I stayed for a couple of nights and find the easiest way to do this review is in a list
Big clean kitchen
1. They start playing music at 7am which could be heard in our room (twin) - it woke me up and is quite loud. I don't understand 1. Why it's necessary at 7am or 2. Why it's necessary in a corridor that has only rooms? This was a HUGE con for me because the location is otherwise quiet!
2. The hostel is literally in the middle of nowhere - there is no food around, no supermarket around, nothing - so you are basically forced to eat the food from the cafe (which was quite good though - very friendly tall guy behind the counter). Difficult to get your bearing because it's so residential.
3. The wifi was absolutely terrible. I am used to crappy wifi in hostels but this was beyond a joke - it dropped out every 10 mins then wouldn't reconnect, why bother really?
4. There was nothing to hold the bathroom door open, sounds a bit petty but the door was really quite heavy! Also the fan in there went all night!
5. The plumbing in the wall (from the room beside us) was deafening - again something that would wake you up!
The staff were lovely and helpful, obviously all these cons aren't their fault also the cafe was a nice place to hang!
While we were there it was very hot but our room stayed nice and cool without air con which I appreciated, however, I would not stay here again..I would prefer to pay more and stay somewhere else than deal with that music in the corridor ever again! Unbearable!!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Melbourne Metro YHA is a modern hostel located on the city fringe in leafy North Melbourne. This hostel is your relaxed home away from home that's only minutes from famous Queen Victoria Markets and walking distance to all the major attractions - the best of both worlds! Facilities include a tour desk for all your tour and transport needs within Victoria and Australia, free Wifi Hot Spot (Wifi Plus option also available), fully equipped self-catering kitchen, communal lounge areas, launderette, secure car parking (subject to availability - $10 per day) and DVD's for hire. Enjoy the rooftop with panoramic city views as well as a BBQ and lounges perfect for socializing and meeting fellow travellers. Each room is heated and comes with lockers and an individual bed light. Bathroom facilities are shared. Guests can choose from a range of bed types, including 4 and 8 multi-share, twin/double rooms with optional en suite, and family rooms. We can also book groups of up to 120 people, ideal for schools, sporting groups and international exchange programs. Within the hostel there are always lots of great activities on including movie nights, Safari Pete travel auctions, free comedy, wine & cheese nights and a great weekly pub crawl! Activities are updated regularly so check with our friendly reception to see what's on and to get the best local tour and travel advice. Talking about what's on, Melbourne is the events and sporting capital of Australia! Getting around is simple with a free map and MyKi cards available for purchase at the hostel reception. A tram stop is located just 500m from the hostel and the $5 Melbourne Visitor Shuttle Bus stop is only 5 minutes walk which loops Melbourne's best attractions. Take advantage of the cities vibrant events calendar including the Spring Racing Carnival, Australian Open Tennis, AFL matches, Melbourne International comedy festival, Melbourne Fringe Festival, Melbourne Festival, Melbourne Cup and year round markets, live music, film, food, art and fashion activities and events. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Orbitz, Expedia, Travelocity, Priceline, Ctrip TA, HostelWorld, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Agoda, Hotwire and Cheap Tickets so you can book your Melbourne Metro YHA reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Melbourne Metro Yha Hotel Melbourne