“Love the food”

Cuisines: Asian
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Central Business District
Reviewed August 28, 2014

My wife and I think this is one our favourite places to eat! Asian infusions which will impress, funky staff, reasonably priced, it is a tuck shop so don't come with a family of 6 or more! This is suitable for 4 max as there will be a line =) well worth the wait.

Write a ReviewReviews (4,770)

Reviewed August 27, 2014

My partner and I ate here recently and though the waitress warned us we ordered the smashed green papaya salad ($16) and Crying Tiger Wagyu beef ($29) which were both quite hot. We enjoyed the green papaya salad but not the crying tiger beef - it was very wet and sloppy and if waygu a lower grade and probably unnecessary in a hot dish like this. We had expected something like an upmarket Thai beef salad but it was so drenched all crispness was gone and we didn't finish it (neither did the diners at the next table who had also ordered it). We also had the crispy barramundi with green apple salad ($27) which was very good. We finished off sharing a dessert of coconut sago with sweet corn ice cream which my Asian partner thought was very nice and sweet! You cannot book unless you are a large group (10 or more) so be prepared to queue - we went at 2.30pm on a Friday and really didn't have long to wait but there seemed to be a steady stream of diners all afternoon. The tables are very close together as per many popular Melbourne restaurants. The servings are quite large and if you order the right things it is good value for money. Not a place to linger though - rapid turnover seems to be the go.

Reviewed August 27, 2014 via mobile

If you have to wait, go
downstairs to Gogo bar for an hour, it's a funky bar with sake and very mellow atmosphere. We waited around 40 minutes and our group of 5 were seated upstairs and ordered the banquet option. The food was absolutely fantastic, very flavorsome and there were heaps of different dishes to try. My only complaint would be that with a few of the dishes, we only received 4 portions? After letting the waiter know we were short a serve of the entree and a dessert, we were told that they only came in servings of 4 and the restaurant had to 'budget their portions'. Confusing as we had paid for 5 peoples banquets? If you are unlucky enough to get the obnoxious Italian waiter as your server, try to ignore his rudeness and unprofessionalism or it may spoil an otherwise great experience.

Reviewed August 27, 2014

everytime we are in Melb we make sure we eat here. The food is fabulous,the service is great and the atmosphere is cool. Sit at the bar and watch the show in the kitchen!

Reviewed August 26, 2014

Having read some of the glowing reviews on Trip Advisor, I was really looking forward to eating at Chin Chin. As we were on holiday we walked in to the restaurant at 2.30pm on a Tuesday for a late lunch, and the restaurant was about half full. It had a wonderful vibrant atmosphere. We were given a copy of the lengthy menu which immediately had our mouths watering. Our waitress, Karla, was wonderful, helpful but not intrusive and took the time to explain the menu and the portion sizes to us. Over a generous glass of wine we considered whether we would attempt the "feed me" option, but in the end took Karla's advice and for the 2 of us (my husband and I) we had 2 entrees (sashimi and DYI spring rolls), a main and a salad. All of the food was AMAZING, it was absolutely one of the best meals I have had. The service was also top range with all of the staff we had contact with being pleasant and very knowledgeable about the food. This is a must for anyone visiting Melbourne. If at all possible go outside of normal meal times, but if you do have to queue, it is definitely worth the wait.