“Parking virtually non existent. Shocking.”

George Powlett Apartments
Ranked #57 of 136 Specialty Lodging in Melbourne
Adelaide
“Parking virtually non existent. Shocking.”
Reviewed May 14, 2009

We booked this place for 2 nights on check-in.com.au for a trip to the footy. Cost $183.50 and that seemed very cheap. Had real issues with parking our Toyota Camry. They have 42 rooms and only 14 car parks all for small cars. Street parking is limited to 1 hour only between 0700 and 2200 hrs. My vehicle was scratched by others in the same predicament of trying to park in miniscule spaces. 2 others complained to me of the their vehicles getting scratched and that is in just 2 days. Guess that is not a problem if you fly in to Melbourne. We were on the top floor and there is no lift. Bathroom is the smallest I have encountered but no cockroaches that I saw. Mind you you will have a problem shaving or putting on makeup in the dark. The lighting in the room was limited as 6 fittings were not functioning due to 5 bulbs missing and one blown. Probably good that we could not see too well.
Advertised that it had free wifi so took along my laptop. Gave up in frustration as it was not functioning. Went down to MacDonalds and connected instantly and sent some emails. Room photo showed a kitchenette with all the vegetables being prepared for cooking. No cooking utensils or hotplates at all in the room - some kitchenette with only a tiny microwave. Complained and they said they would get us a hotplate and saucepan. After about an hour we were given a portable hotplate that could not be used because the control knob was missing. Out to dinner it was.
Finally parked in the carpark down the lane at the side of the units. Got up early to head home to Adelaide only to find the lane blocked by another guests vehicle. Another couple were in the same boat and very upset as they too had a long drive ahead.
Reception unmanned but had a message saying any problem ring a mobile number. Did that several times but it was not answered and had no message bank. Reception supposed to open at 0830 but no one showed and eventually mobile was answered at 0855hrs. He said he was held up and would be there soon - sounded like he was in bed. I gave up and went and woke 41 other people until I found the clown who parked in driveway next to the tow away sign.
My advice is pay a few bucks more and avoid this place like the plague. The manager is rude and totally not commited to customer service. The place is a dump.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank imagumby

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Southern Tablelands, NSW
Reviewed March 18, 2009

I booked a five night stay from Sunday. I expected good, clean, basic accommodation. What I got was an apartment that was grotty, grubby and in need of a serious clean. The group asking about getting a refund on their two rooms should have been the warning flag to us, but as it was Moomba weekend, we arrived on Sunday night and alternatives were scarce.

The only 'servicing' done during the five days was the change of towels but not on the until we asked, and the garbage bin emptied. Full stop. When we made enquiries, we were told by a person at reception (not the obnoxious one) that the room would be 'serviced', including sheet changes. This was specific in the query.

The carpet was in serious need of at least a good vacuum clean. No broom or dustpan are in the room for the lino part. The good thing was a fairly new kitchen sink installation and a microwave that worked. But the kettle was possessed and turned itself on and off sporadically.

The window is missing its fly screen so on a warm night, you can't leave the window open because of the mosquitoes. The air con unit is only a foot above the head of the single bed so is not something you can run all night, regardless of greenhouse emission considerations.

You had to close the bathroom door to get around it to go to the toilet. The grout between the tiles in the bathroom in places is actually black with mould. The hair dryer was broken and was not the one that should have been in the bracket so it just fell out all the time. There was hair strands in the drain in the bare, rough concrete floored shower, which was too narrow to take a shower without having the soap container digging you in the ribs while the shower curtain stuck to you on the other side.

The double bed was uncomfortable. I could feel every spring from my head to my feet due to the padding being flattened. Very much overdue for replacement.

I have photos but have to work out how to get them off my phone and will add them later if possible.

On check out, we relayed our disappointment with the apartment to the man on the desk. On realising that we were making a complaint, he took up a 'passive agressive' tone with monosyllabic answers, wouldn't look at us and said "what did you expect for $90 a night?". We told him that we would advise people we know to steer clear of the property to which he replied "you do that", after which we went to our car and found it to be blocked by another vehicle.

I returned to the reception and asked the man if he knew the owner of the vehicle (he said no), could he find out (maybe) and ask the owner if they would move their car so I could get out (umphhh). I thanked him for his 'assistance' and returned to my car. This obnoxious man then appeared 60 seconds later and moved the car.

I'm a reasonable person and generally easily pleased. This experience was beyond anything I've ever experienced in a long history of travel, domestic and overseas. The accommodation was the only dampener on an otherwise brilliant trip to Melbourne.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends

Travelers are raving about these Melbourne hotels

NSW
Reviewed March 16, 2009

Well I booked accommodation before reading the reviews on here, and I was VERY worried about staying there.
I knew it wouldn't be 5 star accommodation, all I wanted was a clean place to sleep and shower.

Which, gladly it was. We stayed in room 16, and had no major problems. Yes, it is old and a bit run down, but you can't expect too much for the price. We didn't experience any 'bed bugs', the floor was clean, no furniture broken. The linen was clean, and the shower and toilet were passable. I wouldn't want to stay there for a 'holiday', we didn't use the kitchen, only used the room to have a good nights sleep and a shower in the morning.

Good location, good price - a lot cheaper than in the CBD and no sharing bathroom facilities like most hostels.

I would stay again for only 1 or 2 nights, but not for longer.

• Stayed March 2009
1 Thank sunsurfsand81
Brisbane
Reviewed March 3, 2009

My boyfriend and I spent 5 nights at George Powlett in mid-February 2009. I hadn't read all the negative reviews before we booked. Given our stay was completely trouble-free, I feel like I should defend GP. Our apartment was clean, came with all the appliances etc you'd expect from a 3 star hotel room (since when do DVD players or VHS come as standard?), and we were given fresh towels every 2nd night during the week (and then every night on the weekend). GP is in a great location (10 mins walk to the CBD, train & tram closer). You can also catch the free Skybus hotel shuttle there from the Skybus city terminal. It was cheaper for us than a double room in one of the budget hotels with a shared bathroom. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank BrisMegan
brisbane
Reviewed January 14, 2009

I made a booking for an apartment at the George Powlett before I read the reviews on this site. I thought about canceling my booking but decided to see for myself why the place was getting such a bad rap.

My wife, small daughter (21/2 years old) and myself just spent 6 nights in apartment 25 and I have to say we had a very pleasant experience.

Yes, Mark, the owner is a bit rude but as soon as I spent a little time chatting with him after checking in, he opened up. He turned out to be a friendly blok. And anyway, you don't have to sleep with him. I only saw him 2 times - on checkin and again on checkout.

Yes, the place is a bit on the dirty side and yes the rooms are small. But if you don't try to make a 5-star hotel out of a 3-star budget accommodation, you should do just fine.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
1 Thank metelltruth
Also consider these accommodations in or near Melbourne
Albert Heights Serviced Apartments
#2 of 2 in Richmond
Pullman Melbourne on the Park
Pullman Melbourne on the Park
#76 of 159 in Melbourne

Been to George Powlett Apartments? Share your experiences!