“Great Location, nice staff” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of George Powlett Apartments

George Powlett Apartments
Ranked #54 of 133 Specialty Lodging in Melbourne
sa
“Great Location, nice staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2009

We arrived at 10am and the manager allowed us to checkin then instead of waiting til 1pm. We found the room to be comfortable and clean. I will be staying there again when I return to Melbourne. 5 STARS

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Perth WA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2009

I was a little worried after booking a five night stay. I read the reviews, and almost cancelled my booking. Now I am SINCERLY glad i didn't.

For those of you thinking of doing so- read this first. Then decide. I will attempt to paint you an honest picture.

I am a student traveller, with a budget to match- so when i decided to go cheap- I thought backpackers. Then I found this place. No sharing of a bathroom- GREAT!

On arrival we first noticed the location. Adjacent to fitzroy gardens, the place is a scenic 10 minute walk to the city. There is, however, a train station and a tram stop not 100 metres away- so if you are unfit, elderly or have mobility problems- the location still works. Also, if you are a sport fan- the MCG is practically across the road.

From the outside the building is drab, and to be perfectly honest, the inside is not much better. The place is neat and tidy though. The carpet is perhaps not the cleanest, and the walls could do with a paint- but if you are looking at staying here then clearly you aren't in melbourne for the crown towers decor!

A few reviews have mentioned the receptionist- a guy. We never saw this guy- it was young woman on both check in and out. She was a little slow, but we weren't in a hurry- and she was quite polite, and happy to help out with any queries, including extra keys etc. Also regarding the other reviews- parking. We didn't have a car- but the place had about 10 bays, four of which were sheltered. A word of caution- SMALL CARS. There were a few incidents while we were there with larger cars not quite fitting around the corner.

We stayed in room 23. It is up the stairs and through the laundry (Which is a washer and dryer, charged at three dollars each). The place has no elevator- so we bounced our bags up and down the stairs.

On entering the room, the first thing we noticed was the faint asian grocery store aroma. This wasn't particularly strong or unpleasant, but definately lingered for the length of the stay. The kitchenette had a little crockery, cutlery, plus a microwave, toaster and kettle. The appliances looked worn, but were all clean. There have also been a few reviews about tea towels etc- we came armed with a few- but it turned out these, cloths and dishwashing liquid were under the sink. The fridge was clean, but a little noisy at night.

Onto the room itself. There were definately a few light globes missing, however there was probably more than what was required to begin with- so the light was very sufficent- even enough to do makeup. (There IS a full length mirror girls!) The bedding was clean and pressed, and even though it was winter there was definately enough of it. The beds are reminiscent of an elderly granmothers- the mattress is a little lumpy and saggy, but soft and comfortable.

We had a TV which didn't work- but lets face it- we weren't on holidays to watch TV. Also, the inbuilt heater was rather dusty and VERY old- we didn't switch it on. There was an electric heater which was plenty for the room- but it had an annoyingly bright glow- the first morning it was greeted with "Please turn off the SUN!" If you feel the cold, this may get problematic- but the 3 degree nights were actually quite confortable without heat once socks and bedding factored in.

The bathroom was SMALL, but sufficient. If you are severly overweight, elderly, or of reduced mobility, the inward swinging door may present a problem. Also, there is quite a large step into the bath/shower- about 30cms/12 inches- so be aware of this. The shower pressure was good, and the water always seemed hot, but the head did have a small squirt to it- we used an extra towel as a bathmat. The bath is child sized- an adult would fit with their knees pressed to their chin. There was a little mould on the ceiling- probably due to the fact that the fan switch was strangly located- but no more than you would find on the average bathroom ceiling. It wasn't like sport ground showers or anything. Apart from that- the bathroom was adequate for most. Girls, I would bring your own hairdryer though- didn't use mine but it looked a little shoddy.

Regarding cleaning- our towels were replaced and bins emptied every TWO days, instead of one. SInce i am lucky to take the garbage out once a week at home- I didn't care. If it gets too full- take it out yourself! And if you need too, wash your own towels!

Finally- the place is very quiet. Admittedly we were there during winter- but for all i heard- we could have been the only ones there.

In all- if you are looking for a cheapish hotel quality place- maybe try elsewhere. But if you are considering backpackers- this is an AMAZINGLY good alternative, for around the same price twin share. If you are a germaphobe this might be a little trying, but its not exactly filthy, as I was led to believe. Consider that extra pair of shoes you could buy if you just take out your own trash.

Have a good holiday!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends
3 Thank LeeshR
Kelmscott
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2009

Daily room cleaning poor.
Bins hardly emptied and when they were, on one occasion when we found the rubbish bag left just inside the door.
Towls that were left in bath for replacement (as instructed) were found placed back on the towl rails.
When we requested new ones we were told that they would be delivered in 10 to15 minutes, half an hour later we still had not received them. We called again and were told to wait another 10minutes. After twenty five minures on I went down to the reception but it was empty. My wife phoned the after hours number and was greeted with abuse and told to go to the store room and get them herself.
Television didn't work.
Internet link next to useless (Had to use one at the Libruary over the road)
Could not open door onto balcony.
Half the lights did not work.
Did not use wardrobe because of mould and chipboard falling apart from the hot water system which was located in the other half.

It is a pity because the location is excellent, short pleasant walk through park to CBD, close to trams and there is a nice little pattisserie and Greek breakfast / lunch bar both within 3 minutes walk.

• Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Travelers are raving about these Melbourne hotels

Sydney
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2009

I stayed here for the long weekend with my girlfriends, 4 nights to be exact and before arriving I was a little hesitant to keep my booking as I saw all the bad reviews on here.

The room was not grubby as stated below, the receptionist was nice and the room was neat. Our heater was not working but reception replaced it with a room heater and the room was very warm our whole stay. The bathroom was in good condition, so was the kitchenette, they supplied us with a proper blow dryer also.

It is a 3 star Motel and when you arrive you see that, but if your wanting to budget and stay somewhere cheap and desirable this is the place to be. The location is fantastic too it is only 7 minutes from the City.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Travel_Bug585
Adelaide
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2009

Possibly the worst service I have ever received anywhere in accommodation in Australia. DO NOT STAY HERE IF YOU HAVE A CAR. They advertise they have free parking which is true for about 14 cars but have over 40 rooms. Our car was scratched and I was told by the receptionist "this has never happened before" which is a lie as there were paint scrapings everywhere and someone else told us his car had been damaged. When I asked to speak to the owner he refused to speak to me and told the receptionist to deal with it. There is absolutely no customer service whatsoever. About 6 light bulbs had been removed from our room. No one bothers to check the rooms properly. We had cutlery missing from our kitchen area and empty coke bottles on the floor that had been left by previous thrill seekers who had stayed there. What a shame as the location is great. When we asked for our money back we were refused. Do yourself a really big favour and GO ELSEWHERE.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sweet_hitchhiker
Adelaide
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2009

We booked this place for 2 nights on check-in.com.au for a trip to the footy. Cost $183.50 and that seemed very cheap. Had real issues with parking our Toyota Camry. They have 42 rooms and only 14 car parks all for small cars. Street parking is limited to 1 hour only between 0700 and 2200 hrs. My vehicle was scratched by others in the same predicament of trying to park in miniscule spaces. 2 others complained to me of the their vehicles getting scratched and that is in just 2 days. Guess that is not a problem if you fly in to Melbourne. We were on the top floor and there is no lift. Bathroom is the smallest I have encountered but no cockroaches that I saw. Mind you you will have a problem shaving or putting on makeup in the dark. The lighting in the room was limited as 6 fittings were not functioning due to 5 bulbs missing and one blown. Probably good that we could not see too well.
Advertised that it had free wifi so took along my laptop. Gave up in frustration as it was not functioning. Went down to MacDonalds and connected instantly and sent some emails. Room photo showed a kitchenette with all the vegetables being prepared for cooking. No cooking utensils or hotplates at all in the room - some kitchenette with only a tiny microwave. Complained and they said they would get us a hotplate and saucepan. After about an hour we were given a portable hotplate that could not be used because the control knob was missing. Out to dinner it was.
Finally parked in the carpark down the lane at the side of the units. Got up early to head home to Adelaide only to find the lane blocked by another guests vehicle. Another couple were in the same boat and very upset as they too had a long drive ahead.
Reception unmanned but had a message saying any problem ring a mobile number. Did that several times but it was not answered and had no message bank. Reception supposed to open at 0830 but no one showed and eventually mobile was answered at 0855hrs. He said he was held up and would be there soon - sounded like he was in bed. I gave up and went and woke 41 other people until I found the clown who parked in driveway next to the tow away sign.
My advice is pay a few bucks more and avoid this place like the plague. The manager is rude and totally not commited to customer service. The place is a dump.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank imagumby
Southern Tablelands, NSW
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2009

I booked a five night stay from Sunday. I expected good, clean, basic accommodation. What I got was an apartment that was grotty, grubby and in need of a serious clean. The group asking about getting a refund on their two rooms should have been the warning flag to us, but as it was Moomba weekend, we arrived on Sunday night and alternatives were scarce.

The only 'servicing' done during the five days was the change of towels but not on the until we asked, and the garbage bin emptied. Full stop. When we made enquiries, we were told by a person at reception (not the obnoxious one) that the room would be 'serviced', including sheet changes. This was specific in the query.

The carpet was in serious need of at least a good vacuum clean. No broom or dustpan are in the room for the lino part. The good thing was a fairly new kitchen sink installation and a microwave that worked. But the kettle was possessed and turned itself on and off sporadically.

The window is missing its fly screen so on a warm night, you can't leave the window open because of the mosquitoes. The air con unit is only a foot above the head of the single bed so is not something you can run all night, regardless of greenhouse emission considerations.

You had to close the bathroom door to get around it to go to the toilet. The grout between the tiles in the bathroom in places is actually black with mould. The hair dryer was broken and was not the one that should have been in the bracket so it just fell out all the time. There was hair strands in the drain in the bare, rough concrete floored shower, which was too narrow to take a shower without having the soap container digging you in the ribs while the shower curtain stuck to you on the other side.

The double bed was uncomfortable. I could feel every spring from my head to my feet due to the padding being flattened. Very much overdue for replacement.

I have photos but have to work out how to get them off my phone and will add them later if possible.

On check out, we relayed our disappointment with the apartment to the man on the desk. On realising that we were making a complaint, he took up a 'passive agressive' tone with monosyllabic answers, wouldn't look at us and said "what did you expect for $90 a night?". We told him that we would advise people we know to steer clear of the property to which he replied "you do that", after which we went to our car and found it to be blocked by another vehicle.

I returned to the reception and asked the man if he knew the owner of the vehicle (he said no), could he find out (maybe) and ask the owner if they would move their car so I could get out (umphhh). I thanked him for his 'assistance' and returned to my car. This obnoxious man then appeared 60 seconds later and moved the car.

I'm a reasonable person and generally easily pleased. This experience was beyond anything I've ever experienced in a long history of travel, domestic and overseas. The accommodation was the only dampener on an otherwise brilliant trip to Melbourne.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends