“Very clean, convenient and modern.”
Review of Space Hotel

Space Hotel
Hobart, Australia
“Very clean, convenient and modern.”
Reviewed October 24, 2013

We (2 adults, one child) stayed in one of the Suites over 2 nights and three days and found it to be more than adequate for our stay. The room was very spacious, clean and modern. The deck was large (we had one of the end ones that partially wrap around the room.)
The kitchen was large and clean and the staff at the front desk were very helpful and friendly.
The only tiny issue was that there was a small hole in one of the spare bed sheets, and that there was a really ugly hole gouged out of the bedroom cieling to allow a fire sprinkler to be installed. (Which wasn't really a problem, as safetly is good! Just super ugly. It looked like the hole had been hacked out with a blunt spoon.)
The beds were comfy and the sofa bed, although very creaky, was good to sleep on.
There can be some partiers in the place as it is a hostel (woke up to find cigarette butts on our deck from next door) but generally it was very quiet. We spoke to a young man there who said it was the quietest hostel he had stayed in while in Melbourne.
It can get a little noisy from the street below but it's nothing too excessive.

It's only a short walk from shops and restaurants and a Taxi drives past literally every 10 seconds. I would definitely recommend this place to families and singles.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Adelaide, South Australia, Australia
Reviewed October 18, 2013

Stayed 6 nights in total and can hardly fault it. Would definitely recommend (particularly younger people and independent travellers looking for a comfortable stay on a budget). We stayed 5 nights in a 4 person room w/ensuite. The room was clean and modern. Only tiny problem is the windows on the lower floors dont open and would have liked some fresh air as opposed to the ventilation system but other than that I couldnt fault it. Stayed 1 night in a 6 person dorm as other rooms were booked out in the middle of the stay. Staff did endeavour to find another room with ensuite but it was fully booked. No complaints about hostel style accommodation. Room was spacious and tidy. Staff were extremely friendly and helpful throughout our stay. The shared bathrooms were fine, clean enough although as the shower and toilet was in the same room the floors were often quite wet. The location is very convenient as it is a street away from the free city loop tram and a 5 minute walk to melbourne central and QV where there is a vast array of shopping, including a movie complex. Kitchen on top floor is clean and spacious. Rooftop is nice if you want to relax on a deckchair in the sun and take some quiet time. Movie room is a great idea (really just a dark movie theatre room with a projector hooked up to Foxtel). Ventured into the bar for a free drink- very male dominated. Nevertheless a good place to meet people staying at the hostel.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Warragul, Australia
Reviewed October 16, 2013

Excellent facilities, friendly staff who were very helpful, close to downtown attractions. We weren't able to sample the bistro/bar this time round but it looked tempting with specials on every night. Our only concern was the noise of the aircon fan which couldn't be turned off. Rooms from level 5 up have a different system and may be quieter. Our room was a Queen with ensuite , small but had all the requirements for our stay.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed October 16, 2013

I stayed for 3 nights. The first night was in an 8 room dorm on a Friday night. I was surprised at how quiet the room was and well behaved the other guests were. Decent bathroom on the level I stayed and kept very clean. The Saturday/Sunday night I stayed in a single room. Very happy with the room. It was bigger than I was expecting for how cheap it was. Bathroom on this level was clean, but not as nice as the one I stayed in on the Friday night. Reception staff were friendly and helpful. Kept my bag in storage while I was between check ins for the rooms. Great budget/solo option.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Australia
Reviewed October 12, 2013

I stayed the space hotel for for seven days. The facilities and Rooms were immaculate. I had a single room with a television, of PowerPoints and easy access to communal bathrooms which we cleaned several times a day. They have a strict no noise no alcohol policy and they followed up immediately when there was some noise on my floor one night. I highly recommend this venue.

• Stayed October 2013
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 10, 2013

Really nice places to stay!!! We stayed in an apartment in Melbourne for a few days before we moved here after friends went home. This is a fantastic place, really well situated, modern, clean, and great facilities. We had a fantastic view. The bar downstairs is great too. Really isn't a cheap and cheerful hostel I stayed there we my parent we had one bedroom and a sofa bed in the living room, plenty of room for us with our own bathroom too.
If you're visiting with family/friends I really suggest staying here.

Roof top terrace with a bbq and hot tub

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed October 7, 2013

I stayed at the Space Hotel for a little over a week. I was in a dorm one night and in a twin room the rest of the time.The hotel is huge and has the theme of having a space for everything. They offer a large commercial grade kitchen, roof top to relax on, a small exercise room, a big lounge with books and a place to use your computer and a TV/movie room. Plus there's a bar attached to the hotel as well as an internet cafe in the lobby. I used most of these facilities though out my stay. The hotel is located in the middle of the CBD and on both the free and pay per use tram lines.It's also across the street from the Melbourne Gaol. So it's a great location.

As per the rooms I found both the dorm and the twin room to be big, clean and have more than enough space. The beds were comfy too! For the dorms my only complaint was I didn't really know where the sheets and such were kept thus leading me to be confused as to what beds were free and what were taken. The reception should have explained their system of claiming beds, as every hostel is different. This would have cleared up my confusion. That being said the staff at the front desk in the afternoon and evening were very friendly and helpful. I found the staff in the early morning to be not as overly friendly as the afternoon and evening staff, but he was not mean or nasty at all. The dorm room had more than enough space for my two large bags without them getting in anyone's way. The twin room was very big and I loved the TV but the remote had see better days as all the buttons were so warn you couldn't see what was on them and some no longer worked. It shouldn't be too hard to replace the remotes that have warn out.

The common bathrooms and showers were cleaned everyday, at least once. But I did notice towards the evenings when most people were back for the night the bathrooms got a bit grimy, not the hotels fault at all but were always clean by 9-10am the next morning. So maybe adding another cleaning shift in the evening would improve the state of the bathrooms at night? I did have a problem with the showers as they always seemed to be cold. I tired taking a shower at different times hoping it would be a fluke but if the water started to turn warm it didn't last and soon turned cold.

The exercise space was small but offered a treadmill, a stationary bike, weight machines and a ski machine. It, too, had a TV but no remote at all. If you wanted to watch TV you had to use the buttons on the side of the TV thus stooping you exercises to do so. Also the room always seemed to be really hot. The aircon was on but like the TV was missing it's remote and unlike the TV there didn't seem to be a way to manually change the settings.

I enjoyed the lounge area while in the dorm. It was a great place to use my computer or just relax outside of the dorm room. I wish more hotels had such an area.

The Blue Moon bar had an over all nice feeling to it and good specials for different nights. I really would have liked to see some healthier or greener options on the menu. When I tired to order the veg pizza, the only veggies I could find on the menu, they were out. The rest of the menu, which was typically pub food, was just too heavy. If there were some lighter options I would have had more than one meal there; But over all it's a great place for drinks and you can't beat the location right attached to the hotel!

The kitchen was a huge commercial grade that most restaurants would envy. You can rent dishes and such from the front desk, for 20 dollar deposit, but I didn't find out about this until the middle of my trip. Maybe having the desk agents ask about this at check in? The kitchen also offered a lot of in door and outdoor seating and everything was spotless. The rooftop was a really nice area with a hot tub and many chairs to relax in. At night if offers a great view!

Over all I really enjoyed my stay and this hotel would be great for all travelers. From solo to family to even elderly and disabled (there was a disabled bathroom on every floor). I highly recommend anyone looking to stay in the middle of Melbourne and without breaking the bank stay here.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo