“Perfect for event accommodation”

George Powlett Apartments
Ranked #57 of 136 Specialty Lodging in Melbourne
Ballarat, Australia
“Perfect for event accommodation”
Reviewed April 17, 2012

Recently stayed here for Planetshakers Conference 2012. It's got a seperate bathroom, a microwave/fridge and air con. only a 10/15min walk to Hisense Arena. Sure it's not the prettiest thing on earth and most of the rooms smell like smoke, but if you want to see Melbourne & just have a bed to fall into at night, this is perfect. The place kinda grows on you and the cleaning staff are incredible. With tram stops practically on your door step, nice shops and stores only a 15min tram ride from the city, its home away from home for the budget conscious.

Room Tip: If you choose a room on the 'Powlett St' side of the building you have your own balcony &...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Rosie119_12

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Reviewed April 13, 2012

Really run down. Not advised room was smoking. Bad smoke smell. Nice receptionist. Very narrow carpark. Car parked in access to spaces blocked me in. Nearly missed plane.

• Stayed April 2012
2 Thank K1200rs1999

Travelers are raving about these Melbourne hotels

Darwin
Reviewed April 10, 2012

Don't waste your money on the room or the service. Location is of good quality but there is no quality about these apartments. I would rate them 2 star at the best and do NOT recommend this place especially for families or value for money.

Room Tip: I don't think there are any good rooms.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Chiang Mai, Thailand
Reviewed March 15, 2012

If you are looking for great value, this is it! Situated in East Melbourne, these self-contained apartments are small and basic but very clean. If you want pampering in a hotel, go for it! If you want a cheap and comfortable place to sleep and look after yourself, stay here. In the same block, you have a Convenience Store, an excellent Coffee Shop, as well as some good-value restaurants. It is opposite the MCG Park and only a short trip to the City by tram in one direction and a short walk to wonderful Chapel Street, Richmond in the other direction. And, I strongly recommend the walk through the Treasury Gardens which will bring you out at the top end (the Paris end) of Collins Street. I love it!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank Robert A
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed February 15, 2012

We stayed at the George Powlett apartments in early February 2012. Our 'kitchenette' facilities were a bench and microwave and fridge that was almost cold, but the freezer didn't work. There was a layer of black grime on the floor of the shower which we had to ask be removed (it was pretty disgusting!) The air conditioning was a unit attached to the wall, it was almost too loud to hear a conversation while it was going. The 'service' of our room consisted of someone throwing clean towels on the bed once every second day. The rubbish was emptied sporadically and no other cleaning attempts were made (we stayed almost a week). The only good thing I could say about this place is that it is close enough to walk into the Melbourne CBD.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Raq_76_7
Traralgon, Australia
Reviewed January 29, 2012

We too stayed during the Aust open. Very incompetent staff, to start with we were told that they had no accomodation for us when booking.....then another family member rang to book accom and low and behold- there are rooms available! On the day of arrival the receptionist started ringing us from 8.30 in the morning wanting to know when we were turning up. When we did arrive they didn't even have an EFTPOS machine to take our payment, and proceeded to ring another business (of unknown location and without my permission!!) to read out my credit card details to someone on the end of the phone to put through the payment!! The room was filthy, looked like it hadn't even been vacuumed and to top it off the kitchenette sink and the shower dripped all night! Definetely won't be staying there again- there are much better and cleaner hotels in the city that are much cheaper than this one.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank CityStayer567
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed January 27, 2012

I booked this place months in advance on Wotif, for my friend and I to stay one night during the Australian Open. The day before our stay, I received a phone call from the hotel. A very agitated lady said "I'm sorry but we had a change in management and the previous manager took all the money, so we don't have your money and you will have to pay again." Dumbfounded, I refused and advised her that this was not my problem. She went on to say "you must contact your bank and get your money back." "But why would the bank have the money?" "Well maybe I can give you the number of the old manager and you can ask for your money back? But you still have to pay us again or you can't stay." I continued refusing to pay them again and eventually they realised that I had booked through Wotif and said "oh, never mind, we will get the money from Wotif - we didn't realise you had booked through them" and hung up. Upon arriving at the hotel the next day, I politely informed them that asking for people to pay again (even if I had booked through Wotif, I felt sorry for the people who had booked direct) was very wrong. The lady became very angry and said "I just work here! I just do what they tell me!" I gave up on arguing and will go to Consumer Affairs instead. This exceptionally rude lady continued to snap at us with things like "I've already told you this" etc. If you don't want to be scammed and would rather not be greeted with the rudest lady on the planet, avoid this place at all costs.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
5 Thank bluren
Also consider these accommodations in or near Melbourne
Mantra on Jolimont
#75 of 159 in Melbourne
Richmond Hill Hotel
Richmond Hill Hotel
#2 of 2 in Richmond

Been to George Powlett Apartments? Share your experiences!