“Very enjoyable stay”
Review of Space Hotel

Space Hotel
Ranked #11 of 144 Specialty Lodging in Melbourne
Reviewed November 24, 2013

I stayed during the last week of Oct 2013. Conveniently located at the North end of the CBD. Very close to tram stations. 2 blocks from Lygon St and Swanston St. The hotel staff are very welcoming and helpful. The hotel is fatastically clean, especially the bathrooms. There's always staff constantly cleaning and keeping things in order. Reasonably priced and I liked the NO Alcohol policy. This basically means if ur young and looking for a rowdy place to party this would not be the best choice. However, there are lots of guests of all ages. Really good for those in the late 20s and 30s...u're not too old and not 18!! Many of the excursions/tour buses directly pick up from here which is very convenient. The kitchen is huge and clean. Unfortunately no free wifi

Room Tip: Poor cell phone reception on the upper floors. Free Wifi at the library which is very close.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
There are newer reviews for Space Hotel

Reviewed November 24, 2013 via mobile

A group of 6 including myself stayed at the Space Hotel in the middle of August and we couldn't have picked a better place to stay.
We came over for a weekend footy trip and needed somewhere inexpensive to stay. A few of us had already stayed at the Space Hotel two years ago and were blown away with the recent renovations! We all loved the concept of having different 'spaces' in the hotel and the rooms were great!
The space hotel has everything you need:
- Cheap meals/drinks
- Cheap rooms
- Friendly staff
- Decent shared bathrooms that are cleaned regularly
I will recommend the Space Hotel to everyone I talk to and will be back soon!

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 20, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed in an Executive Queen Room with an ensuite in October and I was surprised at how much space was in the room, it was clean, the bathroom was a good size. Even though we stayed two nights they changed our towels which was another pleasant surprise. We didn't use the kitchen facilities in the Hotel but there was lots of space and appliances. It's in a pretty good location. We were on level 6 and it wasn't noisy at all. Good security. I will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 18, 2013

This place is what they're calling a 'social hotel'. Not a hostel, not a hotel but somewhere in between. Amenities were at hotel standard, great rooms, with some extras you're unlikely to get in a hotel, like the stadium seating cinema, the communal rooftop terrace and the chill out space/ library. Another plus over hotels: you can get an ensuite and also use communal bathrooms--never have arguments over the shower again!

Rooftop spa was a nice touch, albeit lukewarm (which makes it a bit useless).

Real huge downside came on our last day. We put some bags in their storage and one was stolen! Well, taken by mistake. Luckily, they left the bag at a train station for us to pick. It made us late to our flight and we argued with the airline staff and ran to the plane. It was a really poor performance on behalf of the staff at the hotel because the system is ridiculous: you can basically take whatever bag you want.

I will be back next time I'm in Melbourne. But I wont leave my bag.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
SpaceHotel1, Guest Relations Manager at Space Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 10, 2013

Thank you very much for providing feedback on your stay. We are very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and would once again like to apologize to you about your bag. New procedures have been put in place to ensure that this situation does not occur again. Cloak room style tags with a tear off section are now placed on all luggage. Both sides of the tags have corresponding unique numbers that are matched prior to releasing the bag to the guest.

Reviewed November 8, 2013

We stayed for five nights in mid-October and would definitely stay again. The hotel is really reasonably priced for somewhere so central and was spotlessly clean. Our room - a double, without en-suite on the fourth floor - was perfectly proportioned, clean and quiet, overlooking Russell Street and Old Melbourne Gaol. With a flat screen TV (with USB input), drinks making facilities, a wardrobe, desk, chair and an iPod dock in the alarm clock there really wasn't much else we could've asked for.

The reception staff were friendly, helpful and efficient and the other staff, who we frequently saw cleaning the communal areas were also friendly and polite. The bathrooms, which of course were shared, were always clean and well maintained and the showers never ran out of hot water - something of a rarity in places like this! I had to use a shower on another floor on a couple of mornings as my floor was busy, but that was really no big deal.

The lift broke a couple of days before we left and that could have posed a problem, if it weren't for the other lift that serviced just floors 5 and up, so we jumped in that one then walked down a flight. :)

The laundry and kitchen were large and well fitted out and the communal spaces on each floor were great! We were looking for hostel accommodation when we came across the Space Hotel and it really is like a cross between a hostel and hotel, with all of the best bits of a hostel, but none of the rough bits. I've stayed in far worse hotels than this, for much more money!

There's a 7/11 and a convenience store literally a minute walk away, a wealth of restaurants along Lygon Street just a couple of minutes walk away and all of the CBD on the doorstep. I'd recommend the Space Hotel to pretty much anyone and will definitely stay again. Can't beat it.

ps: A trip up to the roof is a must, if just for the view never mind the hot tub!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 27, 2013

For under $80 a night (in Melbourne) I expected a couple of issues but was disappointed with the two issues below

Bad points
1) I was on the 7th floor. I assume everyone on this floor also doesn't have an ensuite because all i could hear at night was people opening and closing their doors (they are security doors so they make a very loud click). It seems like a design flaw to have security doors for rooms without their own bathroom as there is a lot more corridor traffic to deal with. I found it intolerable.
2)The single bed was average at best. Definitely had a pronounced depression

Good points
*Location is very good. On the fringe of the city circle.
*Rooms are clean
*Bathrooms are clean (although generally wet as the shower doors open outwards)
*Looks to have excellent facilities like dvd room and large communal kitchen(although i can't speak firsthand as i never found the time to use them)
*Excellent security (but i would be prepared to trade off some security for some quieter doors)
*travel desk downstairs

Other notes
Room was small but fully expected at this price.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
SpaceHotel1, Manager at Space Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 29, 2013

Nick,

Thank you for your review. The door issue is a well know issue to us. It is more related to the requirement for fore doors then it is for security. The required metal frames are what cause the noise. We are constantly looking at new ways to reduce the noise generated by these doors and your review helps us to make this a priority.
Our mattress quality is something that we are very proud of and I am surprised that the room your where staying is had an issue. Can you please email me yossi@spacehotel.com.au with either the room number or reservation details so that I can get this sorted out strait away.

Reviewed October 25, 2013

Space Hotel is very conveniently located near the CBD of Melbourne. Just a 5-10 min walk, you are right in the middle of everything. It's also just a few minutes from one of the free city circle tram stops (tram no. 35) on Russell Street and La Trobe Street. The security of the hotel is very good because there are 2 security doors that need your room key card to enter before you get to your room. The shared bathrooms and toilets are clean and well maintained and make you feel comfortable to use them at any time. The single room that I've stayed in has a closet with some hangers and a long mirror which is very nice! I really didn't expect to find those in a backpacker place. The staff at the front desk is nice and helpful. The staff at the travel info counter, whose name is Amar, is friendly and he helped me with great choices of day tours and other travel info around the city. I've spent 7 days staying at the Space Hotel and would highly recommend others to try too!

Room Tip: Windows of the rooms on the 1st floor cannot be opened, so ask for upper floors if you want fresh ai...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo