“Great budget motel in heart of CBD”
Review of City Square Motel

City Square Motel
Ranked #115 of 160 Hotels in Melbourne
Melbourne, Australia
“Great budget motel in heart of CBD”
Reviewed July 27, 2014

Such a good location and the staff were so nice & helpful.
I thought I may have experienced street noise on the Saturday night I stayed there being that I had to be up early sunday for the Run Melbourne Half Marathon event but no need to worry. No noise at all.
Room was fairly small but more than adequate. Very clean as well.
Will be staying there again whenever I need to stay in Melbourne's CBD.

Room Tip: Try and get a room at the rear I would guess
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
ELCitySqManagement, Front Office Manager at City Square Motel, responded to this review, September 6, 2014
Hi JJB316,

Thank you for the review of your recent stay.

It was really nice to hear that you had a wonderful stay with us and that the service was up to the mark.

We look forward to seeing again you when coming to Melbourne.

KC

Front Office Manager.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Landsborough, Australia
Reviewed July 26, 2014

I stayed in the standard single room. I went for the budget option so I understand you get what you pay for but thought there were quite a few things they could have done better.
Advertised "Complimentary Light breakfast" was a couple of tea and coffee bags. I did get two biscuits on the second night. They did advertise tea and coffee separately so I assume the biscuits were it.
The information booklet in the room was dirty and sticky and had the pamphlets were what to do in Melbourne - from 2005!
When I booked, it said free wifi was included. It wasn't given to me so I asked for it and they said it wasn't included. I showed them my printed out booking confirmation and they said they would give me 4 hours. I said I wanted it for the two nights I had paid for. After a lot of back and forth, they ended up giving me 12 hours and said I had to come down again the following day. I went to my room and the connection was so weak it just kept dropping out, so I gave up.
Airconditioning was very old and loud and everytime it kicked in the tv lost reception.
Location was great for walking around Swanston St and Fed Square but as such was very noisy.
Will do for budget accommodation if you are just using the room as a base, but they could definitely do better.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank QLDMel
shontinelle d, Guest Relations Manager at City Square Motel, responded to this review, March 9, 2015
Thank you for posting a review on Trip Advisor. It is really disappointing hear about some issues during your stay with us. We will definitely look into this and rectify it for future.

Devonport, Australia
Reviewed July 14, 2014

Stayed here with two kids and my friend, we booked using online provider that did not advertise rooms honestly ( advertised as queen plus double sofa) Rita sorted us out and I would recommend dealing directly with them to save this problem. Any how we were booked into a different room consisting of queen and single bed plus a single sofa. The room was spotless and smelt good. There was no noise between the rooms nor the bathroom as there was a nifty dual door set up, plenty of hot water for showers and baths. The location is fantastic, just out the front door and your on the CBD, eateries and trams at the doorstep. Just want to reinforce the cleanliness again, it was a very pleasant experience thanks Rita, With kindness Haidee

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank TasTravelBugs
shontinelle d, Guest Relations Manager at City Square Motel, responded to this review, March 10, 2015

Daylesford, Australia
Reviewed July 4, 2014 via mobile

We have stayed here a few times before and found it suited our needs for a budget price.
Our most recent trip was an overnighter. This particular room has had a makeover and was neat and clean. On the second floor overlooking Swanston St., we didn't find the noise too bothersome.
My one complaint is taking a $250 security deposit ( nearly twice the room rate) which they did advise at the time of checking in would be held for a week (I think this is excessive, personally) but now, ten days later, they still have not released it.
For travellers on a budget, holding this sum back for this length of time makes the affordability questionable.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Grimace60
Thank you for your recent review of your stay with us. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed staying with us and had wonderful time in the CBD. Its unfortunate to hear of your issue. We will definitely look into this and rectify it for future.

Reviewed May 22, 2014

I stayed there in March with two other friends. It is in a great location - close to everything. The room itself is nothing special but the location makes up for it. I definitely recommend this place if you want somewhere cheap right in the city.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank food_lovers26
Thank you for your review of your stay with us. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed staying with us and had wonderful time in the CBD.

Canberra
Reviewed May 7, 2014

I've been staying at this budget motel for almost 30 years. It was cheap and clean with friendly staff in an excellent location: a perfect place for me to stay several times a year when in Melbourne. Prices go up, of course, but I still stayed there because they were fixed for any night of the week. Now they follow other places and price according to how much they can get for any given night. Today I did a check for tonight and found the City Square cheapest standard single room is $135, while the Ibis is $139. I stayed at the City Square last week and was feezing cold as the aircon now seems fixed at a low temp and keeps shutting off. The sheets were like boards, so I couldn't wrap the covers round myself to get warm. For $4 extra a night at the Ibis I can get warmth, comfort in bed, Foxtel tv, a light room (instead of a gloomy) and a fridge that has a bar in the door so my milk doesn't fall out every time I open it. I will also get a table/dsk for my laptop, while at the City Square the single rooms only have a very low coffee table so I have to set up the ironing board if I don't want to break my back crouching over it. It's a very disappointing way to end such a long association.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back, otherwise you will hear the trams and traffic.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
3 Thank AngelaD17

Seaside Heights, New Jersey
Reviewed May 6, 2014

This is an Econolodge brand hotel. It is a budget hotel with a great location right in the middle of Swanson Street (which does not allow cars.) It is across the street from Town Hall. Swanson street is busy and active both day and night. There are many, many restaurants and stores. This hotel is in the center of all the action.

We stayed in a Queen room. The room was clean and fairly large for a hotel in the middle of the city. The bath was good and bed comfortable. There was a refrigerator, kettle and toaster in the room. They provide a “light” breakfast which means tea or instant coffee and 2 slices of white bread for each person. They do provide butter and vegemite. There is a laundry facility: 2 washers and 2 dryers. They worked well.

There is not 24 hour coverage at the front desk so if you plan to arrive very late be aware. The hotel is in the middle of the block on Swanson Street. Cars are not allowed on Swanson so if you arrive by taxi you will be dropped off at the end of the block and need to walk carrying your luggage the ½ block to the hotel. I share this in case you have limited mobility or a lot of luggage.

I would stay here again.

If you find this review helpful, I would appreciate a helpful vote. Thanks.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room away from Swanson Street.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple