“Fantastic food”

Cuisines: Asian
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Central Business District
Reviewed August 20, 2013

Arrived about 2pm on a Monday arv for a late lunch, Chin Chin was packed but they still had room for a couple more. We ordered our entrees, DIY sring rolls, corn fritters and dumplings - all were magnificent. We then ordered pad Thai, s&p calamari and crispy skinned duck. We hadn't had breakfast and yes, our yes we're bigger than our bellies. We were sooooo stuffed. Pad thai was Delish, calamari was ok, have had better and my hubby said the duck was fab. We interspersed all this food with some beer and cocktails and walked out $194 lighter, pretty reasonable, we thought. Only complaint, this new funky seating idea where you sit with strangers isn't for me. I get that you fit more people in, but a conversation is very difficult.

Write a ReviewReviews (4,599)

Reviewed August 18, 2013

It's the "in" place in Melbourne right now and as Melbournians would attest, once you make this list, you will be inundated. You cant fault the food - wonderfully fresh, a wide menu selection and a very clever "feed me" option - and judging by the fellow patrons on the Sunday we went, most people opted for this. I wouldnt do it again though, because the dishes come thick and fast and one dish morphs into the other.

As many have said, the restaurant accepts no reservations (which doesnt bother me). I had arranged to meet a mate there at 12.30pm Sunday. He was waiting in the bar downstairs (a good place to wait and have a drink - music is funky (old vinyl turntables) but the service was a bit slow) but I am being a bit picky.

Staff were extremely friendly and professional and came and got us when a table was ready. Calling it a table is unfair. Chris Lucas has obviously got someone with a PhD in Yield Management from one of the major airlines - because they pack em wide and they pack em deep. You cant swing a cat in the place. Dont go if you are on a hot date or you are wanting to confess your undying love for someone because they wont be able to hear a word you say - but the tables either side of you will be. Chin Chin is perfect if you have been married for a long time, because you can simply eat and drink and not worry about talking!

Pork pancakes were excellent (like Peking Duck), the caramalised Pork was terrific, but a lot of the other dishes sort of blended into one another (only so much fresh mint, been shoots, coriander, spring onion and fish sauce you can stomach in one sitting). The quantity of food is not the issue - as they will keep feeding you if hungry if you opt for the Feed Me menu.

If I went again, I would go a la carte and ensure I ordered a couple of green vegetable dishes

Wine list is excellent - with a reserve white and red category. Have no idea why they serve Singha beer though - wouldn't wash my dog in it let alone pay $9 a glass.

Its a happening place, plenty of buzz, plenty of atmosphere, great fresh Asian inspired food with a terrific wine list and a team of pro's running the place. You just have to set your expectations appropriately.

Reviewed August 18, 2013

We took the "Just feed me option! And wow it was incredible. We had a huge variety of dishes all as good as each other. Our waiter for the night was friendly and helpful and fun. We ate way to much as it was so delicious. Would not hesitate to go back. We arrived early just after 5 as we were going to a show, at this time we got a table straight away.

Reviewed August 17, 2013

We had been wandering around indecisively and decided to walk up the road nearest our hotel. The restaurant looked very busy so we thought we would give it a try. Staff were very helpful and narrowed down an extensive menu so we could make a quick choice. Food was great and the atmosphere was buzzing without being 'too much'. In a city with a vast number of restaurants this one is bursting at the seams which says it all really.

Reviewed August 15, 2013

As other reviewers have noted, Chin Chin gets very busy - and the no-bookings policy can frustrate due to the wait times, but if you time things well (or head to the downstairs bar for a while) and you should be in for a great meal. Our group took the $66 "Feed me" option and it was very good - dish after dish of impressive fresh flavours. I love how Australian farmers and suppliers combined with talented chefs can present such impressive food - we are lucky. And if a range of dishes inspired by various countries in Asia is today's modern-Australia, count me happy (and it you like some spice, the chilli side plate was a standout - four different and amazing chillies)

Being jam packed and squashy it was noisy, but not not so noisy that you couldn't converse at the table. Service was friendly and attentive - I thought they did a great job with the hospitality, which just added to the great food. Certainly worth a visit!