I've just returned home after three nights here on a work trip. I was able to take advantage of the 'stay 3 nights, pay for 2' offer, so value was great.
As plenty of others have mentioned, the whole place is a little tired. Externally, the signage isn't great, so it can be hard to spot from the street.
Check in was quick and easy, so no complaints there.
The room was fine, if a little dated. Being there to work though, I really didn't spend a lot of time in it, so not a big deal. The bed wasn't all that flash - it definitely felt old. But I was tired enough that sleep wasn't a big drama - even though I was on the 4th floor facing Elizabeth Street, I didn't notice the noise that others have mentioned.
Breakfast was a different matter though. Perhaps my expectations were out of whack, but it's the only place I've ever stayed where it was continental only. I'd chosen to add three breakfasts to my booking when I made it, assuming the $15/breakfast price was a cheaper offer for booking ahead - no mention of it being continental only at that time either. I have to say though, that when I checked out I was only charged the one that I did have, so it seems that choosing the breakfast extra is a bit of a waste of time, given it's the same price in the hotel.
Probably the best way to describe it is that the breakfast room, and the choices available in it, are about as tired as the rest of the hotel. Filter coffee only, a domestic coffee machine that does black coffee only, and juice jugs that only had enough juice for a couple of cups, despite being the only person in the place...it was all a bit sad.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Somerset on Elizabeth Melbourne is located in the heart of the city's central business district with a labyrinth of lane-ways, restaurants and shopping precincts only moments away. Positioned perfectly for both the business and leisure traveller, Somerset on Elizabeth offers the convenience of location and contemporary living, fused with the highlights of Melbourne's food, arts and entertainment culture. The modern serviced apartments offer 135 spacious one and two-bedrooms, each with separate living and dining areas, fully-equipped kitchens and modern amenities. The property also features a 24-hour reception, business centre services, complimentary wireless broadband internet and a meeting room; as well as a fully-equipped gym, jet pool, sauna and outdoor courtyard. It is easy to enjoy all that Melbourne has to offer when staying at Somerset on Elizabeth, with easy access to transport, sporting grounds, and theatres. As well as being ideally located within walking distance to Emporium Melbourne, the Strand Arcade, H&M as well as popular shopping precincts Bourke Street Mall and Melbourne Central. Somerset on Elizabeth is the gateway to experiencing Melbourne's famous precincts and ever-changing culture. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Agoda, Priceline, DerbySoft Ltd Shanghai HQ, HotelTravel.com, Cheap Tickets and Odigeo so you can book your Somerset on Elizabeth, Melbourne reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Somerset On Elizabeth, Melbourne Hotel Melbourne
- Somerset On Elizabeth Hotel Melbourne