“Great place to relax”
Review of Space Hotel

Space Hotel
Ranked #14 of 157 Specialty Lodging in Melbourne
Reviewed December 6, 2012

Very impresssed by this hostel. I stayed here for my last night in melbourne after a two month stay in the city, my only regret was not comming sooner. Booked into a private broom, got a free upgrade to a queen room, epic. Great location and amazing building, massive space makes the place seem deserted. Movie theater, gym and hot tub on the roof puts thsi hostel on another level. Didnt have a chance to check out the bar downstairs, but despite my early night didn't have any trouble with noise despite the pole dancing competition going on downstairs. Ill be back here next time.

Room Tip: Private rooms are great value

Reviewed December 6, 2012

My husband and I were in Melbourne for the weekend and wanted somwhere central and inexpensive to stay. We booked an Executive Queen Room which comes with an ensuite. The room was no-frills and had zero character (yes I know this is a hostel/budget hotel, and it's called "Space" after all which doesn't exactly conjure up images of quirky furnishings) but it DID contain tea and coffee making facilities, an ipod dock, and a decently sized LCD TV. The bathroom was spacious and clean. My only gripe was the noise from the balcony directly underneath us meant we couldn't have our window open, and my pillow was the lumpiest pillow I've ever encountered. I mean I've stayed in some pretty dodgy hotels and experienced some super lumpy pillows, but this pillow was a whole new realm of lumpy. I commented at the time that it was like laying my head on a sack of egg cartons. To conclude, do I think the room was worth $120+.. no, but given the cost of accommodation in the Melbourne CBD this was one of the least expensive options for those wanting a private room with their own bathroom.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 5, 2012

The private rooms are clean and comfortable and includes AC and TV. The staff are excellent, very friendly and helpful, all of them! The shared bathrooms and showers are kept clean. We didn't use the very large kitchen but walked through looked clean and useful. There is a small movie theatre and DVD library. There is also a gym and roof top deck with hot tub. There is no alcohol allowed in the rooms.

The location is amazing. Across the street from the old jail and quick walk to Lygone St or Queen Victoria Market and a stop for the free Trolly that circles the CBD.

Left luggage is ok, you check it in and pick it up yourself, although the door is locked by a staff person.

There is a bar downtown stairs, closes at midnight, Wednesday backpacker night is very loud if you are on the 2nd fl.

You need to keep your key with you always to get into your floor, room, bathroom, shower.

Good value for location, we paid $100/night.

Room Tip: High floors are better for guest noice except 5 which is busy with the kitchen.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 30, 2012

It was my first time staying in a hostel and I chose Space Hotel after a colleague's recommendation. The location is excellent! Just a mere 5 minutes walk away from the famous Lygon Street (with tons of good and affordable dining places), RMIT University (thus making the area lively with plenty of youths) and free City Tram.

The receptionist who attended to me was friendly. He was thorough and fast with the check-in procedures as well as guiding me through the regulations and facilities. Also, I went to him when my purse (which had the card key to my room) was stolen and I was very worried but he was very nice and did not charge me extra for the stolen card key. My brief experience with the other receptionists throughout my stay was pretty good too. All of them were helpful with my enquiries.

I booked a single room throughout my stay and while the room is small, it certainly was enough for one person. All the necessities were there - TV, confortable and clean bed, full-length mirror (important for the ladies), a huge cupboard, several power plugs, a desk with chair and even a little bedside lamp! Also, I was on the 6th floor so the huge window with a view of the city was definitely a bonus!

The toilets/bathrooms were located just beside my room and there were plentiful so there's certainly no need for queues. The entire place was also mostly quiet all the time and I pretty much slept through the nights without being disturbed at all.

The common kitchen was huge and has all the necessary tools. I also used the laundry room which was great too albeit a little pricey to use the washing machines and dryers. Also, there are no free internet so you'll have to pay extra for it. I didn't require it so it did not affect me.

The only negative experience I had was with my towel, which had a red stain but other than that, everything was pretty much perfect!

Overall, I highly recommend Space Hotel for fellow travelers as the surrounding area is safe and convenient and the Hotel building is clean and new.

1  Thank YeelingChua
Reviewed November 26, 2012

Ok so the overall hotel (im not sure why it is under hotel.. its a hostel) is nice, spacious and very clean.

However, in my opinion the security is a bit OTT... you need to take your key card EVERYWHERE and if you lose it its a $20 fine... people would probably not lose it as much if they didnt have to take is everywhere with them.

As well as this the reception are very unhelpful, no-one showed us around or told us about the complimentary facilities such as the gym, spa pool and cinema room. They were lovely girls but not pro at customer service (unless ofcourse you are a good looking 20 something male).

Dont get my wrong, if you want a nice, clean place to stay then this is good for the price but after travelling NZ in friendly welcoming hostels coming to stay here in OZ is a bit of a culture change.

Room Tip: All rooms are very nice, the beds are seperated well and they are very sturdy.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank sarah c
Reviewed November 17, 2012

We stayed in a twin room in Space Hotel for three days and it was really a pleasant experience. The room was spacious and clean with air conditioning on all day as the way to get fresh air in. So you won't feel too cold or too warm since you can control the temperature inside the room. Although there was no bathroom in the room, it was very convenient to get access to because there were plenty of separate toilets and shower rooms in each level which you can access using your room card. Also there was a public kitten where you can cook your own meals using the kitchenware provided by the hotel and cutlery you can borrow from the reception for free. We had our breakfast there every day which was cost effective and convenient. The most impressive point was the location of the hotel. We didn't do much research but we were really lucky since it was a short walk to Melbourne central and free city circle tram station was within short walking distance which made our trip much easier. Overall, Space Hotel is a great choice if you are looking for good value, location and services.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 13, 2012

As a woman of 60, I wanted a single budget room in the CBD while I visited my son who's at uni in Melbourne.
He recommended SPACE. The room was spotless, linen crisp white, beautiful view (6th floor) and very clean bathrooms (3 within a few paces).
Most guests are young travellers, but SPACE is not noisy - everyone is friendly and civilised! :)
My room had 2 opening windows, so you can have fresh air or air-con.
Good TV and tea/coffee facilities handy.
A convenient location - I walked everywhere and caught trams for longer distances.

All in all, this type of accommodation should be the future in capital cities for people who want budget, clean places to sleep.
I'll stay here every time I visit Melbourne.

Room Tip: My room faced west - I had a spectacular view of hot air balloons early on Sunday morning. There are...