“A good base in Melbourne”

Ranked #70 of 159 Hotels in Melbourne
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“A good base in Melbourne”
Reviewed January 31, 2011

This is one of the smaller Mantra studio apartments in the middle of Melbourne City Centre close to the business district, shopping and restaurants. The hotel is within walking distance to Collins and Bourke Streets, one of the main shopping and eating precincts in the city, with Chinatown nearby as well. An attraction for sport fans is that the Mantra is an easy 5 minute stroll to the Rod Laver Arena and Melbourne Cricket Grounds for tennis and cricket. Coffee bars and cafes abound around the hotel, some even open for a lazy Sunday brunch.

Our stay was part of a sports holiday package associated with the Australian Open late in January this year. This was our second stay at the Mantra, mainly for its location and also the requirement for space with two teenage kids in tow. Our two bedroom apartment was comfortable and clean, with a good functioning kitchen, and invaluable laundry facilities! Rooms are serviced daily with no extra charges.

I was a bit apprehensive at first being on the first floor as the master bedroom and living area overlooked the street but surprisingly, noise levels were not annoying - even during weekdays. The only drawback with the Mantra is that Internet access is by cable in the rooms and charge rates were expensive. This is rather disappointing with the prevalence of wifi and cheap Internet these days. Definitely room for improvement here. There is however, a McDonald's outlet around the corner offering wifi for those in need.

All in all, this is a well run 3 star establishment offering good value for money. There is no pool or restaurant on the premises but staff are friendly and helpful which count towards a positive experience.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank XmasKid
Mantra100, General Manager at Mantra 100 Exhibition, responded to this review, July 6, 2011
Dear XmasKid

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay with us. Your comments in regard to internet access were of particular interest. We acknowledge that cable internet has its draws backs and as such we are in the final stages of working on a wireless solution that we know will enhance our guest’s internet experience. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay and found us to be a good base for your time in Melbourne.

Mantra 100 Exhibition

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 17, 2011

Generally a very good stay at the Mantra 100 with one reservation. We were given a room on the second floor adjacent to the music venue next door, the noise from the venue was far too loud and lasted well into the early hours. The next day the desk staff moved us to the seventh floor away from the din. We were impressed with the concern shown and the swift action taken.

The mantra exhibition is superbly placed for the MCG and for getting around central Melbourne.

Beecon

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank beecon
Dear Beecon,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay. We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to welcoming you back again soon”.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed January 12, 2011

This was definitely the worst place I have ever stayed in. I booked for five people but my booking was changed to one person the day before we were due to check-in. I had to phone Mantra Reservations twice to have it fixed up. Upon checking-in, the receptionist advised me that they had a new computer system and she hadn't entered something correctly which resulted in me receiving an email that my booking was for one person and that I had paid less than what I actually had. This did not bother me until she carried on about a Mantra Reservations representative who apparently phoned her (after I had phoned them) and was "abusing" her over the phone for messing up my booking.

The elevators were slow and were not air conditioned. The hallways were always humid and were not air conditioned either. Every day the hallways were filled with dirty towels that didn’t move for hours.

When we were in our room it had only been set for four people (four towels, four sets of cutlery etc). I had to phone reception to ask for our room to be supplied with amenities for the fifth person. Later in the evening, my friend who was sleeping on the fold out realised she did not have any pillows. I checked the cupboards for spares but there were none. I phoned reception for the second time and advised that there were no spare pillows for the fifth person. The receptionist was argumentative with me and refused to listen that I had already checked the cupboards for spares and just carried on that the bed was already made up. I eventually just said I will check the cupboards again and hung up. Of course, there were no spare pillows so I phoned back and advised him again we did not have enough pillows for the fifth person and he said he would send some up.

The room was absolutely putrid. There was a massive pile of dirty tissues under the main bed which appeared to have just been brushed under there. The microwave had so much splattered food on it that it smelt. The second bedroom only had an odd window into lounge room which had caked on dust. There was food on the cook top. There was food on the cutlery and crockery. The freezer did not work properly. The windows looking out onto the street were covered in grime. The room had not been vacuumed. The toilet groaned for about two minutes every time it was flushed. The shower was covered in mould and scum. The chips in the mini-bar were three months out of date. There were splatters on the wall which came off quite easily with a cloth. Each day, instead of placing it on the back of the doorhandle, the housekeeping staff merely left the “Please service my room” sign on the floor. The bathroom exhaust fan did not work. The fold out lounge had a massive dip in it and creaked at the slightest movement.

The lounge was worn and had holes in it. The pillows were the most uncomfortable things that I’ve ever slept on. The TV was outdated. The remote for the TV had bite marks all over it.

