“Great funky rooms”
Review of Ovolo Laneways

Ovolo Laneways
Ranked #14 of 160 Hotels in Melbourne
Reviewed October 8, 2012

Great technology , Apple TV. No thrills breakfast and lots of free goodies in hotel room bar. Great location near china town. Stayed in Studio room, bed was comfortable and felt spacious, loved the rainfall shower. My son enjoyed the gum all machine at reception. would like to try out the Hong Kong properties.
Enjoyed my stay, and will recommend the hotel to friends and family...

Stayed: October 2012
5  Thank James F
Josh N, General Manager at Ovolo Laneways, responded to this reviewResponded March 6, 2013

Dear James F,

Greetings from Ovolo Melbourne,

My apologies for the belated reply and thank you for sharing your feedback. I am delighted that you found our Grab N’ Go breakfast, Loot Bag, rainfall shower and bedding pleasurable.
If I may be of any personal assistance in the future please do not hesitate to contact me.

There are newer reviews for Ovolo Laneways

Reviewed October 7, 2012

This reminded me of Soho Hotel in the the Meat Packing District of NYC. Very trendy, with bright colors (gasp for melbournians this is very new). The great coffee bar downstairs is amazing to help yourself to throughout the night (especially if your working on different time zone deadlines it was a blessing!) Also love the little quirky details like the laundry bags, and the blackboard notes that tell the weather and date...super cool and edgy and the beds are amazing.

This will be a hotel that i will almost always stay in. Such a good change from the big hotels!!!!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
5  Thank davidsevenjones

Dear davidsevenjones,

Greetings from Ovolo Melbourne,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback and my apologies for the belated reply. I am delighted you enjoyed your time with us and found the hotel reminiscent of the Soho Hotel in Manhattan.

Please contact me directly next time you wish to book as it would be my pleasure to personally assist you.

Reviewed October 3, 2012

What a great place for a family stay. Very friendly helpful service . Went out of their way to recommend restaurants and attractions . The design is funky and its all shiny and new. Also free mini bar. Would definitely recommend and stay again.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank Annie M
Josh N, General Manager at Ovolo Laneways, responded to this reviewResponded February 17, 2013

Dear Annie M,

Thank you for sharing your experience at Ovolo Melbourne. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us, particularly our design and complimentary Mini-Bar.
Please contact me when you next book so I may personally assist you.

Reviewed October 1, 2012

Have just checked into a two bedroom suite at the Ovolo - having dinner at Longrain so was attracted to something close by that looked new and interesting. While the lobby looks good - the rooms are basic to say the very least. No dishwasher as advertised - the "kitchenette"'has a very basic setting for four (no cups and saucers) a bottle opener, a bar fridge and a jug - that's it !!!

Profoundly disapponting for the price - will revert to our usual place the Blackman on St Kilda road - nicer rooms, significantly better facilities and considerably cheaper.

• Stayed: October 2012
3  Thank Paulio123
Josh N, General Manager at Ovolo Laneways, responded to this reviewResponded February 10, 2013

Dear Paulio123,

Greetings from Ovolo Melbourne,

Thank you for taking the time to post your candid feedback regarding your stay with us. I am delighted you enjoyed the aesthetics of our lobby and found our close proximity to Longrain favourable. On another note it is distressing to read our rooms fell short of your expectations. We have since reviewed our advertising on all websites to ensure dishwashers are only advertised in our Terrace Suites and Penthouse. I understand first impressions are hard to change, however I would like the opportunity to welcome you back to Ovolo Melbourne in the future. Please contact me directly should you wish to give us a second chance and I will personally assist you throughout each aspect of your stay.

Reviewed October 1, 2012

My partner and I stayed here last weekend and although my stay with was brief, it’s the first impressions that have encouraged me to write this review. We came to Melbourne to see a show at the Princess theatre which was literally next door so it was a perfect location for us. Checking in was quick and easy and the staff we very friendly and welcoming. The young man at the front desk politely informed me that I could help myself to a drink from the fridge or a tea/coffee (all complimentary) which was a really nice added touch. The room was cool and modern, a real sense of Melbourne with the art and furnishings. The bathrooms were really spotless and there was a ‘rain’ shower- which of course was amazing. As well as a free mini bar (that’s right, FREE mini bar) we were also surprised by a little gift bag full of chocolates and random treats in our room. The room had fast wireless internet and foxtel which were free too. The free breakfast (muffins, pastries, fruit) was really nice and simple and a welcomed change from those boring continental breakfasts that you get most other places. I really couldn’t fault this hotel if I tried, they even gave us a complimentary late check out because we had a late flight.
I will definitely be staying again!

Room Tip: Bring your iPod/Macbook and make good use of the Free Apple TV!
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank BrendoW11

Dear BrendoW11,

Greetings from Ovolo Melbourne.

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay and could not fault us. I look forward to welcoming you back to Ovolo when your next in Melbourne.

Reviewed October 1, 2012

We stayed in a two bedroom suite which has plenty of space for our one year old to run around in. Loved the fact that they have kids channels available on tv. Staff were very friendly and always willing to help.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Burnz83
Josh N, General Manager at Ovolo Laneways, responded to this reviewResponded February 12, 2013

Dear Burnz83,

Greetings from Ovolo Melbourne,
I am delighted you found our Two Bedroom Suites spacious and family friendly. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed October 1, 2012

I had booked the Ovolo Hotel at the last minute not really knowing what to expect.... I was surprised and delighted!!

I was greeted by friendly staff, a lobby that was pumping out top 40's music, and tea/coffee on arrival, I thought what have I walked in to, this can't be a hotel!

I was again surprised when I heard about the FREE inclusions, like mini bar, wifi, breakfast, loot bag (bag full of yummy things) and apple tv..my day was just getting better!!

I stayed in a Studio room (yellow door) which was very comfortable, clean & tidy, and it didn't feel cluttered, or cramped. The room felt very bright and open! I loved the blackboard with the little message & recommendation! My favourite part of the room was the big rainfall shower (oh and the freebies) :)

I had to leave quite early to catch a plane, not knowing the area or the best way to get to the airport so the staff organized it all for me by booking a skybus!!

I have already booked my next stay with the Ovolo and I can not wait to stay again!

• Stayed: September 2012
3  Thank Iheartaustralia
Josh N, General Manager at Ovolo Laneways, responded to this reviewResponded February 11, 2013

Dear Iheartaustralia,

Greetings from Ovolo Melbourne,

It was a pleasure reading your shining review of the hotel. I am delighted you enjoyed our progressive and unique approach. I do have to agree that the rainfall showers are fantastic and I am glad our front desk team were able to assist you with your airport transfers.

On behalf of the team at Ovolo Melbourne I hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Kind Regards