“Pleasant surprise.”

Cuisines: French
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed January 1, 2013

New years day dinner, wasn't expecting much after a very disappointing visit to the previous restaurant in this spot. On arrival the decor was almost the same so expectations were lowered even further, fortunately it only took a few minutes to discover mr hive is a slick operation. Staff have the right mix of formality and friendliness and were very attentive without intruding. We had the 3 course set menu and were amazed at the amount and quality of food placed on the table, 3 entrees, main and 3 sample desserts. Very impressive overall, recommended for a classy but not uptight evening, a bit pricy but not excessively so but most importantly we walked out feeling we got our money's worth which isn't always the case in some so called fine dining restaurants.

1  Thank Ogertron3000
There are newer reviews for Mr. Hive

Reviewed December 14, 2012

Had a perfect steak at Mr Hive on Friday night. I had read about this restaurants at the food and wine festival so I had it n my list of restaurants. After working up an appetite ice skating...we headed to Crown and came across Mr Hive. At 10pm at night we got the last table for two.

I had the steak served with a salad of rocket, radish and warmed mushrooms...a gorgeous wine reduction sauce. The presentation and flavours were fabulous. My friend had a steak served with an Asian flair with tasty sliced crispy onions.

I didn't give this 5 only because they could make some improvements with the service. Our drinks seemed to take a while and we had asked for some chips straight up but they came out with the meals.

The price is up there in terms of cost but this steak was absolutely worth it.

1  Thank ShazzaDa
Reviewed December 6, 2012

Although this place is a bit tricky to find (on Level 1 of the Crown Metropol Hotel, but with little - actually no - signage) - it is very nice. The service is warm and friendly and the food is delicious. For entree, I had smoked rainbow trout and my companion had rabbit, both presented beautifully. The trout was very tasty indeed. We then enjoyed grilled swordfish (me) and roasted blue eye cod in chicken broth (my companion), both very delicious and beautifully presented once again. The desserts looked delicious and very generous servings - but we didn't indulge - not even the famous Mrs Hive's Chocolate Bar with Peanuts and Caramel, but we saw it being delivered to others and it did look good!! I had a cosmopolitan cocktail to start - very well made, and we had some Italian Pinot Grigio with dinner. I liked it all a lot - I will definitely be back.

1  Thank Ali_Hawkins
Reviewed November 30, 2012

Dined at Mr Hive in November 2012. Entrees approx $18, main meals $30-$55.
Ordered the salmon. When it arrive thought it was a scallop. Even the meat meals we small portions. Overall, expensive meals and very small servings. The quality of the food was good but after a couple of hours we were hungry. Not value for money.

Reviewed November 9, 2012

The only thing I I liked during my dining experience here was the saltbush lamb rack - it was simply delightful! I ordered prawns as my started and there was no flavor, no dips , no nothing. Very boring and costly! I asked the waiter if he could bring me some chillies and he said he didn't have any? Poor service overall!