“Better than The Maze was.”
Review of Mr. Hive

Mr. Hive
Ranked #412 of 4,395 Restaurants in Melbourne
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed April 25, 2013

Mr Hive was more than a Maze-ing. The place has inherited Gordon Ramsays old digs, but fortunately not the menu. The food was really tasty, wine list is really great too, covering all budgets. It really needs to do its own thing as far as decor goes though!

1  Thank Gramun

Reviewed April 21, 2013

Had breakfast as part of our hotel package. The Bircher musli was fabulous, good range of fruits to choose from, same as most for the hot meal options, generally nice overall. Hot drinks dont seem to be their speciality- dinner - our coffee was not as ordered and undrinkable then at breakfast the take away english breakfast tea was a cup of boiling water with milk and a wave of tea over the top, totally tasteless and I dumped it on the way to the convention centre. We had some drinks in the afternoon, when i went to pay it had been rung up incorrectly, glad i had been observant when signing the bill. Otherwise good.

Reviewed April 12, 2013

I had the oyster, Gippland organic rabbit and John Dory for the main. The oyster was nothing special. The rabbit was interesting and beautifully presented. As for the main, the confit potato was incredibly salty. Staff replaced the potato but it was still salty. John Dory was nicely cooked. No complaints with that. Portions were generous too. Staff were professional, very efficient and friendly enough to chat with diners too. I was told Roger Federer had dined there too when he came to Melbourne for the tennis. Went for dinner in the evening so the place was dim with candles. I would recommend this place for couples.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

My family and I stayed at the Metropol over Easter and organised our Easter lunch at Mr Hive. We were totally impressed, I cannot speak highly enough of the wait staff, they were terrific, even when a glass was spilled, they were there within seconds. They were great with the kids too and the children's menu was quite varied. The adults loved the courses, fresh and delicious and when I requested a desert which was not on the menu, it was delivered without fuss and it was magnificent!!! We will most definately be coming back!

Reviewed April 2, 2013

I visited with my girlfriend and a couple of friends on a Thursday night. The ambience, decor and atmosphere of the restaurant were great. An intimate setting for a relaxed dining experience. The service was fantastic, never rushed and those waiting on the tables were very welcoming and happily accommodating.
We started with a few entree's to share, the crispy little pig was a favourite, though at $21, somewhat on the expensive side for 4 small cubes of pork.
I followed up with more pork, the pork belly for main. At $32 this i thought was a very reasonable price considering the location, however i was left dissapointed with the size of the course. My friend had the beef wellington which she gave rave reviews and i had a touch of food envy there!
Finally i had Mrs Hives chocolate bar, which was rather nice although again a touch expensive for what it was at $20.
Overall i would say the restaurant has a fantastic setting and if they increased portion size a little it would warrant 4 stars. There are some hatted restaurants nearby who charge similar prices and give you more for your money. A good choice though for those staying at the Crown Metropol Hotel.