the Palace Theatre. So far so good.
Then I used the basin in the bathroom. It's small - about the size of a basin in an aeroplane toilet. It is also partly covered by a narrow shelf. Washing your hands is fine but brushing your teeth requires extreme accuracy and washing your face is all but impossible. A serious design flaw in my books.
The second disappointment was that we turned on our 'Please service' light at 6am, when we left the room. When we returned at 12pm, exhausted and in need of a shower, it was disappointing to find the room had not been touched. There was no cleaner in sight. So we went for lunch and came back at 3pm. Still nothing. My husband was in desperate need of a nap and was of course interrupted by the cleaner at 4.45pm. Not sure if something went wrong on this day but in my opnion that is much too late to have a room serviced and makes the service light pretty pointless.
And my third tiny gripe was that our room had no windows that could be opened, which meant running the airconditioner all night and waking up with a stuffy head the next day.
Despite the above, I would actually stay here again. The staff were great, the prices are reasonable for inner city Melbourne, and in comparison to many other hotels we have stayed in, this one still comes out tops.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank kalaharikoala
Dear kalaharikoala,

Greetings from Ovolo Melbourne,

I would like to start by congratulating you both on participating in the Melbourne Marathon and I am delighted we were able to create an almost perfect base for you. In regards to the servicing of your room I am disappointed we fell short of our usual standards, rest assured that since your stay our housekeeping department have put in place new procedures to ensure all rooms are serviced in a timely fashion.

Our staff are definitely proud of what they do and it seems that this was projected throughout the course of your stay. On behalf of the entire team we would be delighted to welcome you back to Ovolo Melbourne in the near future!

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed October 17, 2012

WOW!! Stayed in the Ovolo as I had an event at the Palace Theatre (Directly Behind)

As we walked in to check in, our room was not ready yet, but not to worry - Free Wifi, Free Coffee and Free Water had us settled.

When our room was ready we went up the lift and into the funky corridor. When entering the room you feel as if you are walking into a showroom of some sort.

As the event we attended was a nightclub festival we were able to get later check out, free breakfast when we got back.

Simply Amazing!!

Will definitely be back!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank prynny
Dear prynny,

Greetings from Ovolo Melbourne,

WOW!! Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your stay with us. I am delighted to see that after your late night we were able to accommodate a late check-out for you. “Simply Amazing” is certainly a phrase our staff would love to associate themselves with.

If I may be of any personal assistance next time you wish to book please do not hesitate to contact me.