“I'd wait longer.”

Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Central Business District
“I'd wait longer.”
Reviewed November 6, 2012

"Oh darling, my life is far too busy to make reservations these days" said a typical Melbournian.
In keeping with this wave sweeping Melbourne, CHINCHIN has adopted a no reservations policy - and it works a treat!
The hustle and bustle atmosphere created from a muddle of flipping tables, bright neons, hot woks and screaming conversations - you'd think you were in Asia.
The food is brilliant. The drinks list snappy. The service intelligent.
I waited 90 minutes for a table for two - don't tell them but I'd wait longer.

• Visited September 2012

• Thai first
Perth
“Best Thai Food”
Reviewed November 5, 2012

I have been there three times this year and the experience never disappointed me. Every dish I had exceeded my expectation - consistently delicious! I could never fault it. It is the cleverest concept and I wish we have something like this in Perth. I will go back everytime I'm in Melbourne. I highly recommend this place.

Santa Barbara, California
“One of my top restaurants worldwide”
Reviewed November 4, 2012

Been here now twice while on business in Melbourne from the US. Always packed, always fun, and always some of the best food I've ever had. My business partner loves it so much he is flying his wife from Sydney to just have dinner here. If you are looking for amazing food and experience then look no further. This is it!

• Visited November 2012
Berwick, Australia
“Just the best food !”
Reviewed November 4, 2012

Just returned from dining at Chin Chin this evening , have to say - outstanding !
Efficient service in this busy establishment but its the food that's to die for .
Twice cooked beef short ribs , crispy duck the two absolute highlights of the main fare but the pork roll ups , the chicken wings and the crab cakes not far behind .
Wasn't going to have desert but because of the quality of all dishes thought why not , once again not disappointed , the coconut sago with sweet corn ice cream and the palm sugar ice cream sundae blew us away .
Nearly forgot the sun in law eggs rocked as well

• Visited November 2012
Melbourne, Australia
“Fabulous food as long as you're prepared to wait”
Reviewed November 1, 2012

I loved Chin Chin so much we returned the next night for the dinner as well.

The only down side is the fact that this restaurant does not take bookings over the phone and therefore one has to hope for availibility upon arrival. As it is very popular, and for a good reason, we had to wait downstairs in the bar for over an hour for the sms informing us that we have a table.
So excited and hungry we rushed upstairs to be notified we have 2 stools around the kithcen bar and that is where we'll be eating. Under the bar there are hooks to hang your hand bag or jacket..very clever.
Once the food and drinks order is placed service is real fast and yummy!!!
The second night we had a proper table which was much more comfortable then eating on bar.

If you dont want to wait for a long time, I would suggest to come early (about 5pm) to get onto that precious waiting list or arrive late at night as the kitchen closes around 11pm and you'll have a better chance of getting a table..or a stool!!

Nevertheless, the service was great, the menu is extensive and though it's not cheap for asian food it was fresh, creative, modern and delicious!! Even the ice cream/sorbet dessert.

I'll be back...