“Weekend away” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #33 of 157 Hotels in Melbourne
Melbourne
“Weekend away”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

A beautiful place to stay. The staff were friendly and helpful and we were upgraded from a standard room to a suite. Our stay was most enjoyable, peaceful and quiet and suite was very clean. We enjoyed a game of pool in the billiard room too, but table slightly too large for the room size....the walls got in the way!!

Room Tip: We has room number 408, couldn't fault it!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
Charsfield478, Manager at Hotel Charsfield, responded to this review, August 22, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

I am very pleased that you enjoyed your stay in the upgraded room. Thank you for comments about the service you received from the staff, I will be sure to pass this onto them.

We are very fortunate to have the full sized snooker table left behind from when the Army owned the building. I am pleased that you enjoyed a game.

We hope to welcome you back to The Hotel Charsfield on your next weekend away.

Vic, Spain
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

The Hotel staff are very attentive and friendly, happy to assist in any way.
The Restaurant food was a delight, flavoursome and prompt with very attentive service.
Our rooms were very clean, with comfortable beds and bedding, each with lovely clean modern en suites. The Hotel is extremely charming and steeped in history. We played a most enjoyable game of snooker on the full size pool table in the games room, then enjoyed drinks in the bar. Altogether a Charming experience, in which we will visit again soon.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting your lovely review.

I am pleased that you enjoyed your recent stay with us in particular the service you received from the staff. Thank you for your kind comments about your dining experience in our restaurant and bar and glad you were able to enjoy a game of snooker.

We look forward to welcoming you back to The Hotel Charsfield in the near future.

koondrook
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

i stayed in this hotel with my wife for 2 nights witha travel auction voucher i requested an upgrade for our 25th wedding anniversary they said they would try to organise for us on arrival no upgrade or mention of our aniversary the room was very hot we turned off heater which was on when we got there and had the cooling on 18 degrees all weekend which in winter is crazy the shower took 5 minutes to heat up and when it did the pressure was the worst ive ever experienced in a hotel the one saving grace was the breakfast and the staff serving it if you want a special weekend dont stay here.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars
Charsfield478, Manager at Hotel Charsfield, responded to this review, August 16, 2012
Dear Stephen,

Thank you for your comments. I think that there may have been a misunderstanding in regard to the upgraded room. If you read through your agreement with Travel Auctions it will inform you that you are able to “upgrade” and then explains the “upgrade” costs.

I believe that you emailed and asked for a free upgrade? We sometimes can offer this but cannot guarantee an upgraded room. On the date that you stayed the hotel was full, we had bookings for all our upgrade rooms.

Could I suggest that in future if you are booking a hotel for such an important occasion that it would be been better to pay for an upgraded room in order to guarantee it?

Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

This hotel is old world. It is a converted home. With it comes the super high ceilings which make the hotel feel very spacious.

There are rooms upstairs and on ground level. I must commend the hotel reception staff who actually helped us bring our two large pieces of luggage up the stairs to our room.

Rooms are well appointed and whilst the bathroom is not large it is adequate with a lovely rain shower.

The bed is very comfortable. The little flat screen TV is just nice for the room.

For parking you can either park on the roadside (along St Kilda Road) in the evenings for free or opt for secure parking that is accessed around the back of the property.

We had a room which was close to the front of the hotel but could hardly hear the noise from the road.

We had dinner in the hotel and the food was nice. Price was not too expensive either.

There are reading rooms where you can retire in the evening to read or play boardgames.

Internet is free too via a secure wifi network for up to 100mb a day which is quite a lot.

Room Tip: Downstairs if you did not want to carry your bags up the stairs if you have a problem with stairs.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Edster88
Charsfield478, Manager at Hotel Charsfield, responded to this review, August 15, 2012
Dear Edster88,

Thank you for posting such a wonderful review.

I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and pleased that you were able to make use of our hotel facilities including our reading room, restaurant and free internet.

We very much look forward to welcoming back in the near future.

