“Men's Creche!”

Australian Centre for the Moving Image
Ranked #20 of 433 things to do in Melbourne
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Australia's national museum of film, video games, digital culture and art - situated at the very heart of Melbourne in Federation Square.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Food available for purchase, Wheelchair access, Activities for young children, Stairs / elevator
Reviewed April 14, 2014

This is an amazing museum and I loved seeing what was on show but its value for me was how much my husband enjoyed it. I could go off looking at galleries and go shopping whilst he kept his cool in the ACMI. Everyone was happy. Great little restaurant there too so we could meet up for lunch or coffee.

Reviewed April 13, 2014

This was really good for kids and adults. Some of the holographic stuff was surprising - there was a table in front of me with books and stuff on it and and pages in a book turned over by themselves. I swear it looked like magic (obviously some sort of camera overhead). Oh, and there was a terrific surround-me movie of a dragon flying over a village, don't miss this..

3  Thank Pixiehat
Reviewed April 12, 2014

where do i start? never experienced anything quite like this before! it is absolutely amazing. So many interactive displays forget about just walking around looking at stuff, this place is all hands on and so much fun! the history of computers and gaming consoles was close to heart for me, saw my first computer in working order displayed here, (made me feel like an old geek). The very first Television was incredible, never seen that before! Heaps to do, and educational aswell, the family will love this place, the kids will be amused, its a winner on all levels

2  Thank Christopher M
Reviewed March 31, 2014

Finding free activities is always a plus. I walked in expecting to be bored (all arty and stuff) but the exhibit was about the evolution of video, sound and games. Was fun to look at lots of movies (and the best of australian ads!) but my favorite was the hands on part. We got to ply with touch screens, make sound, make shadow puppets and even make a matrix video of ourselves. Which kept our attention for 45min!
Never underestimate how fun and consuming interactive parts are even if it is something weird

3  Thank Surfs_up36
Reviewed March 30, 2014

beginning with the silent films & the first TV to the computer games of today. How the cartoons were made. It's amazing how far technology has come.