“Something different”

Cuisines: French
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed April 12, 2013

I had the oyster, Gippland organic rabbit and John Dory for the main. The oyster was nothing special. The rabbit was interesting and beautifully presented. As for the main, the confit potato was incredibly salty. Staff replaced the potato but it was still salty. John Dory was nicely cooked. No complaints with that. Portions were generous too. Staff were professional, very efficient and friendly enough to chat with diners too. I was told Roger Federer had dined there too when he came to Melbourne for the tennis. Went for dinner in the evening so the place was dim with candles. I would recommend this place for couples.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

My family and I stayed at the Metropol over Easter and organised our Easter lunch at Mr Hive. We were totally impressed, I cannot speak highly enough of the wait staff, they were terrific, even when a glass was spilled, they were there within seconds. They were great with the kids too and the children's menu was quite varied. The adults loved the courses, fresh and delicious and when I requested a desert which was not on the menu, it was delivered without fuss and it was magnificent!!! We will most definately be coming back!

Reviewed April 2, 2013

I visited with my girlfriend and a couple of friends on a Thursday night. The ambience, decor and atmosphere of the restaurant were great. An intimate setting for a relaxed dining experience. The service was fantastic, never rushed and those waiting on the tables were very welcoming and happily accommodating.
We started with a few entree's to share, the crispy little pig was a favourite, though at $21, somewhat on the expensive side for 4 small cubes of pork.
I followed up with more pork, the pork belly for main. At $32 this i thought was a very reasonable price considering the location, however i was left dissapointed with the size of the course. My friend had the beef wellington which she gave rave reviews and i had a touch of food envy there!
Finally i had Mrs Hives chocolate bar, which was rather nice although again a touch expensive for what it was at $20.
Overall i would say the restaurant has a fantastic setting and if they increased portion size a little it would warrant 4 stars. There are some hatted restaurants nearby who charge similar prices and give you more for your money. A good choice though for those staying at the Crown Metropol Hotel.

Reviewed March 31, 2013

Service fantastic! There were nine of us and my 9 month old grandson. The food was unbelievable. Every course was outstanding. The whole party enjoyed their food. The atmosphere was very relaxed. Will be a memory of Melbourne that will last forever! If you have the opportunity I would recommend you visit!

Reviewed March 23, 2013

This meal was part of a deal with the Crown Metropol Hotel. The staff were very friendly and very accommodating to my gluten free requests. My husband and I both had the King Salmon which was delicious with two side dishes. The service was very fast. We would definitely return.