“Wouldn't recommend”

Ranked #56 of 132 Specialty Lodging in Melbourne
Wellington, New Zealand
“Wouldn't recommend”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2012

We stayed at the George Powlett apartments in early February 2012. Our 'kitchenette' facilities were a bench and microwave and fridge that was almost cold, but the freezer didn't work. There was a layer of black grime on the floor of the shower which we had to ask be removed (it was pretty disgusting!) The air conditioning was a unit attached to the wall, it was almost too loud to hear a conversation while it was going. The 'service' of our room consisted of someone throwing clean towels on the bed once every second day. The rubbish was emptied sporadically and no other cleaning attempts were made (we stayed almost a week). The only good thing I could say about this place is that it is close enough to walk into the Melbourne CBD.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Raq_76_7

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Traralgon, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2012

We too stayed during the Aust open. Very incompetent staff, to start with we were told that they had no accomodation for us when booking.....then another family member rang to book accom and low and behold- there are rooms available! On the day of arrival the receptionist started ringing us from 8.30 in the morning wanting to know when we were turning up. When we did arrive they didn't even have an EFTPOS machine to take our payment, and proceeded to ring another business (of unknown location and without my permission!!) to read out my credit card details to someone on the end of the phone to put through the payment!! The room was filthy, looked like it hadn't even been vacuumed and to top it off the kitchenette sink and the shower dripped all night! Definetely won't be staying there again- there are much better and cleaner hotels in the city that are much cheaper than this one.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank CityStayer567
Adelaide, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2012

I booked this place months in advance on Wotif, for my friend and I to stay one night during the Australian Open. The day before our stay, I received a phone call from the hotel. A very agitated lady said "I'm sorry but we had a change in management and the previous manager took all the money, so we don't have your money and you will have to pay again." Dumbfounded, I refused and advised her that this was not my problem. She went on to say "you must contact your bank and get your money back." "But why would the bank have the money?" "Well maybe I can give you the number of the old manager and you can ask for your money back? But you still have to pay us again or you can't stay." I continued refusing to pay them again and eventually they realised that I had booked through Wotif and said "oh, never mind, we will get the money from Wotif - we didn't realise you had booked through them" and hung up. Upon arriving at the hotel the next day, I politely informed them that asking for people to pay again (even if I had booked through Wotif, I felt sorry for the people who had booked direct) was very wrong. The lady became very angry and said "I just work here! I just do what they tell me!" I gave up on arguing and will go to Consumer Affairs instead. This exceptionally rude lady continued to snap at us with things like "I've already told you this" etc. If you don't want to be scammed and would rather not be greeted with the rudest lady on the planet, avoid this place at all costs.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
5 Thank bluren

Travelers are raving about these Melbourne hotels

Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2011

Stayed here with a friend for a long weekend. Plusses: It's right off Wellington Parade, with trams and rail close by. It's in close walking distance to Victoria Parade, Collingwood, Richmond Hill and the CBD. The room was okay, although it was old, and the beds weren't stellar. It was average, and if you're okay with not being in a 5-star resort, it's fine for what it is. I'd probably stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask to not face a wall. There are apartments with balconies.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
regina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 15, 2011

Not sparkling..didn't care...assistance from staff not an issue, as we are self reliant; everything we needed we had, or could get from someone in short order. This place puts you in a great location to shuttle to everything from the Fitzroy Gardens park to the MCG to the quick bus ride down to Flinders station, which is the hub for everything, even out to St Kilda's. Is it tired...yes. Dirty...like it was said in here...like grandma's old place...a little worn, a little odorous even...but it does have a charm, its well placed, and it doesn't break the bank. We had three kids under 12 with us and it saved us a bundle. I would stay there again...we walked to Fitzroy every morning...after toast and that terrible stuff Aussies put on it haha.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
Auckland Region, New Zealand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2011

The place is in need of renovation, as everything looks really dated, but it's very close to the city and the MCG, so it's good value for money if all you want is a place to sleep. We didn't spend a whole lot of time in our room so it was easy to ignore the decor. However, the hot water ran out every night, so I just had to adjust to washing my hair ultra fast. The internet's free, which is a plus. We stayed there for a week, but I think housekeeping only came in a couple of times - not that we were particularly messy. The room we received was warm and quiet. It was a little annoying that they didn't seem to have an e-mail address for enquiries prior to arrival so you had to call, which could be tricky for visitors from overseas. And the guy up front was nice enough, but a smile wouldn't hurt.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank bella_ferrari
Adelaide, South Australia, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2011

I found this place to be good budget accommodation close to the city and shopping. It was clean, neat and secure but is in need of an overhaul.

The TV only had 4 chanels, the airconditioning worked better with windows open - even though it was refrigerated and only half the light bulbs worked. the fridge made lots of noice constantly.

However if you just want accommodation and do not plan to spend much time there, it is ideally located.

Room Tip: Don't expect too much other than a safe place to sleep.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business