Space Hotel
$229
$210
  • Pool
Treasury On Collins(Melbourne)(Great Value!)
$173
$157
  • Breakfast included
The Westin Melbourne(Melbourne)
$195
$176
Westin.com
  • Pool
Pan Pacific Melbourne(Melbourne)(Great Value!)
$192
$104
Hotels.com
  • Room Service
The Hotel Windsor(Melbourne)(Great Value!)
$158
Hotel Windsor
  • Restaurant
Alto Hotel on Bourke(Melbourne)(Great Value!)
$95
$148
Marriott Hotels
  • Pool
Radisson on Flagstaff Gardens(Melbourne)(Great Value!)
$126
$199
$175
Priceline
  • Pool
All reviewsmovie roomhot tubshared bathroomcleaned timeshuge kitchenindividual bathroomsbed dormcleaned regularlyshared facilitiesrooftop terracebar downstairsold melbourne gaoltop bunkfree wifismall gymbudget hotelpower points
Reviewed February 27, 2013

I had booked 2 separate stays at this hotel. Each time the booking was done wrong and charged more each time (Australia Open week the rates pretty much go up on the spot depending on who won the match the night before so prebook early)

1st stay: I asked for female dorm. She (curly haired girl whose name escapes me but the name on the reservation said Meleane) put me in a mixed dorm (nice guy though). She also had the wrong name. She also had the worst attitude I've seen when I asked to fix this and I'm a travel agent!
Also the mixed dorm room (room222) was TERRIBLE. It was a '6 person dorm' but really it was a 4 person dorm that had been converted and the lockers for the 2 new beds where the size of school lockers that only fits high school bags. I couldn't fit my carry on luggage into that thing. Now I know what they really meant by 'recently renovated!

2nd stay: Room was wrong again but this time in my favour so I shouldn't complain. 6 room ended up being a 3 person room. However you got to wonder how the reservation system works if it does this to each booking?

Also I found out from roommates that she booked a PRIVATE double room and still ended up in a 6 person dorm so be warned you will NOT be guaranteed to get what you paid for. No matter what they will tell you.

In their defence
They were very clean and in the rooms they do have powerpoints for your electrical needs and one towel. My problem was that the light in wadrobe kept staying on and kept me up until I jammed it in the middle of the night (sorry to my roommates that it was so bright as I know it was annoying everyone).

Facilities
The top floor was closed off so I couldn't see the views. The cinema room is ok but you will spend a half hour in there at most (just normal TV) so don't bother. Kitchen area was alright. I wouldn't bother with other common areas as they were closed quite early. Gym was very small but I suppose in a pinch it would do.

In the end I don't know how this hotel received a good review.

Room Tip: Do not book 222 as it was recently 'renovated' and has more beds than fits comfortably.That was the room with the tiny lockers.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed February 25, 2013

We (two older daughters and I)  stayed in triple share room which worked well for us.
Although I hate hotel rooms which don't have a chair! But as one daughter pointed out where would you have put it
Air conditioning a bit loud but kept the room cool and it didn't bother us.
We didn't use the hostel kitchen, but you could easily cook for yourself...as many did. And the kitchen and dining areas are fantastic.
Nice roof garden, close enough to central Melbourne
Very easily accessed through Shuttle Bus service from Tullamarine

Room Tip: It's the sort of place where you probably don't want to spend hours in your room. When in the hotel I sat on the rooftop, or in the coffee shop downstairs. Much pleasanter
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed February 23, 2013

My vote goes to Space Hotel and its staff as the best in Australia if not in the world. Friendly, accomodating, experienced and courteous staff. My personal favourite is Melike ( This is not the right spelling. It is my bad that I don't know how to spell my favourite receptionist's name. I ask for her forgiveness) She's amazing along with the rest providing outstanding service. This is the place for you if you are after for clean bathrooms and rooms with aircon, big lockers even to fit your luggage, restful sleep, huge clean modern kitchen with all the amenities, fine facilities-gym for health & body conscious, bar serving cheap drinks and food with always happening events, big outside balcony with tables, rooftop to enjoy the sun. Beautifully located near the publictransport with easy access to hot spots in and around the city by a short walk or public transport, it really is a 'find'. Thank you. Keep smiling. All the best.

Room Tip: Everyone have different preference. I think superb staff at the space hostel would be the best for guests to consult on room choice.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed February 22, 2013

I stayed at the Space Hotel for one night on a business trip and I had a great experience. I booked into a single room, but then got upgraded TWICE to a balcony room with ensuite! The room was spacious, towels and other amenities provided (soap, shampoo, conditioner) and the view from the balcony was not bad. When I first entered the room, it felt quite stuffy and opening the windows didn't help, but the staff were more than happy to help me adjust the air-conditioning so everything was fine in the end. Staff were friendly and helpful with directions too. Although it's a little bit of a walk from the parts of the CBD I needed to be, there is a tram stop right nearby and I will definitely consider staying again!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed February 21, 2013

I stayed in the triple bed ensure room for a week. The facilities are good, from the never-ending supply of hot water at the corridors to the gym and the kitchen on the fifth floor. The rooms don't get cleaned everyday though, which is fine. My only complaint is that some of the tenants can get especially loud late at night and the fact that there's no free wifi.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family