The second day we weren’t provided with towels for the fifth person yet again so I had to phone again. I also complained about the state of the room and reception advised they would have the room re-serviced and I asked them to especially clean the microwave out. My friend stayed in the room while it was re-serviced and the only thing that was done was the vacuuming. I cleaned the cook top, splatters on the wall and dust on the second bedroom “window” myself. We just didn’t touch the microwave. We had to phone for a towel for the fifth person three out of five days that we stayed there. The only reason that isn’t four out of five days was because on the third day we had to ring twice for towels because they took so long to bring the towels and ended up bringing the towels twice.

Overall, very disappointed with this hotel considering it is part of the Mantra chain (a brand I once trusted) and supposedly four star. Would not recommend to anyone.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank skcarroll
Dear Skcarroll,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay. I regret the shortcomings you experienced and I apologise for these. I appreciate the time you spent talking to me on the telephone and allowing me to work through these issues so improvements can be made. We do hope you stay with us again and allow us the opportunity to redeem ourselves

Mantra 100 Exhibition.
Guam
Reviewed December 12, 2010

The location is great!! Easy access to trams, theatres, parks, shopping, and great restaurants (one block away from Flinders Street and 2 blocks from Little Bourke where all the awesome restaurants are located)! Close to bank for easy ATM access. Room size is comfortable. Well equipped kitchenette, clean, spacious but the housekeeper sometimes only put 1 hand towel and 1 face towel instead of 2 as is standard in most hotels. I would recommend an extra air conditioner for the bedroom (since it is a separate room) although the living room/kitchenette air conditioner gets pretty cold but you have to keep the bedroom door open if you want your bedroom to get cool. I would also recommend an extra television for the bedroom itself. I have stayed at other Mantra locations and while this wasn't as nicely decorated, the price was very reasonable.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Woodland Hills, CA
Reviewed November 26, 2010

The huge one-bedroom apartment was a decent value but a little odd. We didn't have any kind of a view (just across the alley to a brick wall). TV was old. The bedroom was a cordoned off area in the interior with no window of its own. They gave us two big towels and one hand towel for two people, so we had to ask for more, and those additional towels didn't reappear for the rest of the stay. One bar of soap for sink and shower, so we had to grab another.

Wired Internet was $25/day but it was fast enough (that cost is typical from what I've heard). You can get free WiFi at the McDonald's around the corner but it's sloooooowwww, but there are other places nearby. (Try breakfast at the Reserve Bank of Australia ground level cafe - delicious and with free wifi, right next door!)

As others have said, it wasn't the cleanest place, but the staff was friendly. And the in-building parking elevator (for the car) broke during our stay, and the guy fixing it was seriously injured doing so. We ended up parking down the road at a higher cost.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed August 27, 2010

Stayed only 1 night as my friend and I had function to go to.
Check in was smooth although a little slow due to training of a new staff member. It didn't bother me though.
The room was very clean, very modern. I was extremely impressed with the presentation.
There were quite a few things I was NOT HAPPY with.
Do NOT stay in Room 110. It overlooks Exhibition St and is only on the 1st level. There are nightclubs and pubs 30 seconds walk away. Hardly got any sleep due to the yelling and screaming going on ALL night.
We required the sofa bed. It was made up with only a sheet and blanket to keep you warm. There was an extra blanket in the wardrobe but not enough to keep you warm as the sofa bed is right near the window and there was a terrible draught coming in through the windows, even though they were closed.
When laying on the sofa bed there was a terrible slant to the bed in which your feet were a lot higher than your head. We ended up having to put the mattress on the floor. Why should we have been charged $40 to use the sofa bed when my friend slept on the floor.
The heating was extremely noisy and couldn't leave it on over night.
There was a small fridge in the room, but if you wanted to use the freezer you couldn't as the right wall part of the freezer had so much ice in it, it took up half the freezer. the ice cube tray was frozen into this ice and you couldn't even take it out.
Upon checkout, we were not even asked how our stay was. All I was asked for was an extra $40 for the sofa bed. I was so tired, I couldn't even argue with them. Nor did I get a receipt.
Also, a warning about the internet. You are charged at .55cents per minute. But kindly they put a cap on it at $27.50 per day OUCH!!!!
Maybe if we had stayed in a different room away from the main street my opinion of the hotel would have been better.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed August 22, 2010

Stayed at Mantra Exhibition for business. Easy to walking distance from Swanston St(5-10 mins) - or catch a tram up Collins Street. Decided last minute to go to the theatre - again very close and within walking distance. Felt safe to walk on own at night. Very clean. Got a good deal - check their website.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business