Bracknell, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

I spent a couple of nights at this hotel last year for a business trip.
I was really pleased when I saw the beautiful building. However, when I walked to my room, after walking through this amazing building with high ceilings and wooden floors, I then reached a different part of the hotel where my room was situated. This part of the building was bland and poorly decorated and felt isolated from everything else.
My room looked nothing like those on the pictures. It was situated under the roof and as I tried to rest after a 23 hours flight, I could hear the noise of running animals (mice or rats) in the loft. This didn't stop for the 2 nights I spent at the hotel and I was rather scared. The room itself was not pretty at all, the snacks provided were out of date.
To top this experience, after I had left and returned to England, I was charged for snacks I had not eaten. This was not on my original invoice but added and taken from my credit card after I had left the hotel.

The good points: the breakfast was very nice (lovely coffee) and the staff friendly. The location is convenient.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars
3 Thank MallorieD
Charsfield478, Manager at Hotel Charsfield, responded to this review, August 12, 2012
Dear Mallorie,

Thank you for posting your review, I am disappointed that you did not enjoy your stay with us.

The Hotel Charsfield is a boutique hotel which is situated within a renovated heritage listed property and was originally designed as a private home. This means that our rooms are different sizes and shapes and are located throughout the building. We do not offer a “typical” hotel room, which we feel offers charm and personality, but this is not to everyone’s taste. I am sorry that you did not feel you could approach reception during your stay, it would have given us the opportunity to rectify the issues you have raised. We would have been able to investigate the noise you heard, as we are located along St Kilda Road, which is situated between two large parks I believe that the noises you heard were birds walking on the window ledge and roof. If you were unhappy with your room we would have happily moved you to another room more to your liking.

I apologise for there being out of date snacks in your room, and that you were charged for items which you did not consume. If you could kindly provide me with your contact details to res@charsfield.com, I will arrange a refund of these charges to you.

I am glad that you enjoyed the breakfast, in particular the coffee, and that you found the location of the hotel convenient.

I look forward to hearing back from you.

Palmerston North
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

Found this place on TripAdvisor as my wife and I wanted somewhere out of the CBD but still in a handy location after four nights at a work conference at the Hyatt on Collins street. The Hotel Charsfield fit the bill perfectly. Right from the first welcome by the extra friendly reception staff through to the charming features found around every corner (free shoe shine kit in the wooden-floored hallway, reading room, billiards room etc) it was great. Our Junior Suite was lovely with a large bedroom and even larger lounge with independant airconditioning, two sofas and a good sized desk.
Trams run from right outside with a 6 - 8 minute ride back into the central city. We walked to Chapel St shopping easily.
If you remember that this is a historic building converted to it's current use, and therefore expect a few design quirks, and don't need to be in the centre of things then Hotel Charsfield will provide an excellent value stay that will leave you charmed.

Room Tip: The Junior Suite is well worth the extra spend.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear D J,

Thank you for you wonderful review. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay in one of our Suites and found the location suitable for your needs.

Thank you for mentioning the extra friendly service you received especially during your arrival, I will sure to pass your comments onto them, they will be very happy to hear this.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel on your next trip to Melbourne.

Property Manager.
Paris, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

We stayed there 2 nights because a friend of us told us a lot of good things about this hotel. The room is very nice and the restaurant is excellent. We ate there every night. The only thing they can improve is the quality of service as they forgot our wake up call and give us wrong information about the shuttle bus for the airport. Anyway, this was not a big deal and Denise the general manager sent us a mail to apologize so we can still say that we had a very nice stay.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear JobiJobaa,

Thank you for your review, I am glad to hear that you had a wonderful stay.

I am pleased that you liked your room and found our restaurant excellent. I do apologise that your wake up call was forgotten and that you were misinformed about the shuttle bus, however appreciate you mentioning that the General Manager already sent you an email to apologise for this.

We hope that you have the opportunity to return in the near future, to experience our hotel and service again. We are continually training our staff to improve the quality of service and I am sure that you will not be disappointed.