“Don't stay Saturday night”

Mantra 100 Exhibition
Ranked #65 of 158 Hotels in Melbourne
Victoria
“Don't stay Saturday night”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2009

We stay there on a Saturday night in a room overlooking a laneway. There is an Irish Pub Birdie O'Reillys at the end of the laneway which is open until 6am there are people using the laneway as a toilet, to fight, to do lines of cocaine and most of all to shout at each other all night long, its a fasinating insight into the night life of Melbourne but if you want to sleep stay somewhere else. The room may have been OK if the soundproofing was effective which it was not. Parking is inconvient, best stay elsewhere if you have a car

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Carolyn&Lindsay

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Central Coast, NSW
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2009

Were upgraded from a one bedroom to two bedroom apartment so that was nice, a bit more space. Was quite shocked to open the curtains however and be staring right into an office building! Friendly staff, good location, clean apartment, basic in terms of facilities but was suited to our stay. Would stay there again.

• Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank diva_sparkles
Melbourne
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2009

I booked accommodation online through Mantra's website and thought I was booking a 2 bedroom apartment with 2 bathrooms. Apparently none of the 2 bedroom apartments even have 2 bathrooms. The view from our room was very disappointing and for the price, we expected much more. The sofa in the lounge was very worn and dirty. The floors were dirty as well (particularly behind doors etc.)

One bathroom for 4 adults just didn't work for us at all.

On a positive note, staff were very friendly.

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — The cost - overpriced
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank marnso
Bristol
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2009

We stayed here as guests and so only picked up the bill for incidentals.

The apartments are located at the top end of the city and some of them overlook Exhibition Street as ours did and some Little Collins Street. There was quite a lot of street noise although the windows were double glazed and the views were terrific especially of the city at night. Some other guests were not so lucky and got rooms overlooking Little Collins Street with noisy bars open until the wee hours.

There was an internet terminal in the lobby at a reasonable fee and the overall location was excellent. However there is no car parking on site and an arrangement with a car park around the corner in Little Collins Street set us back $20 per 24 hours or part thereof!

The only thing which really annoyed us was the standard of the housekeeping. There was dust an inch thick behing the doors and we had to keep reminding them to top up the toilet paper although they still topped up the complimentary tea and coffee. In spite of several reminders, we still only had three non matching spoons at the end of our week's stay instead of 4.

The other problem arose when I came to settle the bill. THis was only for incidentals and came to under $200. The reception credit card machine refused to accept both my overseas Visa credit and debit cards and I had to pop next door to draw cash from the atm (no problems there)!

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — The poor room service
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank lamplighter13
Brisbane, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2008

I have stayed at this hotel several times both as a Pacific International and now as a Mantra hotel. As far as I am concerned the only thing going for it is the proximity to my office (ie right next door). However, in spite of that proximity I choose to stay elsewhere (mostly Rydges up the road) and that is largely due to the beds! I see a few reviewers have stated that the beds at the Mantra are "comfy" - well sorry not to me. I like soft beds and I am very fussy about the pillows. At the Mantra the beds are pretty firm and the pillows are just awful (I know one reviewer said you could choose different pillows but that must have been in another lifetime). The other thing I dislike about the Mantra is that I have yet to get one of the rooms that everyone else rages about ie one on a high floor and with nice views/windows etc. I seem to always get a lower floor despite constantly asking for a higher floor and then I cannot sleep due to street noise. Once and once only I got a room that overlooked a laneway instead of the street - not much of a view but at least it was quieter except when the Friday night drunks had a bit of a carouse! The bedroom has no windows - which is a plus for me as I hate noise - but this can be claustrophic for some people, Some rooms also have this weird "walk up/down the stairs" arrangement where to get to the bathroom you have to walk out the bedroom and around the corner and then go up some stairs and for a frequent night time bathroom user this is a bit of a minus. The main thing that keeps me away from this hotel are the beds and pillows so unless they change for the better that I doubt I will stay here again.

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — The beds and pillows
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
3 Thank BrisCaz
Newcastle
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2008

I had stayed at the mantra on the park last year, and was extremely impressed with the service, however i accidently booked the mantra on exhibition thinking it was the same property, however I was pleasently surprised by my booking accident! I booked thisplace using my gold entertainment card, which i recieved 50% off the rack rate, so the price was first to impress.
This place is great! The service is fantastic, warm, laid back, and professional, staff are always eager to assist. Great location, right near my favourite Italian restaurant Pelligrini's*, and close to all trams, trains, bars, cafe's and restaurants only a short stroll away. The hotel is right near a couple of really busy bars..but this was no problem at all because the rooms are extremely quiet! The design of the room is contemporary and spacious and our room had views of the city from floor to ceiling windows! The bathroom products provided were also fantastic, and added to the quality of the hotel. Rooms were extremely clean and serviced promptly. Bedding was comfortable and there is also a sofa bed in the lounge area which is great if you have an extra person, child, or just want another bed overlooking the beautiful city of melbourne..thank you Mantra for a great stay! I'll definately be returning.

Stayed August 2008
4 Thank NewcastleAlly
Wickham, West Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2008

I chose this hotel to stay at with my family after reading TA reviews. The experience was ok. The 1 bed apartment was fine- big enough and we did have plenty of windows. The bathroom is not great- the shower nozzle sprayed in various directions and the pressure was minimal. The fold out couch for the kids was made up upside down so the steel rungs were poking into them until we realized and remade it the right way up. Also when we requested more blankets there were none to be had. We were only given 3 towels for 4 of us. It was a good set-up for our young children though as they had a tv and we had one in our room too. This was handy for some down time in the evenings and to keep them quiet in the morning. Having a washer/ dryer in the kitchen was very handy. Reception staff were ok- although our booking was meant to include a free breakfast box and drink vouchers and this wasn't included. All in all ,it was just ok. I will try another property next time.

• Liked — The apartment set-up was good with young kids.
  • Disliked — Shower.
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family