“The most appaling accomodation ever”

and 1 more site!
The Melbourne Connection
Ranked #120 of 136 Specialty Lodging in Melbourne
Kalgoorlie-Boulder, Australia
“The most appaling accomodation ever”
Reviewed March 28, 2010

Pros: Location, location and location

Cons:
Many bed bugs/ dustmite...one way or another, I woke up with many bites mark around my body, still very itchy after few days now.

Very dirty, no windows can be opened, no airflow in the room, room is not sealed, very thin walls and not sealed, extremely noisy up to 3 - 4 am. No

This establishment is good only to be buldozed.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank GTBoi

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Melbourne
Reviewed February 12, 2010

I chose the Melbourne Connection Travellers Hostel as it was only 5 min walking distance from the bus to the airport. But that was the only good thing about the hostel.

The hostel was described as friendly, comfortable, easy-going, less chaotic than other hostels and with common areas in good nick.

But this was not my impression.

Friendly? Yes, towards the girls! The receptionist did not bother to stop his friendly, not work related chat to two girls while I was waiting to be served.

Easy-going? I arrived at the reception not knowing that I would have to have $20 cash on me for a key deposit. Nothing was mentioned when I booked online. And I happen to have no cash on me. Although I already paid for my room I was not considered reliable enough to forgo the deposit and I had to walk out on the street again to find an atm to get cash.

Friendly? The receptionist did not bother to stop folding sport jerseys while I was waiting to be served.

Common areas in good nick? May be the lockers yes, but that was mainly because they were so small that it was not worth to use them. There were four toilet/shower cubicles: two without toilet paper, one with flooded floor and only one really useable. But at least the mattress was in good nick.

Not chaotic? I have never seen a more chaotic looking kitchen than that one. But at least it did not bother me as I did not intend to use it.

Comfortable? Not when the weather is hot! Arriving in the room early that evening I noticed that there was air-conditioning. But unfortunately, it is turned off during the night so you can better hear the people in the corridor coming home during the night. Thus the room ended up to be even hotter than my bedroom at home without air-conditioner or fan.

All in all it felt like the worst hostel I have been to worldwide.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank GoldmundMelbourne

Travelers are raving about these Melbourne hotels

Tucson
Reviewed September 24, 2009

I've stayed at more than 20 hostels worldwide, and The Melbourne Connection was atrocious. Other than a nice location, this hostel was nothing but hostile.
Plus, there are better hostels across the street and next door.
But let's discuss why The Melbourne Connection is so vile. First, the bathrooms were filthy. Strands of hair were everywhere, and there wasn't even hand soap to wash your hands. Toilet paper was sometimes refilled; sometimes not. Even though signs were posted proclaiming a drought and low water levels in Melbourne, most of the faucets constantly dripped.
We found out that the bunk beds were unclean, too, when my friend and I received numerous bedbug bites all over our legs and arms. P.S. The bites remain for weeks.
Sleeping was almost impossible, with the noise level at unbearable levels. We stayed at Melbourne Connection five nights, and music, guitars, screaming and televisions often were blaring until 5:30 a.m. The rules stated that quiet hours were to be followed starting at midnight, but no one enforced the rules.
Pleas to the night staff and the front desk were met with sympathy, yet nothing was actually done. The two "night staff" guys have their own rooms, so allegedly they're there to make sure the rules are followed. Yet it was up to us to "knock loudly" on their doors (starting at 8 or 8:30 p.m.) if there are problems. One of the staffers told us to "go tell the loud group that Mike wants them to be quiet." I'm sorry, but I don't get paid to do his job, yet he didn't do it either until we insisted.
The whole experience didn't feel safe - not because of the location but because of the people staying there.
If you want to live with apes, go to Melbourne Connection. If you want civility and some semblance of peace, avoid Melbourne Connection like the plague.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends
2 Thank Vandra
Johor Bahru, Malaysia
Reviewed May 10, 2009

Located at the centre of the Melbourne city. Close to Southen Cross Station.
Great location of the hostel but at night a little noisy down the street.
For a quite night stay, avoid it.

• Stayed October 2008, traveled with friends
melbourne
Reviewed April 22, 2009

This has to be the best ive stayed in so far. Its pretty tidy but humble. The best thing is the vibe within the hostel, between travellers is a real party family one. Its a community. Its smaller than most hostels ivs stayed in before and feels quite intimate with more privacy than i used to. The location is second to none and is really hard to beat. The staff were really freindly and very helpfull. I would definately recomend this hostel to anyone who wants brilliant central melbourne location, with there own piece of the city to along with it.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled solo
scotland
Reviewed April 4, 2009

If you're looking for a night's sleep, this is NOT the place for you! Stayed there last weekend and the noise from the club across the road kept me up all night on the Saturday. On the Sunday it was much quieter except for some clown who played his guitar whilst sitting outside at 2am! The staff were sympathetic but unable/unwilling to do much to address the situation.

Bathrooms were not particularly clean either. I have stayed in lots of hostels and so am used to basic facilities but this is not a well maintained hostel. In addition, they charged a lot because it was the Grand Prix weekend in Melbourne which I have never known in hostels before.

I would definitely not recommend this hostel to anyone unless excessive noise is an essential part of their holiday!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled solo
New Zealand
Reviewed December 2, 2008

Our experience does not match earlier reviews.
Staff are friendly and very helpful but the cleanliness of the place has alot to be desired.
Showers had no curtain around, which meant water sprayed over the toilet and dressing area. The mop and bucket were so filthy and full of hair and what?? I had to change the water in bucket three times to clean? the mop before I could wash the floor and then use the shower.
Just to use the toilet meant wiping down the toilet and wiping the toilet area before use.
The inside bedroom door was filthy!
The sheets on the bed were stained. We slept on top of doona cover with our sleeping bag on top.
The laundry was dirty with dirty clothes lying about.
The kitchen tea towels were dark brown dirty.
I have been a motel cleaner myself and am appalled.
The photo's in advertising is nothing like what it is believe me.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Cleanliness
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)