“Good position, but basic”

and 1 more site!
George Powlett Apartments
Ranked #57 of 145 Specialty Lodging in Melbourne
Reviewed March 24, 2014

Great spot for a base, but very tired rooms. Peeling paint, power points falling out, dripping taps, and musty smell, so if you were looking for luxury you missed the mark. However the room was clean, and sheets good quality. the free wi-fi is pretty hit and miss, could only get it to work on the balcony.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for George Powlett Apartments

Reviewed March 15, 2014

Our room was dirty The bathroom was a mess dirt and muck on the vanity Shower was dirty no water pressure Toilet bowl was green and grimey Rotten food in the microwave stunk the room out Also rotten food in the fridge Cracked windows Took my concerns to front desk Nothing happened No cleaner was sent to clean the room Complained on checkout Lady was not aware of our previous complaints If I had not pre paid thru Wotif I would not have paid a cent for this stay It was very disappointing Price should not compromise a clean and healthy stay Room requested when booking was not available even though I had phoned two weeks before to confirm

Room Tip: Don't go there It will spoil your holiday They say a picture is worth a thousand words In this c...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank Michael C
Reviewed March 8, 2014

I got what I paid for & am happy to say I enjoyed it. Room was clean, had clean linen, slept well, air con and tv & that's all I needed. The shower tap dripped the whole time I was here but I didn't care, the room was clean, we walked everywhere we needed to go because the location was great for our purposes.

The park at the end of the road was lovely & we got to tour Captain Cooks Cottage & the Conservatory. The receptionist was friendly, and tried to help (she was new). Yes it can get noisy once people start to wake up, however we spent most off our time exploring the city so I didn't care.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank Lisa H
Reviewed February 22, 2014

We stayed at the apartment for one night on the weekend and what we received was far worse than we expected. The room only cost $130 so we obviously didn't expect a lavish room however what we received was far from okay. Firstly, I must point out the service from the lady at the front desk was great. She was friendly and check in wasn't an issue. Unfortunately it was all downhill from there. The property had only a few carparks and 2 of the parks had bits of wood and bricks so there was no parking for our car. The property looked like it should be condemned and I worried about the people sitting on the balconies!! The room was awfully basic. We found public hair in the bathroom (that didn't belong to us), the shower was absolutely filthy with more mould on it than all the blue cheese in France. It was revolting, so bad, we didn't even use it. The one positive in the room were the beds. They were surprisingly clean and comfortable. The pillows were so high we all woke up with sore necks! The "kitchenette" was filthy and the fridge looked like it hadn't been cleaned in years, nor did the cabinets or cutlery. It's a shame because the location is great but you can do a lot better.

• Stayed: February 2014
5  Thank em2606
Reviewed February 5, 2014

THE GOOD= nice welcome from friendly staff, room was a great size and clean(room 19). Air con worked very well in very hot weather. TV worked great,table and chairs to sit and eat,small kitchen was ok. Location is great, one block walk from train station and tram ,7/11 store and a nice bakery one block away,great price for where the hotel is located.

THE BAD= NOISE NOISE NOISE! You can hear every door close, every tap turn on and off,every footstep from other guests and everything they say,if you are a light sleeper you will hate this hotel. The shower water pressure is bad and hot water lasts for 20mins. The bed was bad but clean.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed February 3, 2014

Bit mouldy around the edges. We picked the place based on it being cheap and cheerful. It's not particularly cheerful. The room was not very well cleaned, with earplugs floating in the toilet and other people's rubbish in corners and behind the bedside tables. It was a bit musty smelling, much smaller than it looked on the website, noisy and the bathroom was worse than any of the many student flats I've lived in. I'm also not particularly picky as I still live in a student flat. Good things: it's very close walking distance to town, so you don't have to spend much time there. The bed was comfortable and the linen was clean, and the airconditioner worked.
Bad things; No hot water one day. The wi-fi was pretty unfunctional. The bathroom was small, the shower had a low flow, there was no extractor fan, it was mouldy and some of the lights didn't work. The staff completely buggered up ordering us a taxi and I had to run ten blocks to get to a wedding on time.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 24, 2014

At my last visit to melbourne i stayed at the George Powlett Apartments.My room was nice and quiet,comfortable and excellent value .Tram and train 2 minutes walk,across the road to the MCG,rod laver arena and botanic gardens.The staff were very professional and i thank them for my stay,i hope to stay again on my next visit.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business