“Unlimited Indian Food At Unbelievable Price”
Review of Om Vegetarian

Om Vegetarian
Ranked #785 of 4,155 Restaurants in Melbourne
Cuisines: Indian, Healthy
Good for: Families with children
Neighborhood: Central Business District
Description: At Om we aim to delight our customers with Indian Vegetarian and Vegan meals cooked fresh daily using local ingredients
Reviewed July 1, 2013

Om Vegetarian Restaurant is located at a very convenient place-right opposite Flinders Street Station in the first floor of Gorkha Institute Building on Elizabeth Street.A small sign board in the footpath attracted my attention when I was searching for a place to have good veg food.I discovered to my delight that a good veg meal comprising of dal, rice,nan a mixed vegetable or rajma and pickle are being served in unlimited quantity for a very very reasonable amount of 6.5 A
UD only which is almost unbelievable in Melbourne!(other Indian Restaurants are much costlier) All items including nan are very fresh and hot As soon as you empty your dishes, you go to the serving counter and the Indian lady will immediately fill up all the bowls with repeat helping The place is not very spacious and always remains crowded with diners which include many Australians also.During our stay in Melbourne, we took all our meals here.The dishes may not be very delicious or finger licking but not bland either!Due to heavy demand, they run out of food by 8pm in the night.GOOD FOOD AT A GREAT PRICE

1  Thank KOLKATASANKAR
There are newer reviews for Om Vegetarian

Reviewed June 23, 2013

Walking, stopping, walking, quickened pace, stopping, squinting, walking... The search for a good meal at a good price seems like sifting through an neglected junk filled letter box for the single postcard you sent to yourself after a 6 month journey from a distant land.....

As I was walking I noticed a small scooter sanding alone on the busy side walk of an over crowded Melbournian street.
While approaching this clue to my soon to be holy grail, I noticed all the restaurants to my left and the others over the road to my right were filled with people paying an average hours wage for a meal with hidden ingredients that they most likely could not pronounce, a meal that would be quicky forgotten and scoffed down in order to save a few minutes for their 'get back into work mode routine'. I could not accept this for myself, I let my curiosity walk me onwards.

The food looked disgusting (most of the time) and it was either fat, sugar, sweet, msg or meat.

Was looking in the city for a affordable meal my bad decision?

When I got to the 'not compensating for anything I was or was not born as a man' bike, I saw a small sign above an entrance that read 'OM Vegertarian'.

I decided to take a plunge and see what lied beyond the end of this corridor.

A busy KFC was in my peripherals and i tried not to pay it any attention due to the fact every time you look in a 'Successful' fast food outlet (that is somehow classified as retail) it tries its hardest to sell you EVERYTHING ON THE MENU!

One I got to the first floor and turning the corner I was overwhelmed with a smell that transported me back to my travels in Asia.

People were eating from a very sorely missed silver plate with dividers. Curry, rice, dahl, pickle naan......

The room did not look like a restaurant or cafe that was very common in the city let alone the CBD... but there were posters on the wall with nice messages, promoting peace, love and (all the things every single person needs to spend more time receiving and giving)

I walk past the faces to the counter and give the magical $6.50 and received the first meal for th rest of my life..

How can anyone else compete?

Not only does its continuously soul nourishing food offer a rare CBD BARGIN, no lives are lost in order to fill your belly till its absolute limit.

Its good for the Environment, it crushes any other restaurants absurd reasoning for unreasonable prices (I get the extra service and the nice setting deal argument) but the foods only limit is your own and its very convenient location in the heart of Melbourne....... TWICE

1  Thank Joshuathompsonisme
Reviewed April 29, 2013

The blessings in disguise for vegetarians looking for desi food.It reminds you the true desi home cooked food.The naans were soft and tasty.they serve razma (kidney beans),aloo sabzi,rice,naan.and that too unlimited!!! one must try here.i was surprised to find many foreigners at this restaurent.every one was enjoying great food.

1  Thank vikb4u
Reviewed April 13, 2013

For AUD 6.50 as much as you like you can eat. Nan, rice, dal and one mixed sabzi. It not very tasty but the best value for money in terms of quantity that you can eat.

OmVegetarian, General Manager at Om Vegetarian, responded to this reviewResponded March 8, 2016

Thank you for your kind review Lotus gourmand - we'd like to think we've improved over the years and would love for you to try us again if you're in the city.

stay well, stay healthy, Om.

Reviewed March 26, 2013

I am frequent traveller to the Melbourne and have always found this restaurant a delight to eat at.
$6.50 all you can eat - Amazing!

2  Thank Smiles_Sunshine