“Just like any other backpackers ”

Discovery Melbourne
Ranked #111 of 145 Specialty Lodging in Melbourne
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed March 12, 2014 via mobile

Other than the location of this place (virtually across the road from Vic Markets) it is just like any other backpackers I've stayed at. They did have a rooftop laser skirmish on when I was there, so that's pretty cool.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
There are newer reviews for Discovery Melbourne

Reviewed March 12, 2014

Stayed here in a 10 bed dorm for a week. Very large hostel with good facilities, everything you need really. Very clean, electronic key cards, comfortable beds. Only a few bad points, not enough toilets on my floor - only 2 toilets and no urinals, yet 8 showers. Also it was next to a construction site and very noisy from 6am. Apart from this would recommend the hostel and stay again.

• Stayed: February 2014
Reviewed March 11, 2014

I loved the free tours, free breakfast is always good and the toilets were always very clean. The reception crew were very kind but did not like the rooms that much, missed windows and ventilation.
But would stay again.

• Stayed: February 2014
Reviewed March 9, 2014

The chicken which was served to me was raw and I could see the blood, and also a group of people tried to break into my room. The chicken which was served to me was raw and I could see the blood, and also a group of people tried to break into my room.

Room Tip: Book the expensive rooms here, not the cheap ones
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Bobby J
Reviewed March 9, 2014

I was staying in Discovery for 4 nights. It is a ver big hostel for about 700 hundred people and gets even more crowded at night. The facilities were not bad, however it was struggle to cook a dinner there. The kitchen was crowded and there wasn't enough potts and frying pans, so I had to wait for each of them for about 20 minutes. I do not wonder because people tempt to steel things in this hostel. I had some food stole from the fridge and other people have similiar experience, somebody had even the whole bag with food stolen for about 3 or 4 times. So I suggest you to buy a lock for your food. The good thing about this hostel is that they make a lot of fun activities every day, which are free. The provide bus shuttles to the beach or Victoria markets, organise movie nights and various stuff. I prefer a smaller place with less people, but for those who would like to party all night this is a good place. Otherwise it was reasonably clean with no bed bugs :)

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed February 23, 2014

I stayed at this hostel for 3 nights for the Eminem concert. The rooms were reasonable priced.
Unfortunately we arrived early and couldnt check in until 2pm, we checked in at 230pm to find our rooms werent made up.
Fortunately one of the staff member sorted out some drink vouchers for us.
Highlights were the rooftop area, where you could drink,and sometimes a few of the guests brought up some dj equipment and play some tunes. its a shame you couldnt stay up there later on some nights. the basement bar had plenty of stuff on, karaoke, happy hour.
and most of the people were generally friendly..

just as a suggestion, maybe it would be a good idea if they had a singles night or speed dating night, which might help people mingle a bit more, with discounted drinks if they partake in it.

The free shuttle bus tours were good as well, So the activities were great.

I would stay at the this hostel again quite happily.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 18, 2014

I stay weeks past, We travel with friends, but not allowed same room. Girl who give us room very rude she speak to us like small man. We have many issues but felt scared to ask cause felt like we cause problems. She aggressive to me. Hostel very big , but cleaners very cleaning, I like kitchen and the cinema. I was bad and list my card but boy at desk help me. I like the two boys with strange Australian accents, think one called Jandro and other Um they help me and tell me to eat place

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends