“Fun and interesting”

Australian Centre for the Moving Image
Ranked #21 of 433 things to do in Melbourne
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Australia's national museum of film, video games, digital culture and art - situated at the very heart of Melbourne in Federation Square.
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Bathroom facilities, Stairs / elevator, Wheelchair access, Food available for purchase
Reviewed December 10, 2012 via mobile

My boyfriend and I went there this morning and we lost the time. There are three galeries. One is permanent and is about games, television and movies. It is very interesting. The other two change from period to period and until March 2013 they will place two very good expositions. Worth the time!

There are newer reviews for Australian Centre for the Moving Image

Reviewed December 8, 2012

My girlfriend and I came here on our first day in Melbourne and were quite disappointed that they had already closed (the staff closed the escalator down right in front of us :[ ). And then we came back again on our last day in Melbourne.. It was great! Though we wish we could have stayed a little longer..

The Screen World is completely free and the exhibition is amazing! Pretty much whatever you can ask for if you're interested in media (tv, internet, video games, movies etc). Even my girlfriend thought this would be a great place to go on a date (not sure if other girls would agree on this). Definitely worth the visit! It is located just a straight road down from Flinders Street train station.

Reviewed November 30, 2012

If you love film you'll love this. Theres always something cool to see at ACMI. Check out their website to see what movies are showing. There's always something foreign or culty. The displays are very cool including props from pirates of the caribbean or costumes from Tim Burtons films. This place is good for kids, I'd definitely recommend it.

Reviewed November 19, 2012

I enjoyed seeing footage from old movies and TV shows that I remember from years ago. Seeing other items such as costumes, props and Oscars added to the interest. Tracing the development of film through the old equipment was also interesting.

Unfortunately a number of the exhibits were out of action which was a pity in a place which seems to want to encourage interactivity. I also thought it was not well laid out. The sound from some exhibits spilled over into other exhibits, and the flow of the story of moving image was not always clear. This museum has so much interesting stuff in it, it just needs better organisation.

Reviewed November 12, 2012

ACMI gets used for all sorts of events but a great idea is to go see a short arty film, or they also have exhibitions e.g. gaming exhibitions. it is a good idea to check the website to see upcoming events