“Wonderful!”

Cuisines: Australian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed December 16, 2012

We loved the concept of sharing plates especially as all the food was so fantastic. Divine zucchini flowers, chick pea fries, an amazing chicken and asparagus dish and a dessert that my daughter dubbed immediately as instagram worthy. Book early!

There are newer reviews for The Sharing house

Reviewed December 9, 2012

Don't get me wrong, the food tastes fantastic (if a little pretentious - "textures of celery" - really?), but the menu is very confusing. Our lovely waiter tried to explain how to select 'a couple of small plates each, maybe three if some are small, or perhaps three between two if you add a large plate, well, that's nearer a standard main course size, but you might want more, and you can add a 'feast plate' which is like a main course for between two and for people, depending on which one you have, or...." and so it went on, leaving us even more confused then when we started!

Unfortunately the first thing we selected, the mussels, (based on seeing it go to a neighbouring table) had run out. Surprising, seeing as how there were only three tables occupied in the whole place. We then chose some wine, to try and help us focus on the task of ordering, only to discover they'd run out of that too, so we had to choose something else.

Eventually we'd made some selections and committed to our order. When asked if he thought it was enough, not enough, or too much, our friendly waiter said it was about right, but if it wasn't enough we could 'fill up on pudding'.

It came out of the kitchen in dribs and drabs, not in any particular order and not particularly quickly, and we were all rather surprised that there wasn't anything else to come when they brought out our 'feast' selection and announced that 'that was it'.

Again, I must emphasise, the food was delicious - nicely combined flavours, well prepared and presented.

As we were all still hungry we decided to order desserts and 'try to fill up'. As we were the last table in the restaurant at this point, we assumed they'd be reasonably quick. I was wrong. We waited more than 45 minutes. Twice we asked the waiter, who embarrassedly had to say 'chef takes his desserts very seriously'. Well, I looked into the kitchen and saw him merrily playing on his blackberry and chatting with one of the other kitchen staff, whilst our desserts sat on the counter (respectively melting and getting cold) waiting to go out. Clearly he's not that bothered.

The peanut brittle was nice, but the creme brulee (his speciality) tasted like it had been recently defrosted. Very disappointed.

I wanted to like this place, based on the interesting looking menu, but was disappointed at almost every element of the evening.

Reviewed October 28, 2012

We chose this as it was one of the places near the Hilton, where we were staying. My partner and one of his colleagues, on a business trip, wanted to eat at the end of a long day.

It perhaps wasn't the best choice for the circumstances, because we weren't geared up for the concept of small, tapas-like portions to share, and so we didn't make sure that the single dish that one person wanted came early in the procession of dishes. We were also seated at the bar because we'd gone in on spec without making a reservation. However, I appreciated the concept, the environment, the friendly staff and the food.

In particular, the presentation of surf-and-turf as scallops and black pudding was a mastermind.

It's not particularly cheap, but it's extremely well done and tasty.

Probably not a good choice to take people for a business occasion when people expect to choose 'their' main off the menu, but for the slightly more adventurous, a great option. If you'd take your clients/colleagues to yum cha, then this would work.

For large groups, you'd want to order sufficient quantities of each thing that everyone could try each. Not such a good option if you need to negotiate to cope with a range of budgets and dietary requirements.

On outdoor seating, I think that they have some by the river, but it wasn't warm enough for us to want to investigate!

I want to go back on a future trip.

1  Thank ConradHC
Reviewed October 26, 2012

We found the Sharing House by chance on a recent trip to Melbourne and had a great night out. The food was diferent and wonderful. They encourgae you to share a number of small dishes and the portions to share were quite generous between two people. We loved the deep fried goats cheese balls and the orange creme brulee was sensational and a massive serve for 2 people but we managed to find space for it all. The service was excellent. I ordered a glass of wine that seemed to have been forgotten and when I asked about it the waiter was extremely aoplogetic and gave it to me on the house. The ambience was lovely and overall we were very impressed and would definitely return when next in Melbourne.

Reviewed October 20, 2012

I went with my mum for a light meal before a school function at the convention center. Parked at the DFO car park at around 6pm- it cost $24.00 when we left at 11pm.
I knew the Head Chef had worked for Shannon Bennett of Vue de monde, so I had high expectations. The restaurant looked good and I like the quirky lego details and the view of the river.
the menu was fairly small and eclectic - I can't remember the exact dish names.
We had the goats cheese croquettes with salad and apple and truffled honey. it was truly lovely. the cheese was very light, the honey an extra dimension.
We also had a side of heirloom carrots with the same cheese and dressing - The small purple and yellow carrots were piled in a little dish and we soaked up the very tasty dressing with bread.
then the mac and cheese with crab - again not a huge serving but very rich and with 3 or 4 substantial pieces of crab. it looked much more appetizing than the half of crab toasties I could see ordered by the table next to us.
Dessert was the most generous, apple pie but with cream, ice cream and custard. I have never seen so many vanilla bean flecks in one place!
We did not order any of the large mains
wine by the glass at around $10.00
the only quibble was it appeared the waiter areas were shared as well, we had 5 different staff come up to our table.
I will head back with some friends so we can order a wider variety of dishes. I enjoyed it very much and if the weather was nice there appeared to be outside seating

1  Thank leah66