“Smallish apartment in Melbourne with a FANTASTIC location”

Somerset on Elizabeth, Melbourne
Ranked #42 of 159 Hotels in Melbourne
Sydney, Australia
“Smallish apartment in Melbourne with a FANTASTIC location”
Reviewed May 19, 2012

We stayed in Melbourne for a party in the city and wanted a 2 bedroom apartment right smack bang in the middle of things - and that is exactly what we got! The location is so great, right next to Melbourne Central shopping centre, and two blocks from Bourke St. You have a tram stop outside the front door, the train around the corner and a short stroll to anything.

So if you are looking for somewhere right in the centre of the city this is definetely your place.

But the apartments were tired to say the least, and the whole building could do with an overhaul or a damn good clean up. Scuffs and marks on walls, windows that were so dirty I thought it was raining the whole time, and just really looking sad and tired. It could be so nice if they spent some money on it to give it a little tlc. They might also do well to spend some money on things like bathroom amenities and bins!! The lighting was also horrid with most of the lights being flurescent.

The service wasn't the greatest as reception staff were surly and I was charged $100 deposit which I was not told about, until I enquired on the price. Also, on checkout I was informed that there was a surcharge for any credit card - a complete rort on their behalf to just make money. I mean, how many people pay via credit cards every day??

So all in all, the apartments themselves werent that great, they certainly dont look like their website pictures (they are smallish and tired), but if you want to be close to everything then you couldnt go past this as an option.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (188)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
Perth, Australia
Reviewed May 15, 2012

I was a bit apprehensive after reading reviews but have no hesitation in recommending this property. We stayed in 607 for four nights and found the 1 bedroom apartment exactly how it was described and exactly like photos we had seen. Yes I agree the bed is a little hard, but this is personal taste. The room was very clean and had everything we needed. It was a bonus having breakfast provided, although the kitchen had all that was necessary to provide your own.

The construction noise was not a big factor for us; though it was noticeable. Maybe you could ask for a room at the front of the building if noise is a problem, or earplugs would help for someone who is a light sleeper.

As other reviewers have stated the staff were fantastic. They were without exception very friendly and professional.

The location is perfect and we will stay here again when visiting Melbourne.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front would be quier
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank kobecat1
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed April 23, 2012

I could write a hundred words to describe the problems I had with this Hotel but for simplicity and to get straight to the point I have decided to use just three.

Don't go there.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Basilito
fhairie, Manager at Somerset on Elizabeth, Melbourne, responded to this review, May 4, 2012
Dear Tripadvisor Member,
We thank you for your feedback on this website however I am saddened to hear that you did not enjoy your stay and wish to sincerely apologize for the inconvenience caused.
It is always our intention to ensure all guests are satisfied with their stay, as such I would appreciate if you could contact me personally so that I can investigate what has occurred and ensure that we address any issues. You may call Somerset on Elizabeth Melbourne on (03) 8665 8888 and ask for me, so that I can try to make up for this shortfall.
Yours sincerely
Villaga, Italy
Reviewed April 22, 2012

We, a group of 3, stayed here in early April 2012 and the apartment was perfect - plenty large for our group with a private bedroom, couch and spare bed. The kitchen was handy for preparing breakfast in-house, and the location was within easy walking distance of everywhere we wanted to go in Melbourne. The apartment was very clean and modern and included a clothes washer/dryer machine with detergent. The shower was overly abrasive and boiling hot when cranked completely on, so take heed and turn it down before getting in.
There is a mini-mart across the street to stock your kitchen with breakfast provisions. Coffee and tea is provided by the hotel.
Parking at/near the Somerset is quite expensive, ~$40/day using the hotels valet parking service, and even more if you park in the nearby Central Station garage, but there is a garage around the block for $10/day. Taxi between the Somerset and Melbourne Airport is $45-50 (approx. 30 minutes).
I was very impressed by the hospitality and quality of accommodation at Sommerset. have no complaints, and considering this full apartment is the same price as most basic hotel rooms in Melbourne, I recommend it over all other options in the city.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank SBrady
Hamilton, New Zealand
Reviewed April 21, 2012

this hotel is in the centre of the city close to the trams, great food, galleries etc

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank ann_waugh
Burleigh Heads, Australia
Reviewed April 16, 2012

What I look for when I stay in an apartment over a hotel is somewhere that feels homely, that I can come back to after a long day of meetings, shopping etc and just unwind.

Unfortunately that wasn't my experience at SOE, what I found instead was a very sterile feeling apartment that wasn't up to scratch for a 4 star offering.

I've read elsewhere that the property is about to undertake a soft refurb and let me tell you, it needs it, if only to update the TV to one manufactured this century.

The shower in the ensuite was one of the worst I've experienced, it came with 2 temperatures, scolding or cold...you had to have the setting almost all the way to cold to avoid scolding and if you dated even nudge it you got this rush of hot water.
Needless to say it was extremely unpleasant and something I'd expect in a 3 star backpackers not in a supposed 4 star apartment.

On a positive note I have to say the staff at this property were fantastic, they were always friendly and always accommodating.

The location like the staff is excellent, it was ideal for what I was looking for, but on the downside, there is no dedicated parking so it’s potluck whether there’s a spot to put the car prior to having the staff valet park the car (at a rather exorbitant $35 a day)

As a professional travel planner and advisor with almost a decade of experience not only selling travel but living it, I've stayed in hundreds of properties of all caliber’s from $100 a night to $10000 a night, and when I recommend a property to a client I'm putting my own reputation on the line and as such, in it's present condition I really wouldn't recommend it to anyone seeking a 4 star + apartment experience.

TravellerAgent stayed at this property anonymously and paid for the property himself, follow him on Twitter @TravellerAgent

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Priveluxe
Dear Tripadvisor Member,

We thank you for your feedback on this website although I am sorry that your stay did not fully meet your expectations. I do appreciate your kind comments about our great location and our friendly staff; I will pass your nice words on to our team here at Somerset on Elizabeth.

As you mentioned, I can now confirm that we have plans in place to undertake some soft refurbishment this year, in order to improve the quality of our product.

I would be very grateful if could contact me directly, to provide your room number so we can further investigate and rectify the water temperature problem.

Again, I thank you for your feedback and apologize for the inconvenience caused.

Yours sincerely
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed April 8, 2012

Stayed from mid Feb til early Mch 2012. We love the Ascott family. The location is perfect for city visits and train access to outlying areas. Staff was always helpful and responsive. I hate construction noise but it seemed to be at times that didn't bother us. Kitchen items including glassware and cutlery is sparse for an Ascott property. Towels always fresh but a bit thin. It appears they may be headed for a renovation. However, the location is a great draw and during our time occupancy was high. I wouldn't hesitate to book again.

Room Tip: Street facing rooms avoid the construction.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple