Space Hotel
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
Novotel Melbourne on Collins(Melbourne)(Great Value!)
$130
$123
$91
$87
ibis
  • Bar/Lounge
Treasury On Collins(Melbourne)(Great Value!)
$165
  • Breakfast included
Pan Pacific Melbourne(Melbourne)(Great Value!)
$200
$125
Hotels.com
  • Room Service
The Hotel Windsor(Melbourne)(Great Value!)
$157
$69
$67
  • Fitness center
Art Series - The Blackman(Melbourne)(Great Value!)
$170
$126
Agoda.com
  • Room Service
Art Series - The Larwill Studio(Melbourne)(Great Value!)
$137
$232
$225
$184
  • Pool
All reviewsmovie roomhot tubshared bathroomcleaned timeshuge kitchenindividual bathroomsbed dormcleaned regularlyshared facilitiesrooftop terracebar downstairsold melbourne gaoltop bunkfree wifismall gymbudget hotelpower points
FilterAll languages
Reviewed April 20, 2013

After finding myself in Melbourne needing a bed and shower for one night I jumped on wotif and found the Space Hotel. I booked a single private room. I knew in advance it was a budget hotel and had the expectation that the room would be small and neat with shared shower and this is all I needed.

At check-in the staff were competent got me my room key told me where to find the room etc. this is all I needed I wouldn’t say they were overly great at customer service or friendly but since I didn’t have and problems, questions or queries so this wasn’t an issue.

Since staying at the hotel I have read some bad reviews regarding noise and cleanliness of the facilities. First of all the room and showers and toilets were immaculately clean and well kept A+ for this. As far as noise well yes I was on the 7th floor and I could hear the noise from the bar below easily but then again I had my window open plus it didn’t bother me in any way. I didn’t hear any noise from the other rooms or hallways as some reviews have pointed out negatively, sure there were people chatting away in the hallways with one another but hardly rowdy in any way, in a sense this was quite nice to see people being social and not just locking themselves away in their rooms for their say.

It’s a bit of the way for my liking as when in Melbourne I like to spend my time down by the Yarra and South Wharf but still in walking distance to anywhere you want to go (I walked up from Southern Cross Station).

Overall I would stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Bingo H
Reviewed April 19, 2013

Stayed here for a couple of days with friends after a church conference while travelling around Melbourne.
The staff were friendly and efficient with our check-ins, and the room were really great. Clean and tidy. For the price it was really worth it.
Its located near the city and Lygon street as well, so its close to where lots of great food are.

Highly recommended for friends on a budget to stay here. Great experience.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 18, 2013 via mobile

Stayed for a week on my own as I was doing some traveling around Aus. Impressed with this place, first time in a hostel, a lot of thought has gone into the hotel. I had a queen room which was huge, window didn't open which was a pain as the air con unit had to be on full time and was quite noisy. The kitchen is huge, massive fridges and lockers for your food, none of my stuff went missing :-) Sharing a bathroom was fine, it was always free and clean too. The hostel has loads of good facilities and is really close to the free tram that takes you around the cbd. Made some nice friends here - Went to the bar which had some great drinks deals on offer. It's worth paying a bit more for this place as you get what you pay for as they say!

• Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed April 13, 2013

this was my first time in an hostel...I have to say that was a good one!! nice rooms, confortable beds and most important clean bathrooms. There is everything you need. Only bad note is about internet that is too much expensive and even if you pay in advance the whole week you have a GB limit and you cannot use skype if you don't want to finish all your GB.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Valentina R
Reviewed April 13, 2013

Had stayed the previous night at another hotel, but could only get one night/literally "everything" was booked in Melbourne for some reason on this night. So I took a chance here, worried by some prior reviews but was pleasantly surprised! I had a private room with shared bathrooms, but another part of the building is apparently more hostel-like with shared rooms. The floor I was on was very quiet. The shared bathrooms for private rooms are actually single bathrooms that lock, with sink/toilet/shower, so it's "private" while you're using it, just that you have to go out into the hallway to find one (there are several per floor, never a problem while I was there) and others use it in between - seemed clean though. The rooms are absolutely TINY - but new, modern and spotless. There is a single bed, desk, chair, small closet, wall TV, clock radio, a/c, and mirror all in a tiny compact space with an opening window - really all a single traveler needs, and very well designed Euro-compact style, I was quite impressed at the "functionality" in such a small space. There is free Wifi at McDonalds not far. The visitor info book in the room was well done, best (only?) I'd seen in Aus hotels. For a short stay where you're not spending too much time in your room, this place is a really decent alternative for a decent price.

One improvement would be to make the bathrooms separate male and female... there are enough of them per floor to do this, and as a female using a shared bathroom I would be more comfortable showering etc in a shower used only by other women. Also the hand driers in the bathrooms are very loud - and on the walls right next to the rooms - so this can get annoying at night if you are in a room next to a bathroom and someone uses the drier.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo