“Stayed a few times now, not sure if staff need more training”

The Greenhouse Backpacker
Ranked #31 of 144 Specialty Lodging in Melbourne
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed December 3, 2013

I have stayed a few times here now, starting back in '04, '05, '07 and a few times since then. The staff at the beginning were great hence why I kept going back, however now days they seem to be very dismissive, this especially applies to the night staff. Also even if you make a request for a room with a window (which i did twice prior to arriving & had email confirmation that I was in a room with a window) don't expect to receive it. I can't be in small spaces without a way of looking outwards, however was place in an 8 bed dorm with just that on my last stay. The guy on didn't do anything about it and was very rude when I presented my email correspondence. The rooftop is great as is the kitchen, however the bathrooms are not very well kept. Its also a very expensive hostel, even with its great location.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Ghost_of_the_World
Jonathan L, Guest Relations Manager at The Greenhouse Backpacker, responded to this reviewResponded December 10, 2013

Hi Ghost of the World,
Sorry to hear you experienced a few issues on your recent stay with us. Can you please contact us at greenhouse@friendlygroup.com.au with a few more details so we can continue looking into his for you. Thank you.

There are newer reviews for The Greenhouse Backpacker

Reviewed November 9, 2013

I came here the night I got to Melbourne and the staff was really nice and helpful. The kitchen is great and I love the rooftop garden!
Still it is a pretty expensive price for dorms without ensuite.
The WiFi isn't that fast either so get up very very early if you want to have a good connection!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed November 2, 2013

Unfortunately I decided to stay in a 5 birth dorm and when I arrived it was like walking into a brothel their other peoples stuff was strewn all over the floor, and I had to step on dirty clothes just to get to my bed. The locker was broken. Every single time u have came down to get a drink no body has done their dishes so there haven't been any cups and when I went to ask the people at the counter for a cup they just said oh well people are drinking you can just wash their cup and I said ummm no that's their job and yours is to provide cups and they just stared back blankly at me. The place is disgustingly dirty. They offer free breakfast but if you have any dietary needs don't bother with it, they don't even supply light milk. The only good thing about the joint is it's location. Like honestly that's it, the place is a dump, expect nothing more. I can't wait to go home and I'm only 3 nights into my 6 night stay. Unfortunately I had to pay upfront otherwise I'd be checking out and finding something elsewhere. Avoid at all costs!!

• Stayed: November 2013
2  Thank Belzie8
Jonathan L, Public Relations Manager at The Greenhouse Backpacker, responded to this reviewResponded November 3, 2013

Hi Belzie8,
Sorry to hear you didn't enjoy your stay with us. Please understand that as a backpackers we provide shared accommodation and communal kitchen and dining areas and whilst we clean the kitchen and bathrooms four times a day, no backpacker hostel can promise spotless dorms and flawlessly clean kitchens 24 hours a day. Thanks for taking the time to leave your feedback and if you have any other questions please feel free to send us an e-mail.

Reviewed October 29, 2013

Arrived at 3am in the morning to be greeted by a dismissive receptionist.

Bathroom was really clean, rooms could have done with some newer features, but there was no real problem with what was provided. My room was right outside the bathroom so I could here people going in and out all morning.

Great location.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo

Hi Timmy,

Thanks for taking the time to leave your feedback.
I'm glad to say we are about to put brand new furniture into select rooms, so keep your eye on our website for more details.

Reviewed October 6, 2013

The hostel is located near to Federation Square & located at the busy CBD. Our flight from Sydney to Melbourne was delayed by 3 hours and scheduled to arrive past midnight. When we called to informed the reception, glad to find out the check in is before 3am. They were very friendly and direct us how to get to the hotel. We bought the return skybus ticket at airport AUD$28 per person. Took the bus to Southern Cross station, from the station we took the cab to Greenhouse which cost us AUD$10. We were given a room at level 4 near to entrance & toilet so it is quite noisy. We can hear people talking, going in & out of the toilet. If you prefer a much quite sleep, request for the room further from toilet & entrance. The room was just ok but we can't expect much as it is a budget stay. However, the kitchen & common area is quite dirty. Laundry is 24 hours. Washing time is about half an hour & dryer took 45 min. Even with 45 min of drying....my cloth still wet. U need to add additional coins if you want another 45min of drying time. Overall, it was just ok.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank IJayKay
Reviewed October 2, 2013

I stayed here during my visit to Melbourne. It's the sister hostel of the one in Cairns so thought I would like it also. It's located right in the city so there's access to public transportation everywhere. The police station is right underneath so I felt pretty safe as well.

Compared to the room in Cairns, it was pretty snug for six people. Also there were a few electric outlets in the room and non in the lockers they provided. It was very annoying when you wake up to find your cellphone was unplugged in the middle of the night by some one else.

The bathrooms are not in the rooms, but shared with the whole floor, just like in the college dorms. However in my three night stay there was never any problems waiting for a toilet or shower.

Breakfast was exactly the same as in Cairns. The kitchen was nicer and everyone had a cupboard to store their supplies. Just always remember to wash and dry your own dishes, they are very strict about cleaning up after yourself.

Front desk is also open 24 hours and they are very helpful when trying to book a tour. I recommend a tour of the Great Ocean Road.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank lamb1028
Reviewed September 29, 2013

The hostel is very big, very clear and good managed. Good location in the CBD next to Federation square.

The rooms are very quiet (in the 3rd, 4th and 5th floor), because windows are not viewing on the street .The common bathrooms are very clean and big.
Excellent rooftop to enjoy the sun and the hostel barbecues !!

Good stay for a very good price !

Don't miss the travel agency !!!! We went to Phillip Island, Sovereign Hill & Yarra Valley and spend 3 amazing days.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple