“A brilliant hostel in a great location”

The Greenhouse Backpacker
Ranked #31 of 134 Specialty Lodging in Melbourne
GreenLeadersGold level
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
“A brilliant hostel in a great location”
Reviewed August 30, 2012

Right by Federation Square and Flinders Street station, this hostel is perfectly located for going anywhere in Melbourne. As well as that, the facilities are great, with a spacious kitchen with plenty of storage space. I would definitely recommend this hostel, if not for it's excellent facilities, for it's wonderful people.

Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank Jill H

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Penang Island, Malaysia
Reviewed August 25, 2012 via mobile

Great and clean place, nice peoples around, friendly receptionists, large hanout area besdes kitchen, lobby services in-house, secured luggage storage area without charge, lift convenience for large heavy luggages, privacy dorm, free lockers.

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank PeaQubed
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 3, 2012

This is a really nice hostel in the middle of Melbourne. I stayed here twice when visiting Australia in July 2012. The hostel is in the middle of Melbourne, in gorgeous Finder’s Lane. There is a lovely little alley way with lovely cafés and restaurants close by. For a hostel, it’s surprisingly clean. There is free internet access, which is accessible only* on the 6th floor, where there is the kitchen, dining room, tv room, laundry, computers. There was a free walking tour, bingo night, free dinner night (with a Pasta AlFredo that was delicious), and the good ol’ Aussie pub crawl. There were even outings to the football! This is a great place for families. I brought my 75 year old mother, and she had a “glorious time”, chatting to “the younger people”. Whilst I was there, there were quite a few people who had their, somewhat, elderly parents in tow. There was also a young family, who brought along their two young daughters (toddler and a 5year old). It’s not what I would call a party hostel, but it isn’t boring. It’s just a lovely place to stay in the middle of Melbourne. There is a travel agency on the 6th floor, which were, really, very friendly. The free breakfast consists of cereal (cornflakes or rice pops), milk, and bread to toast (with a selection of butter, vegemite, peanut butter, or jam). There is also tea and coffee in the kitchen. The bathroom was clean, and if you showered when no one else was there, the water pressure was good. My only problem was I had a bed that squeaked - luckily I stayed long enough for it to be amusing rather than annoying.

*I was able to have wifi access on the 5th floor, and on occasion even on the 3rd.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank DrVetticus
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed August 3, 2012

Not very often that you find a hostel of this quality, in a prime location and this price! Arrived to a helpful check in desk where they wre able to place us in our room before check in time. Had a triple room which was great and meant didnt have other people coming in and out, though next time I would opt for a room with a window view. Noise was not much of an issue except for one night, but to be honest we probably woke a few people up after the pub crawl (THANKS EBONY!) :P . great veiws from the roof top, everywhere is spotless and very decent breakfast (encourages you to make the most of your day) .. the location is second to none..so glad I didn't opt for any of the outlying backpackers or worse...St. Kilda. If you are thinking of going to Melbourne on the cheap you can not do better than this...make sure you check out there weekly pub crawl (got messy!) and the mega walking tour (though dont challenge ebony's facts as she doesnt like it :P ) . 10/10!

Room Tip: Make sure you get a window room, inner rooms feel abit "boxy"
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 26, 2012

This was my first experience of a hostel. Well I was slightly shocked when I walked into the room. But I thoroughly enjoyed my stay there and met some lovely people, everyone there was friendly and it really was in the heart of Melbourne, it couldn't of been better location.

I stayed in a mixed 5 bed dorm. I was sharing with 4 males, 2 of them were 'long term residence' and had left all the stuff over what little floor was there (rooms are quite cramped). The rooms were fairly dark and dingey but that didnt matter as I didn't spend much time in there. My bed sheets were clean and folded and they had lockers. It was great having separate dim timer light, so you don't disturb those asleep by turning on the full main light.
The kitchen facilities were fairly good. I did have to squidge my food into the fridge. Some of the hobs didn't work. But whenever I went to cook there was always free space. And clean utensils.
The free breakfast in the morning is very basic, but still great as it is free. There is toast and cereal.

The activities organised had a great turn out, and everyone on the pub crawl was very welcoming and we had a great evening. The cinema room had huge sofas and you could book tv time. I was nice to be able to stay in for some evenings.
They have two computers free to use, which was great, and you rarely had to wait.
Overall it was not the best of hostels but I would stay there again, there is a friendly and welcoming atmosphere and I met some lovely people. The location is unbelievably good and the value for money outweighs all the negatives

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
Harrogate, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 2, 2012

We booked this hostel in advance, based on their Lonely Planet review and the good location. Unfortunately, it turned out to be the worst hostel we have ever stayed in, in Australia.

The room hadn't been cleaned when we were given the keys, despite it being well after the check in time. When the cleaners had been in, there was still hair in the 'clean' sheets. The double room was really dark, overlooking the generators in the courtyard and the furniture was a metal filing cabinet/cupboard and a desk. The bed was so squeaky and old that we couldn't even turn over without waking up.

The kitchen facilities were a joke, with some of the hob rings out of action, no oven or grill and only 2 microwaves. There was nowhere near enough fridge space, and there weren't any freezers either. There were no cups, so we were actually given the reception staffs' own mugs to use. The kitchen was such a state, with mucky work surfaces and water on the floor that we had to eat out. When we complained to the reception staff, they acknowledged that we had a very legitimate complaint and immediately offered us a refund, and to try and find us alternative accommodation (although it was quite late at this point).

We checked out the following day and made a formal complaint to the manager. To be fair, it was dealt with very professionally and not only did we receive a refund for the nights we hadn't stayed but had paid upfront, we were also refunded the first nights stay plus our credit card charges.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
, Public Relations Manager at The Greenhouse Backpacker, responded to this review, July 3, 2012
Hi Vicky,
Sorry to hear you did not enjoy your stay with us. I'm glad we were able to respond in a professional way.
Thanks for taking the time to leave a review.

Travelers are raving about these Melbourne hotels

Jakarta
Reviewed June 13, 2012

Location of this hotel is great, just a walk away from the famous Flinder's Street Station which is in the middle of the city. Stayed on the private room, which was quite nice. The only drawback was the top bunk was half the size of the lower bunk.

As for facilities, the hostel provide good internet and amazing cooking area! Definitely recommended for backpacker.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends