See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed June 23, 2014

The rooms and showers are so good! The sapce to hang out with friends excellent and the reception extremely hospitable. I was travel with a friend, as you have never been in Melbourne before, you stayed at the hostel at night and we had a great time there!

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 22, 2014

I have always had very good experiences at Hotel Discovery. I first satyed there in 2004 with my older son, his forst trip to Melbourne. My dad came from Fitzroy and was orphaned at eight years old. This means we have family in Melbourn spread over several suburbs and because we prefer to do our own thing with exploring it is nice to call Hotel Discovery home for the time there. We can leave when we like and return at any time of the day, or night knowing our belongings are safe. I liked the fact a free breakfast of toast or cereals as you prefer, are available every morning with tea or coffee. The team were very helpful with arranging a shuttle back to the airport for our departure, although you can order a cooked meal at the on site cafe if you prefer this before a day travelling the markets. Queen Victoria Markets are our favourite and we spend a lot of time looking for bargains. It was great to see the new lifts, they were pretty tired on my last trip, very smooth. This was my fifth visit over the years, I plan to call in again in the future

Room Tip: You can choose a room ?
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Jim T
Reviewed June 16, 2014

The showers were good. We froze as the heater in our room didn't work-staff fixed this. minimal blankets-managed to get more. Cockroaches in the kitchen and the dish washing system is a health issue. The bunks didn't have a ladder and the noise from the construction site next door was unbearable 18 hours a day.

• Stayed: May 2014
2  Thank Elizabeth B
GenMngr, General Manager at Discovery Melbourne, responded to this reviewResponded June 17, 2014

Hi Elizabeth and thank you for your review. I am not happy that you have not enjoyed your stay with us. More doonas are always avalaible from Reception if only you had asked if it was so cold. The heating situation is unusaul as most of our guests find the heating int he rooms perfectly adequate. Having a hostel the size of ours we do from time to time have issues with pests such as roaches however this is managed weekly and daily to irradicate the issue and the few you would have seen would be ones that have come out and would be dead within a few hours from the posions laid and also the weekly pest bombs that are setoff during the night. I am not sure why you think the Kitchen is a hygiene issue - All dishes are washed in Hot water and also put thru our industrial dishwashers each day. We also are inspected on a monthly and quarterly basis from the health department and pass with flying colours each time. I hope the rest of your time in Melbourne was enjoyable and I do hope you will give us another go.

Reviewed June 16, 2014

If you are not fussy about room fittings, this is your best best. Simple no frills double bed room with one chair and a steel rack and heater. Shared bath is really clean, staff are really friendly and surprisingly rice and spaghetti is free of charge. Lots of activities organised but we did not join, way too tired. Great simpler breakfast for the price we paid, just enough to fill you up. Location wise, extremely close Queen Victoria market. Highly recommended!

Room Tip: Choose a room close to the shared bath but not too close, a few doors away would be good. Shared bath is at one end for female and the other end of male. If you don't mind the walk, it's all ok.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Jennifer_Lam
Reviewed June 15, 2014

Quiet big place, so it's good for who are looking for meet people. The room and the bathroom were clean, even those the kitchen can get a little bit messy. But that's ok considering the number of people using at the same time.

• Stayed: May 2014