Mantra 100 Exhibition
  • Room Service
Quest on Bourke(Melbourne)
The Hotel Windsor(Melbourne)
1,263 results
All reviewsgreat locationbedroom apartmentwashing machineliving areatop endstay there againreception staffgood sizestreet noisecentral locationbusiness tripshort staycollins streeteasy walkfederation squarestayed nightscomfy bed
FilterAll languages
Reviewed January 25, 2008

Our family of 2 adults and 3 young children stayed here for 3 nights in a 2 br apartment during the Australian Open Tennis. We booked about 10 days ahead and secured a room for $309/night, the hotel matching an advertised internet rate.
The location is great for the tennis, about 10 min. walk at max. Chinatown, trams, Bourke Street Mall, Federation Square all an easy walk.
On the PLUS SIDE of the apartments themselves, they were quite roomy,clean,secure. We had 2 queen beds(both comfy) and a fold-out sofa plus kitchenette,washing machine/dryer combined,2 small tv's and plenty of hangers and cupboard space.You get a choice of 5 different type of pillow!
On the DOWNSIDE, the apartments are converted office space and lack character,despite the odd picture and occasional attempt at decor. I kept saying, "I feel like I'm sleeping at the office"(not that I ever have!). The corridors are narrow and despite there being 10 floors, lifts only go to the 9th. Needless to say, we were on the 10th floor and had to take the stairs the final floor.The corridors were not air conditioned and the 1 air conditioner in the living room of our apartment struggled to keep us cool. The garbage trucks at the rear of the building woke us each morning at 4.30a.m(ask for a room facing the street instead)......plus,you need a degree to operate the dryer component of the washer/dryer. Only 1 toilet/bathroom for 5 people also had its shortcomings.
Would I stay here again? Possibly, especially for the tennis due to the easy walk. I was a little disappointed in the whole building's ambience but service overall was good, the price was fair and it was clean. Happy travels!!

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled with family
4  Thank PattieG
Reviewed January 2, 2008

My other half and I spent four nights at this hotel in August and while it was perfectly nice, we felt that the building and staff were a little clinical and sterile, making us feel one of a million visitors, rather than one in a million! We were probably spoiled having just left the most friendly accomodation ever in Cairns but still, the staff were functional but not really friendly. The room was clean and tidy but not especially comfortable or welcoming.

Good points: nice comfortable bed, lovely big windows so plenty of light and a decent enough view. Room service (from an outside catering company) was brilliant, delicious food and very good value. I'd highly recommend this.

Bad points: clinical staff, minimalist style decor, no bath plug (despite asking for one every day for four days) and badly designed shower/bath combo leading to wet floor. Also the location of the hotel, while handy for Flinders Station etc was a bit isolated, especially in the evening when we found we had to walk quite a distance to get something to eat.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Numptyheid
Reviewed October 30, 2007

I had just returned from a week's stay at Melbourne. I booked in to Pacific Intl on Exhibition for its proximity to CBD and Chinatown.

I was travelling with a big group of 10 pax, which included old folks and young kids (all 3 generations!) and had booked 2 2-bedroom apartments, plus it was crucial to get both the rooms situation as close as possible to each other.

I was lucky because the hotel obliged and gave us the rooms on the same floor and opposite each other. So we just left the rooms open and the kids can run between each of the rooms.

We had requested for extra towels prior to check in which was there when we checked in. The toiletries when we checked in was not enough for everyone, and when I told the check-in counter about it and just gave my room number, they even delivered it to the other room!

The quality of the beds were not bad, and we had a kitchen to work with. The sofa a bit worn, but it was still functional as a sofa bed. And the staff was nice enough to provide additional sheets for the sofa bed.

On the downside, the design of the toilets especially the bath was less than optimal as there was no shower door and just a glass pane which also meant a lot of splashing water during the shower and subsequently a wet floor.

The bathtub could also use some non-slip stickies as my parents plus kids were slipping and sliding on the bath tube, which was fun for the kids but not so for the old fogies.

Then there was the carpark. Pitifully small, and I had a hard time parking my tarago MPV. The ride down the car elevator was fun, but I had a hard time looking for the key slot on the road.

And it's proximity was lovely. A quick stroll to Chinatown for yum cha, and also lots of restaurants and shopping near by.

Loved it, and will be back the next time if we go visiting melbourne again, provided they keep up their standards.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled with family
3  Thank k.lo44w
Reviewed October 17, 2007

I stayed at the Pacific International for one night while travelling on business. After spending much longer stints in 'cosy' hotel rooms this place was a welcome relief. I stayed in a one bedroom apartment on the first floor facing Exhibition St. The apartment was HUGE. The living area could be closed off from the bedroom and the bathroom was separated by a hallway. The kitchen was well equipped and all the amenities were comfortable. The apartment had really big opening windows which makes a nice change from constant A/C. Despite being on the first floor I heard no traffic noise. The location is brilliant... close walking distance to Flinders St train station, Federation Square, shopping, Southbank etc etc... I will definitely be staying here next time I'm in Melbourne.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled on business
2  Thank BubG
Reviewed October 3, 2007

My husband and I did a three week tour of Australia and stayed at the apartments for a week, while visiting Melbourne.

Our room was on the fourth floor and looking out of the back of the building on to office blocks. This isn't the place to stay if you want a great view, but if you want to be conveniently located to all attractions and want clean, comfortable accommodation then book now.

The apartment was a great size. The kitchenette was fully equipped with a washing machine, fridge, microwave/oven, toaster, kettle etc. It was very handy to be able to cook some nights, instead of going out. The lounge had a TV, dining table and chairs, small sofa and an armchair. The bed was firm but very comfortable and you didn't get the impression that loads of others had slept on it before you.

The apartment was serviced every day with new towels etc, and they even did our washing up, which was excellent. Only one small dig was that the floor didn't appear to be vacuumed often when we were there. Also there was one day when we weren't left towels but we called to the front desk and what seemed like seconds later towels arrived, so no problems there.

We found we were able to walk to most attractions from where we were and if we wanted to go further afield there was a free tourist shuttle stop just up the road which would take you around the city. A little further away there was a free tram stop too, which took a slightly different route to the bus. Very handy. There were leaflets with load of information in the foyer to the Pacific and the reception staff were always very helpful if we needed some advice.

Would definately recommend going to the Rialto Tower for the most amazing views of the city. Also southbank by the river is the best place for eating out and drinking, as there is lots of choice and great views of the city by night. I wouldn't recommend the river cruises. It was the biggest waste of money. It is very short with little commentary of what you are looking at on the banks - big disappointment.

I would definately use this accommodation again and would recommend it to anyone who is travelling on a budget but doesn't want to stay in youth hostels.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple